Heart Rate Monitor Watches

Options
Hi Guys,

It has been suggested to me a few times that I should look into getting a HRM Watch. I dont really know anything about them (apart from what they are used for), so I was hoping that whoever has purchased one before can suggest any particular brands and tell me what I am looking at for costs for getting one etc.

Cheers! :-)

M

Replies

• perrim
    perrim Posts: 117
    Options
    I am interested to see the responses to this as well. I've used them in the past, it's been many years, but I always used Polar heart rate monitors. I'm sure they've gotten much better since I've had one and there are probably many more brands out there now...
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I bought a Polar brought about 2 months ago from Amazon. A P7 I believe it is and it was $100 with free shipping. I love it. The chest strap takes getting use to but I'm very happy with my purchase!
  • bgriffin73
    Options
    Yep, the Polar is the way to go. It also syncs with the exercise machines at the gym for your heart rate. You'll find the machines are way way off on the calorie burn.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    That is true. I forgot to mention that. The machines are WAY WAY WAY off!!
  • amillward27
    Options
    Has anyone bought a timex? I just bought mine yesterday and I'm excited for it to arrive, but I'm hoping I made the right choice! I personally chose the timex because you can replace the batteries yourself whereas polar watches need to be sent in to have the batteries changed.
  • MrsMarvelous
    MrsMarvelous Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    i use a MIO i bought it from walmart and seems to work pretty well...when im on the machine working out heart rate is pretty close to my watch.. i dont have to use a strap either just on the arm.. i think it was about $35 not real sure but it does what i need it to do ... show heart rate and show calories burned... :drinker:
  • natspoiledbrat
    Options
    I just responded to a post the other day and the guy bought a Timex and said he was having problems with it. I purchased a Polar FT7 about 2 weeks ago and love it. It was on sale for $100 (reg. $110) at Sports Authority and I used a $25 off coupon that I downloaded from mommysavesbig.com. So I ended up spending just over $75 for it. It seems to work pretty good. I agree that the chest strap takes some getting used to, but the calories burned on the machines at the gym and on my wii are way off (in my case by 200 calories in a 30 min period!!!!!!). I feel that much better that I am getting a more accurate reading with this.
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    Has anyone bought a timex? I just bought mine yesterday and I'm excited for it to arrive, but I'm hoping I made the right choice! I personally chose the timex because you can replace the batteries yourself whereas polar watches need to be sent in to have the batteries changed.

My wife and I each have a Timex. I haven't had any problems with either. The watch is fairly intuitive. I like the Timex.
  • greeneyes82
    greeneyes82 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this! I was going to ask this really soon. I bought a Sportline from Walmart & I am not impressed by it. It doesn't do everything I want. I've heard the Polar F7's are great, but I wanted to see everyone's replies. Thanks a bunch!
  • jclguru
    jclguru Posts: 123
    Options
    I use a Mio Motiva. I used a Polar with the chest strap years ago, but I got sick
    and tired of putting that darn thing on. People are always praising how the
    chest version is better...phoeey. Either one will work just great. Plus, when
    somebody keels over and needs their pulse checked, where is it normally
    checked...the wrist or neck. I can't remember the last time I've seen a HRM
    with a neck strap :)

Doug
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I have a Reebok Precision and I love it. I think I got it on sale for like $30, though it was originally like $89. I don't even notice the chest strap when I have it on.
  • mbrody1947
    mbrody1947 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    How do any of you know the machines are way off? how do you know that the watches themselvers are not ay off?
  • brianhin
    brianhin Posts: 28
    Options
    I bought a Mio off Amazon about 9 months ago. About 2 months ago it crapped out on me and stopped working. The Mio I bought was also a one without the chest strap. I just bought a new Polar FT7 ($109 plus tax @ Sports Authority) today with a chest strap and I LOVE IT. Way easier to use in comparison to my Mio and the chest strap isn't a bother at all. Readings are way more accurate with my Polar than with the Mio too. Mio was overestimating my calorie burn by around 200+ calories. So I definitely recommend the FT7 and chest strap over strapless any day. Chest straps do make a difference.