Does eating too many carbs lead to diabetes?

Options
124»

Replies

• mtiheartmuscle
    Options
    people fail to recognize that fats/genetics is what causes diabetes in most cases, not sugars or carbs. read up on it!

What he said.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    edited earlier posts to save space...

Its weird how you know exactly what causes t2 diabetes when no research seems to have pinpointed an exact cause yet. How does an athletic low weight person still become prediabetic and will likely be type 2 diabetic then? They're not overfat or skinny fat so what else can be the cause?

Researchers are learning more and more about viral infections and their ability to cause diabetes (and other diseases). Here's an interesting study, looking at the link between HSV-1 and Type 2 diabetes. There is also research showing a significant relationship between chronic HepC and Type 2 diabetes.

HSV-1 study: http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/28/2/435.full

The thinking is that the viral infection causes chronic inflammation that damages the pancreas. "The inflammation related with abnormal function of β-cells and mitochondrial dysfunction after HSV-1 infection might be helpful to elucidate the association of HSV-1 infection with type 2 diabetes observed in this study."

Not saying you have Herpes... LOL. Just saying that there are potential triggers for diabetes other than obesity. However, in the US, more than half of all diabetics are overweight, while the amount of people with diabetes that are normal weight is much less than that.

Unfortunately... there's a study that says there's a higher mortality weight for those diabetics at normal weight. Potentially because their diabetes is not managed as aggressively. http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1309174

My overly simplistic morale of the story:
    If you are overweight with a family history of diabetes... lose weight to avoid/delay the onset of diabetes.
    If you are normal weight with a family history of diabetes... try to keep your weight in the normal range to avoid/delay the onset of diabetes.
    If you are normal weight and are pre-diabetic or diabetic... make sure you manage your diabetes aggressively. Also... I'd be following the research on the relationship between diet and mitochondrial repair.

From what I've read about hsv-1 is that about 90% of the population has it but not everyone gets cold sores. Its pretty much as common as herpes zoster aka chicken pox. I'd have to read more into your links when I get home but I'm not sure if that could be the cause

It's not a great study in that it wasn't powered very high. They looked at people with diabetes, and saw a higher correlation with HSV-1 (after eliminating those with HCV, since that's confounding factor). They key message of the study was that virus-induced inflammation could be a factor in the development of diabetes.
  • simonicx
    Options
    I'm still not convinced that carbohydrates do not contribute to diabetes. But, I am convinced that carbohydrates, in copious amounts in the modern diet, has led us here.

As for the cause of diabetes -- no one currently knows exactly...or, has released the information.

What we do know is that diabetes has exploded in recent decades -- more so than can merely be attributed to genetics alone. At the same time, obesity has skyrocketed too. Obesity commonly leads to type 2 diabetes (but, not always -- in both regards).
  • HyacintheAlcuin
    Options
    From someone who just spent the past 3 years working with my mother's doctors and learning everything I could about Diabetes, I can comment on this question with some level of knowledge.
    When you eat carbs, they are broken down into sugar in your body. Insulin is required to process that sugar and further break it down where your body can use it for fuel. If the sugar doesn't get broken down, it crystalizes and makes its way thru your blood stream and organs like tiny shards of glass, cutting and scraping as it goes thru, leaving scarring in its place.

The amount of carbs you eat and the rate those carbs break down in your body, determines the rate that your blood sugar level rises, and how much insulin is needed to break down the sugar. Repeated high amounts of sugar in your blood stresses your pancreas by forcing it to release higher and higher amounts of insulin. At some point, your body will become insulin resistant, and your pancreas can no longer provide enough insulin to break down the sugar in your system. At what level your body will get to this point, can be based on many factors, including genetics, and activity levels.

People who have a certain body type, a higher BF%, and are more sedentary, can reach the level of insulin resistance quicker than others may reach that point. So some people can get away with eating higher amounts of carbs and sugars for quite a while, but eventually if they continue to over stress their insulin system, they are at risk of developing Diabetes.

Eating higher fiber carbs can slow down the breakdown into sugar, allowing more time for the pancreas to release the insulin in lower amounts. Exercise is also very beneficial in preventing Diabetes.

It is very important to get your sugar levels checked regularly, and if your doctor is concerned with your number being too high, then immediately change your eating habits. It is not just a "little high sugar" that you can simply take a pill and all will be fine.
    Pills turn into shots, and shots turn into more shots, and that turns into kidney failure, and dialysis, and after years of ignoring your doctor's advice, your family gets to watch you die a slow and painful death.

