Questions?!?!

Options
I'm new to this, but I really want to make this work. I'm tired of being miserable. Question. My husband does not need to lose any weight, and my kids are very healthy and do not need to count calories. My family does eat healthy, but they also eat meat and potatoes, fried fish, all that stuff! Anyways, do those of you that have had success cook yourself different meals?

Replies

• mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I don't cook different meals for my family. My husband and oldest son is on the thin side. My youngest son is overweight but since I started counting calories has grown three inches and hasn't gain weight. He has actually lost a few pounds. I cook the same meals for everyone but I tend to get smaller portions or just allow the calories to fit within my day.

I do buy some foods less fat and lower in calories but since I can't do that with everything due to two family members being on the slim side. We eat a lot more veggies and fruit than we used to eat.

I just don't think that I could cook two different meals and eat one thing while they eat something else. It helps that we have never been a family that fries food so in the long run my family hasn't had to change things up too much due to me counting calories.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need to make separate meals. The key to success for you is going to be portion control, accurate tracking and logging, and sticking to your calorie limits and macros. You may want to add some vegetables or salad to the meat and potato meals your family eats, but there's nothing wrong with you also having meat and potatoes. I would highly recommend getting a digital food scale ASAP so you can measure, portion, and accurately track your food, though. I think separate meals is overcomplicating what you need to do, and not a great option for long-terms success. The easier you can make this fit naturally in to your life, the better your outcome will be.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this, but I really want to make this work. I'm tired of being miserable. Question. My husband does not need to lose any weight, and my kids are very healthy and do not need to count calories. My family does eat healthy, but they also eat meat and potatoes, fried fish, all that stuff! Anyways, do those of you that have had success cook yourself different meals?

Not so much cook, but I am very aware of the portion size of my food.
  • Stdavis53
    Stdavis53 Posts: 233 Member
    Options

My recommendation... Cook the same meal for everyone. Portion control, only with your meal, have a big green salad. You can easily fill yourself up the rest of the way with hardly any calories. 3 cups of a good romain/spinach mix, fresh veggies, and salad spritzer dressing (1 cal per spray) and you can have a huge salad for less than 60 calories.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    My boyfriend has a lot of trouble keeping weight on so I feed him 4000-6000 calories a day. I eat much, much less. There's no way he could reach his nutritional needs eating the same food that I eat. I always cook separate meals for both of us. I only eat one meal a day so it's not too much trouble for me.
  • SarahAFerguson
    SarahAFerguson Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I do not cook separate meals. There are five people in our household including two adults and three children. Both my husband and six year old daughter have various food sensitivities including gluten intolerance. I don't have the time or energy to cook separate meals. I also don't have the energy to cater to the whims of a picky six year old whose likes and dislikes change on an almost daily basis. We all eat the same meals with different portion sizes and some extra snacks for my husband.
  • JUP1T3R
    Options
    Even though i don't recommend cooking a separate meal and that portion control and moderation are keys to success here, I'd suggest that you cook meals that are tailored more towards your weight loss, but still enjoyed by your family as well. I think that from the little bit you shared about (Meat and potatoes/fried fish) it means you have some good down home cooking and though it is very hearty, there are alternatives to just those three things. for the fish, i recommend skinless and baked, the frying grease or oil plus the skin adds calories and unhealthy fats and cholesterol, make sure your meat is the leanest you can get so that it is packed full of good proteins and not very much fat, and a good alternative for potatoes which are loaded with carbs and calories are mashed up steamed cauliflower which have no carbs and few calories ad some butter and garlic or whatever you desire and you cant even tell the difference. My GF eats everything i do and so to save money and help promote some weigh tlos and healthy habits we adopted an eating plan we both can enjoy and she is very picky. So to sum this up, tailor your ,meals to your liking as well as your families and every now and again throw in a substitute and see if they can even tell the difference.

Good Luck!!!
  • 20shan08
    20shan08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options

I eat bbq'd steaks, shake and bake chicken, hambuger... My boyfriend cooks supper and I eat whatever they're eating, just portion control! I have my snacks throughout the day and usually sandwich for lunch, or bacon and eggs! I eat pretty "normal". Feel free to add me, my diary is open so you can take a peek :)