heavy lifting on a 1,000 calorie diet..

Options
2»

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    And my goal is to lose fat and build muscle...I dont know if i should focus on one before the other?

Generally you cannot do both at the same time (excepting newbie or gains when you are overweight, which you are not). You may still be able to benefit from a small amount of 'newbie' gains at a deficit but these will be negligible. However, lifting on a deficit is still beneficial as you gain strength, increase bone density, maintain LBM etc etc etc. These are all important and will benefit you when and if you decide to bulk.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts... I just started this week because a lot of people recommended it when I asked about building muscle/weightlifting.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Lift HEAVY!!! Girls don't have enough testicles to get bulky. Lift heavy and do cardio and you'll be a sexy beast

Yep but EFA.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I'm really scared to start stronglifts because i feel like i'll be working in reverse as i have been so far.....I would run an hour and then lift for an hour(altough i did'nt really know much of what i was doing) like 5 days a week... then i started NROLFW and the first stage was just a lot less than i was used to....(although i'm glad i did i before going onto the other stages) and now stronglifts is even shorter! Idt i can do it.....it scared me.. exspecially because i want to be in the best shape i can be in by March.

Lift heavier - it will NOT seem easy then. The length of a program, or the simplicity does not equate to its effectiveness.

How much as a % of body weight can you barbell deadlift. back squat or bench?
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    You're are getting into the analysis paralysis disease. Just freaking go lift stuff.

IMO, this is the real deal: do you 5x5 or 5/3/1 or whatever it is you decide, then right after, do 20 minute HIIT (don't ask me what it is, Google it). You get both, muscle building and fat burning all in one. It is the ideal workout for a fat burner.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    You're are getting into the analysis paralysis disease. Just freaking go lift stuff.

IMO, this is the real deal: do you 5x5 or 5/3/1 or whatever it is you decide, then right after, do 20 minute HIIT (don't ask me what it is, Google it). You get both, muscle building and fat burning all in one. It is the ideal workout for a fat burner.

Good thread on that here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/824769-stop-the-neurosis
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    5x5s. Or 6 exercises, 3 sets, 8-10 reps of moderate weight for 12 weeks starting. Then alternate programs. 12 weeks heavy, 12 weeks light with more reps. There are women in my gym that look fabulous and they are on the weights often.

As long as you aren't injecting yourself with male hormones you are not going to bulk out like a monster male weight lifter.

Keep your protein in check. Don't starve yourself.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I just want to add- It's really splitting hairs between SL and SS and 5/3/1 and NROL. You're a beginner, and ANY program is going to be better than messing around in the gym for 5 hrs a week. These programs might SEEM simple, but they are based on a foundation of years and years and years of experience and knowledge, and every single step that they incorporate is there for a reason- including volume, rest, periodization, progression, etc. You really should pick a program and follow it- at this point you don't have the experience to tell what can be added/swapped/neglected/changed to suit your purposes. The last thing you want to do is aimlessly flutter about the gym, spending a ton of time, with minimal results.
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I'm really scared to start stronglifts because i feel like i'll be working in reverse as i have been so far.....I would run an hour and then lift for an hour(altough i did'nt really know much of what i was doing) like 5 days a week... then i started NROLFW and the first stage was just a lot less than i was used to....(although i'm glad i did i before going onto the other stages) and now stronglifts is even shorter! Idt i can do it.....it scared me.. exspecially because i want to be in the best shape i can be in by March.

Lift heavier - it will NOT seem easy then. The length of a program, or the simplicity does not equate to its effectiveness.

I don't really get what oyu mean by % but, the my last bench press i did was 65 pounds with 8 reps, my deadlift...i have no idea ha, and my squat was around 120ish.... and that was a few days ago...and i havent bench pressed, squated, or DL for over i month i think.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I haven't done any of those programs, yet, but I am also disappointed in my lift strength. I've been able to transform my body using other programs, but I have seen very little in the way of strength gains. I will be looking into Stronglifts 5X5, or the 5-3-1 program. I read up on them a little, last night, and I can see the benefits to those programs.

I understand your concern about feeling like you are working backwards, but these programs are designed keeping over training in mind. Sometimes people who are novices will try to design their own programs, and end up with injuries, or poor results, due to trying to do too much without being properly conditioned to that amount of muscular stress. Your muscles grow while at rest. Your first few sets are where you will see the greatest stress on the muscle to start that repair process.

Just like eating less than 1000 calories per day can be counterproductive to fitness, and weightloss goals, Doing too much volume in your workouts can be counterproductive to strength gaining, and muscle building goals.
  • taylorwaylor
    Options
    I just want to add- It's really splitting hairs between SL and SS and 5/3/1 and NROL. You're a beginner, and ANY program is going to be better than messing around in the gym for 5 hrs a week. These programs might SEEM simple, but they are based on a foundation of years and years and years of experience and knowledge, and every single step that they incorporate is there for a reason- including volume, rest, periodization, progression, etc. You really should pick a program and follow it- at this point you don't have the experience to tell what can be added/swapped/neglected/changed to suit your purposes. The last thing you want to do is aimlessly flutter about the gym, spending a ton of time, with minimal results.