So does eating too many carbs lead to Diabetes? The answer is YES. The question is just HOW many carbs are too many for YOU.

This is about Type 2 Diabetes, NOT Type 1, which is an inherited disease that is not caused by diet.
    close but no cigar.... see almost everything you eat gets broken down into glucose... it's what your body uses to make ATP its just certain types of sugars cause your body to send MASSIVE amounts of insulin to your bloodstream which if it happens to often can "break" your pancreas and causes some sort of reaction in which your body is no longer capable of producing enough insulin to break down the sugar you ingest .... so voila! type 2 diabetes....
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    people fail to recognize that fats/genetics is what causes diabetes in most cases, not sugars or carbs. read up on it!

^^^ genetics and obesity lead to diabetes, not eating too many carbs. I'm at a healthy weight but still at high risk b/c it's so prevalent in my family, including Dad, who has Type II adult onset and is about the only case of adult onset diabetes I've EVER seen that wasn't caused by obesity. But his dad was Type I insulin-dependent so that explains that.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

^^^ genetics and obesity lead to diabetes, not eating too many carbs. I'm at a healthy weight but still at high risk b/c it's so prevalent in my family, including Dad, who has Type II adult onset and is about the only case of adult onset diabetes I've EVER seen that wasn't caused by obesity. But his dad was Type I insulin-dependent so that explains that.

Obesity doesn't always lead to type 2 diabetes. If that was true, then non obese people wouldn't get it yet they still do quite often.

I'm starting to lean towards the research that points to liver damage from an unhealthy diet causing metabolic issues which eventually lead to diabetes. No one still knows what causes diabetes so everything is all theory.
  • marinebiologist_girl
    Options
    Diabetes is not ALWAYS hereditary, I must point out re: some of the comments.

The only reason eating too many carbs would lead to diabetes is if you're eating sugar-y carbs only, or excessively. It wouldn't be the carbs causing diabetes but the sugar.
  • hanniejong
    hanniejong Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I agree with the fat/genetics that was mentioned and others too, but in my case I know the lack of moving about at the time is what got me diabetes, I just sat and sat here and did nit much else and believe me that is no good at all.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Oh and just a little more info, obesity is not central to getting diabetes, passmetheduck... read my post cause maybe it will enlighten you and others to the true reasons behind it....and its not just too much food and being overweight....cause my hubby is normal weight and he was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in April and had a starting blood sugar of 445.
    Define "normal weight". I have yet to meet someone with type 2 diabetes who was not overweight, so I find this interesting. What was his meal frequency and composition like in the time leading up to the diagnosis?

I know a girl who weighs 110lbs and is prediabetic. Thin people get type 2 diabetes as well. As a matter of fact, they dont live as long as overweight diabetics and they dont respond to medical intervention as well.

Yup. My MIL's fiance is a healthy, thin, VERY active type 2 diabetic. Diagnosed only in the last few years.
  • winkerbean
    winkerbean Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Or is that just a myth?

It's a myth. There is no one food that causes diabetes. If you have a family history of type two diabetes the current running hypothesis is that being over weight can make type two manifest itself. Of course, I have heard that there are other studies that have suggested that type two causes weight gain.

If you are concerned about developing type two then your best bet would be to talk to your primary care physician and see if you're at risk. If you are they can run tests to see if you do indeed have it.
  • winkerbean
    Options
    Diabetes is not ALWAYS hereditary, I must point out re: some of the comments.

The only reason eating too many carbs would lead to diabetes is if you're eating sugar-y carbs only, or excessively. It wouldn't be the carbs causing diabetes but the sugar.

Ooooh ok. No. No no no no no no. Sugar does NOT cause diabetes. Carbs do not cause diabetes. Sugary carbs do not cause diabetes. It IS more often than not hereditary. However, in my case, I developed type one diabetes at the age of 12. No one else in my family had type one and to this day I am the only type one - my body attacked itself following an illness and shut down insulin production.

Back in the day, when we had more..rudimentary methods of insulin therapy diabetics were told to steer clear of sugar - many type twos are put onto very basic insulin treatment or are told to try to bring their blood sugar down by diet and exercise are told to avoid a lot of sugar/carbs. But that is because they are no longer making insulin correctly on their own so their bodies have a hard time processing certain foods correctly. I think a lot of people confuse this "avoid sugar/carbs" thing with sugar/carbs being the cause of any kind of diabetes (there are more than two types, btw).

