Anyone else suffer from Binge eating?

Options
13»

Replies

• twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I am not a binge eater but I am am a mother and also an ex psychologist. I am 52 years old and mainly looked after children and teenagers/adults with abuse that led to eating disorders. I have 20 years experience in the same field.

If I can be of support to anyone then I am happy to help? I don`t add friends but am always happy and here on PM each day.

I hope you all don`t mind me adding this reply....and I wish you all a good festive holiday...please pm me if I can be of any support to you?

I am in the UK so time difference may be a little problem but I will always reply to any pm :smile:
  • georgie_lou
    georgie_lou Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Here guys!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/743-binge-eating-support-group

It's a great group.

Merry Christmas!
  • JuliaCTurk
    JuliaCTurk Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was Binging so bad before, now when get the urge I just take a shower, do my nails or go on pinterest it totally ditracts me and I always have a bottle of water with me where ever I go!!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I find when I am on holidays like now I tend to binge. There is a Comfort Eaters Anonymous group on here and one called Emotional Eating.
  • HeatherOberholtzer
    Options
    YES!!!! I have noticed this past week most of my calories are in the snack catagory :( I have been over my amount for 4 days!!! I need to break it....I am like an addict with this stuff :(
  • marlapaints
    Options
    I am really new to MFP and literally just had a 3 hour binge......came here to find anything to get my mind off the cycle that swallows me whole (pun intended!) all the time. I am SO happy to have found this group!
    I am a recovering addict and sometimes it just seems that I've traded all those life destroying habits for another....it can be so soul destroying.
    However I also have to say that I keep on pulling myself back up - and I'll do it again. I've lost 26lbs in the last 3 months - lots of fall-and-get-ups along the way. I think we need to recognize that we are responsible for our choices and to also forgive ourselves for our all too human frailities, we need to feel proud that we are here and we are doing our best and we will keep moving forward.
    So, thanks for letting me know I'm not alone in all of this and for making that binge only last 3 hours instead of 3 months. I will be checking in here from now on.
  • rima933
    rima933 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Omg so I'm not alone! Bump for later.
  • Odiliawine
    Odiliawine Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with binging. I'll do great for like 10 days and then I go crazy on 3000 calories over my limit on pizza. I think logging it helps too because it helps keep my accountable after it's all done.

I've also found that I've been eating, not because I'm hungry, but because I'm afraid I'll be hungry later which tends to start a binge. It sounds ridiculous to be afraid of being hungry, but I am and it's caused a lot of problems for me...
  • StarTrekkinDelta
    StarTrekkinDelta Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel. I binge when I get overly stressed. Recently I binged so often I gained back 15 of my 22lost pounds. Now, I have been sick for a month and I lost all of those pounds. But yesterday I binged really badly. I went past 2500 calories and 'didn't even bother logging them. Everything crashed down on me yesterday. My Grandmother passed away Thursday, school has been a hassle because I have missed an entire month, the doctors can't figure out what's wrong or what to do about it, I havn't seen any of my friends since before Thanksgiving Break, etc etc etc. So, today I went into recovery mode. I ate very well all day long drank lots of cold water, got a little bit of exercise in, took a freezing shower (burns calories, supposedly boosts motabolism, and always makes me feel better anyway) got dressed in something comfortable and relaxed. Relaxing helped me not to stress and to make better eating choices and I am already feeling a million times better and seeing/feeling results. Goodluck on your journey! You will be alright. Just get back on that horse and keep riding! Best of luck(:
  • Belinda658
    Belinda658 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I don't "suffer"
    I choose to manage
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I don't suffer from binge eating... I enjoy every minute of it>>>

OK, now to be real. I have a history of binging and emotional eating. I seemed to be driven toward consuming any amount of sweets I could find... king size candy bars, cookies, chips, ... snack cakes... (Zingers were the best)... All in one night. After starting to take control and set a goal for losing weight, I changed my eating habits and after about a month began an exercise regimen. (Jan 2012). The other day, I was at a staff party and I had several sweet things that I used to would have downed in a moment. I did have several of these items but nowhere near what I would have last year. The result was the same type of sugar rush that I had had when I would eat a king size candy bar and package of cookies before... Only thing is that this time it was not a positive feeling.. It actually felt bad... I found myself looking for something of nutritional content because I simply could not stand the idea of that being all I had in my system and the sugar rush actually made me feel BAD .. not good... It tasted ok but honestly, I really wanted the nutrition... I no longer really crave such items. Could I go back to that lifestyle? Absolutely. Do I want to? No. It takes time but we can retrain ourselves. Exercise is also a great way to help curb some of those binge tendencies.

This is not to say I never eat sweets... I do. I had a Key Lime tart @ O'charley's today as a desert... It came with my meal and I ate it and enjoyed it. Later this evening I even had an ice cream cone... I also went to the gym and burned off 1100 calories and did my lower body workout today too so I am only slightly over my caloric intake for the day. I snack throughout the evening at times but I am careful to not overdo it and try to avoid non-nutritional foods. I eat berries, grapes, oranges, apples, nuts, Yogurt, and/or granola bars... Sometimes I go over my goal by quite a bit but those are usually non-exercise days. Other days I am significantly under... those are usually exercise days.. I try to average my goal calories over a period of a week or so... I have lost a total of 116 pounds and feel so much better that I used to in the prior lifestyle.

Best wishes on attaining your goal.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Hello, often times binging is a result of emotional eating. What makes most of us feel better? CARBS :frown: I never binged after eating a nice salad with some grilled chicken :laugh: So I found for myself that when I can cut out White foods such as flour, sugar, salt and rice, I do NOT have urges to binge, also, when I eat several small meals per day, helps to avoid being so hungry that you eat everything in sight. Of course THAT takes pre-planning, but I figure I'M worth it, so I usually plan my food for the next day, the day before. I log it on MFP and I try to stay with it, of course I can adjust it if needed, but for the most part, it takes away that "what am I going to eat" dilemma. Good luck to ALL of us :flowerforyou:

WHEAT bread... I love me some wheat bread... and is so much better for us.
  • purpleroxmysocks
    purpleroxmysocks Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have to try so hard to not eat all day, it's terrible. I am so addicted to food...
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Definitely a binge eater. Add me for mutual support anyone :) I am an active daily user!
  • Happyme2009
    Happyme2009 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I binge when I have an excuse.... usually weekends, Christmas, etc.... or when foods which aren't normally available to me suddenly appear.... like someone ordering pizza.... or a box of chocolates for share..... feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like....
  • AllTheSparkles
    AllTheSparkles Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I do, well I used to binge really badly until I was about 20-21is. The frequency dropped, but the intensity increased, so I did what nerds like me do; I started reading everything I could get my hands on and cobbled together a pretty effective emergency strategy to decrease the insanity. BUT there are still bad days, like today, when my mood is blah and I want to eat all the things. Add me if you want, I'm on daily and in a similar boat.
  • fstephanie4
    fstephanie4 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm a total binge eater. my emotions are way too linked with my food. it's to the point of worry for me. I've been doing a lot better but xmas hasn't helped. I'm trying to up my water intake to prevent it but its difficult. I always forget to drink :noway: odd i know.