Okay.. I get what you'r saying and thank you for this! I quit NROLFW because is was too complicated.. i like the basics so SL seems good, but then someone told me that it's not all that great...
  • taylorwaylor
    Options
    I haven't done any of those programs, yet, but I am also disappointed in my lift strength. I've been able to transform my body using other programs, but I have seen very little in the way of strength gains. I will be looking into Stronglifts 5X5, or the 5-3-1 program. I read up on them a little, last night, and I can see the benefits to those programs.

I understand your concern about feeling like you are working backwards, but these programs are designed keeping over training in mind. Sometimes people who are novices will try to design their own programs, and end up with injuries, or poor results, due to trying to do too much without being properly conditioned to that amount of muscular stress. Your muscles grow while at rest. Your first few sets are where you will see the greatest stress on the muscle to start that repair process.

Just like eating less than 1000 calories per day can be counterproductive to fitness, and weightloss goals, Doing too much volume in your workouts can be counterproductive to strength gaining, and muscle building goals.

Alright... you guys are finally convincing me ha. I will continue to look at the suggested programs.... Are there any good ones on bodybuilding.com?
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I don't really get what oyu mean by % but, the my last bench press i did was 65 pounds with 8 reps, my deadlift...i have no idea ha, and my squat was around 120ish.... and that was a few days ago...and i havent bench pressed, squated, or DL for over i month i think.

Take the number you squatted (120) and divide it by your current weight, to get a percentage. For me, I can squat my own bodyweight (actually about 5lb more), for about 4-5 reps so that's 100% (well 102% but whatevs). Aim to keep increasing until the weight on your shoulders equals your body weight. DL's I'm weaker, but I got up to 140lb (from 115 a couple weeks ago) so only 80% of my body weight. I've had lower back problems in the past, so I'm being cautious.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Look up 5/3/1

5/3/1 is a great intermediate program. There are much better novice options out there.

OP, didn't you make a thread yesterday? The same info still applies. You want to get strong? Do a novice compounding lifting program. Once you're a "kinda strong", move on to an intermediate lifters program. Stop wasting all this time on the forums and go freaking squat something :)

x^2 OP Hire a trainer!!!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Example: I am 152lb and can squat 210lb - which is 1.4 x my body weight. This will be an indication of your progress so far and whether a more advanced program may be beneficial or not.

Bench, squats, DLs and OHPs are the backbone of most lifting programs. If you have not been doing them, you should be. I thought NROL included these. Why have you not done them in over a month?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

Example: I am 152lb and can squat 210lb - which is 1.4 x my body weight. This will be an indication of your progress so far and whether a more advanced program may be beneficial or not.

Bench, squats, DLs and OHPs are the backbone of most lifting programs. If you have not been doing them, you should be. I thought NROL included these. Why have you not done them in over a month?
    NROL4W gets really ridiculously complicated once you hit stage 3 . for instance the deadlifts in stage 3 are a barbell romanian deadlift/bent over row and a single leg deadlift. both perfectly good exercises BUT if you're interested in increasing strength for your deads you're going to be hamstrung either a) by how much you pull in a bent row or b) your ability to balance on 1 leg.
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options

NROL4W gets really ridiculously complicated once you hit stage 3 . for instance the deadlifts in stage 3 are a barbell romanian deadlift/bent over row and a single leg deadlift. both perfectly good exercises BUT if you're interested in increasing strength for your deads you're going to be hamstrung either a) by how much you pull in a bent row or b) your ability to balance on 1 leg.

^^^ That alone was the main reason why I switched from NROLFW to SL 2 weeks ago. I wanted to continue to work on my DL and felt like I was making good progress, when all of a sudden...I had to cut back because I'm only able to row 70-ish lbs.....that is WAY easy for my for a DL.
    OP, I recommend SL....I love it! It seems 'simple', but trust me....it's not. At the end, I add in a few extra things like push ups (on non bench days) and planks and it's got me feeling pretty wiped by the end. Plus...I'm in and out of the gym in a hour with my extras and warm up/cool down/stretching.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Here's a great example of someone having great success with Stronglifts: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/799682-lifting-gaining-weight-losing-curves-getting-bulky
    You'll find even more photos on her blog. I'm hoping Santa brings me a full set of weights for Christmas. And a room to put them in. :tongue: Haha, which is really the only reason I'm NOT following stronglifts myself - lack of funds for the weights (or gym) and no place to put them in my current home anyway.
  • BadAzzBea
    Options
    And my goal is to lose fat and build muscle...I dont know if i should focus on one before the other?

Focus on fat loss and strength gain at the beginning. Meaning, eat at a modest deficit and lift dem weights.

you have great advice..