Losing Weight Too Quickly?

Options
I seem to be dropping weight rather quickly. I've lost 4lbs since last Friday. I'm eating - a lot. I have no problem eating between 1600-1800 if need be. I'm 5'11 so my goal weight of 175 is just a first goal. I'm really hoping to be 160ish when I'm really done, but I didn't want to try that hard yet because my husband and I are hoping to start a family before I hit that goal. I'm exercising 5 times a week - cardio every day and weights every other day. Am I losing weight too quickly? I've lost 14lbs since I started on March 1st - the first 10lbs were weight that I put on since having a miscarriage at the end of January. So, maybe it was a lot of water weight? I just want to make sure that I'm doing this in a healthy way. I feel like I am because I'm eating quite a bit and exercising, but I just want some other opinions. My food diary is public. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• LRogers2
    LRogers2 Posts: 15
    Options
    I am having the same thing happen to me. I started February 2nd and I am down 32 lbs. I have heard the saying, it's better to lose slower that way you keep it off longer. If you get any insight on this, I would also love to hear it. I am doing about 5 days a week carido also, with strength training and weights also. Staying between 1500-1600 calories during the week and 2000 on friday's and Saturday's. So I am confused also, but like you, I just want it to be the right way of losing weight so it will stay off for a long time.
    Thanks, and keep up the great work!
    Lindsay
  • mlv333
    mlv333 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You seem to be doing the right thing. You are a tall woman and have longer muscles then the majority of us, so the standard isn't set for you. I pale in comparison to my 5'10" friend I'm doing my exercises with. We don't even discuss numbers, so that I don't get discouraged. Good work, and keep it up. Just keep the balance of eating enough vs not too much, and you'll keep the weight off.
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the drastic changes we make as part of our new lifestyle can shock our systems into losing weight, and quickly. Be sure that what you are doing is something you can continue for the rest of your life, with minor modifcations. You'll only need to change from losing to maintaining at some point. Good luck and hopefully you'll be able to maintain your pace until you get closer to your goal weight...:)
  • Reecie99
    Reecie99 Posts: 8
    Options
    As a long time yo yo dieter, it's been my observation that I always loose more weight faster in the beginning of any weight loss program. According to my doctor, it's because the heavier a person is, the more inefficient their body is, and therefore even walking or breathing is more of a struggle, thus you loose more weight.

It all evens out eventually.

Also, on a personal note, I'm so jealous of you guys! I'm all of 5 feet tall. The recommended 1200 calories to loose is about all the calories I would need to maintain (if I ever get to that point!) because I'm so short! Enjoy your long legs and muscles and take pity on us short folks jumping to reach the cereal on the highest shelf in the grocery store!!
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Do you have your goal set to lose 1 or 2 pounds per week? I set mine at 1 pound a week and ate my exercise calories and still lost a lot my first month. It did slow down after that though. Then I reset it to lose 1/2 a pound a week and I still lost.
  • kellykat
    kellykat Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm set to lose 2lbs per week and I eat most of my exercise calories. I have been working on decreasing my sodium and I drink tons of water. I'm sure it's going to slow down - I was just surprised and the quick loss of 4lbs since Saturday. However, I was at 200 for 8 days before that so maybe my body adjusted after a small plateau and then dropped. I'm definitely not expecting this kind of weight loss every week. I'm not complaining - I just want to make sure I'm being healthy.

Thank you for all of the comments.
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    Kellykat, I would say that as a sustained weight loss goal, being on track for an 8 lb per week loss isn't healthy. However, that being said I don't think you need to be overly concerned.

We tend to fluctuate by several pounds in a day. Do you weigh at the same time of day? Did you weigh in the morning or evening? If you weighed Friday night, then this morning, that could explain it.

If you find this weight loss (rate) continues for another couple weeks, I would check with your doctor. But until then, celebrate your success!

Keep up the good work!!!
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    14 lbs in a month is fast but not too quick really. It works out to 3lbs per week?
    I wouldn't focus too much on the weekly numbers since our weight can naturally fluctuate by up to 5lbs. So the 4lbs in less than a week may not actually be 4lbs of fat loss in that time period.

If you continue to lose at fast rate you may want to increase your calories or see your doctor, but for now I wouldn't be too concerned. Don't be surprised or disappointed if your weightloss does start to slow down.

Good luck and great job so far!