The Claim: For Better Muscle Tone, Go Lighter and Repeat

Options
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/06/health/06real.html?pagewanted=print

THE FACTS

Lifting heavy weights makes you big and bulky — or at least that’s the conventional wisdom. It’s the reason many women (and some men) who want slim and “toned” physiques opt for lighter weights, lifted more times.

But the notion is not supported by science. Producing bulky muscles requires not just heavy weights but heavy calorie consumption as well, typically far above the 2,000 daily calories recommended for many adults.

For people who lift weights to tone up and slim down, experts say, a regimen that includes a combination of challenging weights and fewer repetitions can help significantly. In a 2002 study, for example, scientists looked at what happened when women performed various resistance exercises at different weights and repetitions (85 percent of their maximum ability for 8 reps, versus 45 percent for 15). Subjects lifting more weight fewer times burned more energy and had a greater metabolic boost after exercise.

In another study published last year, scientists followed 122 women for six years. They found that those who were assigned to do resistance exercises three times a week — sets of 8 reps at 70 to 80 percent of their ability — lost the most weight and body fat. A similar two-year study of women who did strength training with challenging weight twice weekly found similar effects on body and “intra-abdominal” fat.

THE BOTTOM LINE

For better tone, try fewer reps and more challenging weights.

ANAHAD O’CONNOR scitimes@nytimes.com

#####################################################################
The above was "ripped from the headlines" at the NTY - thought my MFP friends might find it interesting :)

Replies

• xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I read that article too. I always want to laugh at women who tell me they don't want to lift too much weight because they don't want to "get huge"!
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    This is EXACTLY the philosophy behind the well researched and well presented workout ChaLEAN Extreme by Beachbody. It is an amazing program and will get the results described by the article above.
    Risa
  • gadgetgizzmo
    Options
    I do 4 days of weight lifting a week. Upper body twice and lower body twice. My fitness instructor told me on the first two days to do 3 sets of 8 at the hardest weight I can manage and the next two days 3 sets of 15 at a lighter weight.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    There is a lots of different reasons to lift. You may want to lift just to tone your self. Or lift to sculpt yourself as a body builder, or as a power lifter or as my daughter who does Olympic weightlifting. They all work on different muscle groups. You need to know what you want then you can find the right program for you.
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    Hahah I can back this with personal experience. I've played rugby and done extreme sports almost my entire life, so I've always been fairly strong. I've also always really liked food, thus why I'm on here to keep myself in line depsite a ridiculously active lifestyle.

Annnnywhoo, I've always had a "muscular" physique. I'm a solid girl, so I was always afriad to lift anything heavier than maybe 5lbs. Since starting parkour, I've had to "suk it up and deal" as far as heavier weights go, because I train with guys. After years of swingin around 3lb dumbeels and looking the same, my arms are finally starting to look really good! Not to mention its addictive, I look forward to working out now, because I push myself as hard as I can now, and seeing the increases in the amounts I can lift is really encouraging!
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Always be proud of who you are. You go girl. My daughter always lifted all through high school with the football team she was the one to beat. She's a solid girl to always has been. She is a member of Team USA and training at the Olympic Training Center In Colorado Springs. When not lifting so can be just as feminine as the next girl. You can take the training as far as you want to go
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I'm sitting in my advanced strength and conditioning class right now talking about reps and sets for different goals.

Here's a mini breakdown

Strength 4-6 reps per set
    Hypertrophy 8-15 reps per set
    Endurance 15-20 reps per set
    Power 3 or less reps at sub rep max per set
  • KeriD
    KeriD Posts: 324
    Options
    Thanks for sharing......I'm going to give this a try starting tomorrow :smile:
  • emarcia28
    emarcia28 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I read that article too. I always want to laugh at women who tell me they don't want to lift too much weight because they don't want to "get huge"!

meee too! i have so many friends that constantly say that. I try to explain but they do not listen
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting.

The other thing that a lot of women who are afraid of "bulking up" forget (or don't know) is that building significant muscle requires a calorie SURPLUS. If you aren't eating more than you are burning, you aren't going to be adding a huge amount of muscle. Period. (Nevermind the hormonal factors that make it difficult for women to bulk up.)