Dark Chocolate...

Options

Replies

• Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I try to always purchase chocolate that is grown under the natural canopy of the rain forest and not chocolate companies that clear out the trees to build their own shade. I purchase Fair Trade and not chocolate companies that use children as slaves.
    Most definitely agree on purchasing fair trade over anything else!
    Understand the sentiment, but haven't got the cash to fork out. Since I moved, I have not been able to get a real job, and it might be a while that I am working this crap job. No extras for me, no organic for me. It is what it is.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    I also jumped from 70% to baking chocolate because I didn't want the extra sugar. It's actually really good if you let go of the idea that chocolate is supposed to be sweet. I like ghirardelli and Baker's brand, ghirardelli is a little easier to eat.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I try to always purchase chocolate that is grown under the natural canopy of the rain forest and not chocolate companies that clear out the trees to build their own shade. I purchase Fair Trade and not chocolate companies that use children as slaves.
    Most definitely agree on purchasing fair trade over anything else!
    Understand the sentiment, but haven't got the cash to fork out. Since I moved, I have not been able to get a real job, and it might be a while that I am working this crap job. No extras for me, no organic for me. It is what it is.

I understand and a lot of the time it is pretty hard to avoid. If I buy a granola bar, I probably don't know where the chocolate came from. My kids get chocolate at school. It's just the world we live in. So, no judgement from me. And I'm sure many of the products I purchased have an unsavory journey to the store, so it would be impossible to fully avoid or to judge anyone for their purchases. I try when I can (the chocolate industry is terrible).
  • melmckay99
    Options
    66c5ub.jpg

Someone needs to try this and report back :happy:

Where can I buy this? I've never seen it in any grocery store!
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    If you do eat 90% + chocolate, how long did it take for you to acquire the taste? Do you enjoy the flavor now? Also, those that do 85%, what is the chocolate experience for you?

I have 1 square of Lindt 90% every evening--it's my signal to stop eating for the day. So far it's working well.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I love Lindt 90%. I didn't work up to it cause I've always preferred dark chocolate. I find Lindt to be my favourite kind.
  • imwithgizmo
    imwithgizmo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite is Theo 85% Organic Fair Trade dark chocolate. They used to make a 91% that I tried, and it was a bit too bitter for me. Though it was great in my turkey chili! They aren't producing that 91% any longer. The 85% is wonderful, I highly recommend it.
  • karen19711
    karen19711 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Gotta love Dark Choclate, baby.......smile K
  • Topher1978
    Options
    I just finished my 90% bar. I have 2 or 3 85% bars in the freezer. When I am done with them, I will be buying the 90%. After my last serving, I was really taking a liking to it. This thread probably encouraged my palate.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I love 70 - 90 %, it is real food for me...not sugary, sweet...just right, you can only eat two squares and it is loverly!!!
  • Topher1978
    Options
    I love 70 - 90 %, it is real food for me...not sugary, sweet...just right, you can only eat two squares and it is loverly!!!
    That is exactly what I do! I eat 2 squares as a part of my breakfast. It is great too, because I eat it with my B-complex, which is largely fat soluble, so they help each other give me the nutrients!!!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Hey, I also eat dark chocolate for breakfast!!!

Also, have you tried Trader Joe's Truffles? They are so good!!
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    66c5ub.jpg

Someone needs to try this and report back :happy:

I have tried it. It was too much for me. l like my 85-90%. The 99% is grittier and more bitter. I like both the milk chocolate and the really dark kinds. To me, they are like two different foods. It's like comparing caramel to peppermint. Both are good, but if I am in the mood for one, the other one won't do.
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Lindt - a touch of sea salt with caramel bits.

To die for. One square.

I looooooove that stuff. One square is the perfect amount.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Scharffen Berger 99% bar-- yum! I also like Alter Eco's blackout bar. Ghiradelli sea salt soiree & midnight reverie are addicting, too.
  • nearptr
    Options
    Chocolate is a very pleasant mineral supplement. No need for sugar. If you don't like coffee, add sugar and milk. If you don't like tea, add sugar and lemon. If you don't like chocolate........

Learn to like the 100% or don't. It's excellent with a red burgundy. From a nutritional pov, it complements molasses nicely...

If you don't like a thing, maybe you shouldn't eat it...?

All of the products described as 70, 80, 90%, etc., I think are concoctions of CHOCOLATE combined with chocolate components, namely, cocoa and cocoa butter (+sugar etc...). I suppose real chocolate isn't good enough for some folk... folks who don't like chocolate -- if you don't, then don't eat it!

I like it!

(eta: chocolate is BITTER! :) )
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Chocolate is a very pleasant mineral supplement. No need for sugar. If you don't like coffee, add sugar and milk. If you don't like tea, add sugar and lemon. If you don't like chocolate........

Learn to like the 100% or don't. It's excellent with a red burgundy. From a nutritional pov, it complements molasses nicely...

All of the products described as 70, 80, 90%, etc., I think are concoctions of CHOCOLATE combined with chocolate components, namely, cocoa and cocoa butter (+sugar etc...). I suppose real chocolate isn't good enough for some folk... folks who don't like chocolate -- if you don't, then don't eat it!

I like it!

Allow me to introduce you to Crio Bru, my chocolate loving brother! (also nibs are yummy. I like the Occumare ones from Amano)
    www.criobru.com
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options

I like it!

I'll eat whatever chocolate "concoctions" I find pleasing.
  • Topher1978
    Options

I like it!

Where do you get your chocolate, and what brand is it? And the Burgundy idea sounds good!! I love molasses, does it really jive? I am trying to conceptualize the taste in my mind...
  • Topher1978
    Options

I like it!

Allow me to introduce you to Crio Bru, my chocolate loving brother! (also nibs are yummy. I like the Occumare ones from Amano)
    www.criobru.com
    OH!!! I want!! Hmmm…. I need to get this job out here I have been hoping for!! I do not make enough to justify this, but holy moly, that crio bru is awesome!!