Please, for the love of any diabetic you may know, do not go around spouting this "sugar causes diabetes" crap as truth.
  • winkerbean
    Options
    The reason I added about the food consumption is because of the feeling of hunger that people who are diabetic have when their blood sugar isn't controlled, hence the weight gain. I am not saying that everyone that eats that way will become diabetic but what I am saying is that when someone's blood sugar is uncontrolled that they are constantly hungry, even immediately after they eat. This can cause them to overeat because the cells, not getting the food they need, sends a message to the brain that they are still hungry, which sends message to the stomach to growl. I experienced the hunger pains right after I ate just before I was diagnosed so I know this firsthand. Just imagine this, you just ate a big dinner, are stuffed, and not 5 minutes after you finish the meal, your stomach is growling and hurting like you haven't eaten at all. That is what it is like, not fun. This is where the over consumption of food comes into play. It's not because a diabetic chooses to overeat but the body is saying feed me even though a meal was just eaten. If you haven't experienced this feeling, don't assume that a person with this going on can go without eating, it would be similar to a normal person who hasn't eaten at all and their stomach is growling, upset and hurting. They eat as do people who have diabetes and don't know it, but it is a totally different scenario. I am gonna shut up now, have posted enough on this subject.

Oooo, I can attest to this. When my blood sugar is running high I feel sleepy, cranky, and HUNGRY. Before I was dxed with type one I was hungry all of the time - however I would eat and eat and eat and still lost a ton of weight. I had no idea that type two diabetics had similar reactions - guess I just never thought about it before and assumed that since they can (usually) still produce insulin that it wasn't as much of an issue as it is for me.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Infectious design? The genome likes to move the furniture around, no?
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    and what can we do with the theory/possibility that diabetes was an adaptation to the last ice age?
  • larryc0923
    larryc0923 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    From someone who just spent the past 3 years working with my mother's doctors and learning everything I could about Diabetes, I can comment on this question with some level of knowledge.
    When you eat carbs, they are broken down into sugar in your body. Insulin is required to process that sugar and further break it down where your body can use it for fuel. If the sugar doesn't get broken down, it crystalizes and makes its way thru your blood stream and organs like tiny shards of glass, cutting and scraping as it goes thru, leaving scarring in its place.

The amount of carbs you eat and the rate those carbs break down in your body, determines the rate that your blood sugar level rises, and how much insulin is needed to break down the sugar. Repeated high amounts of sugar in your blood stresses your pancreas by forcing it to release higher and higher amounts of insulin. At some point, your body will become insulin resistant, and your pancreas can no longer provide enough insulin to break down the sugar in your system. At what level your body will get to this point, can be based on many factors, including genetics, and activity levels.

People who have a certain body type, a higher BF%, and are more sedentary, can reach the level of insulin resistance quicker than others may reach that point. So some people can get away with eating higher amounts of carbs and sugars for quite a while, but eventually if they continue to over stress their insulin system, they are at risk of developing Diabetes.

Eating higher fiber carbs can slow down the breakdown into sugar, allowing more time for the pancreas to release the insulin in lower amounts. Exercise is also very beneficial in preventing Diabetes.

It is very important to get your sugar levels checked regularly, and if your doctor is concerned with your number being too high, then immediately change your eating habits. It is not just a "little high sugar" that you can simply take a pill and all will be fine.
    Pills turn into shots, and shots turn into more shots, and that turns into kidney failure, and dialysis, and after years of ignoring your doctor's advice, your family gets to watch you die a slow and painful death.

So does eating too many carbs lead to Diabetes? The answer is YES. The question is just HOW many carbs are too many for YOU.

This is about Type 2 Diabetes, NOT Type 1, which is an inherited disease that is not caused by diet.
    Thank you, very informative!!
  • winkerbean
    Options
    and what can we do with the theory/possibility that diabetes was an adaptation to the last ice age?

Hmmm. Could you be MORE vague? Maybe just one word references to stuff you've read?
  • yourfitnessenemy
    yourfitnessenemy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have yet to meet someone with type 2 diabetes who was not overweight, so I find this interesting.

Really? Diabetes runs in my family and my husbands family. While most of those that have it are fat, a few are quite thin. They are those people who can eat a lot of crap without gaining weight, so they do. My BIL who is built somewhat like Barney Fife was just diagnosed as pre-diabetic.

5'2", 105 lbs, vegetarian, marathon runner, normal cholesterol, normal/low blood pressure, non-drinker, non-smoker. I've only been diagnosed by a GP, though, and am waiting to see a endo for testing for LADA, which makes more sense with my stats and family history of type 1: http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/54/suppl_2/S68.full