zumba

Options
anyone into zumba? i took a class yesterday. first time. it was pretty quick paced but i thoroughly enjoyed it.
is it better than treadmills, the elliptical, weights, etc?

and why is it not on the exercise log?

Replies

• Dwamma
    Dwamma Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I LOVE zumba and I do it as often as possible! On the wii, in the gym or anywhere! I went on to "sparkspeople.com" and found out how many calories I would burn for my height and weight and then made my own exercise entry. Keep ti up!
  • plaingirly
    Options
    I LOVE Zumba! I have no coordination at all and am super unfit but I am (very!) slowly improving! Good for fitness and confidence!
  • brendaschmitt1
    Options
    I love zumba! It burns a ton of calories and tones at the same time.
  • krnhll54321
    krnhll54321 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    so it's more cardio/toning? maybe that's a dumb question.... i need to tone and strengthen.
    i'm new to this exercise thing.

hopefully coordination will come the more zumba classes i take. hah!
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba, it's so much fun! :D
  • jazzyali
    jazzyali Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Zumba! Once you learn the moves do them very sharp and with purpose and that will help with toning. My instructor also works in special ab songs or squat songs. I'm down 68 pounds by doing just Zumba and eating healthy :)
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba, its fun and its not boring like on the treadmill. I wouldn't say it tones/strengthen's... you definitely need to lift weights or do some calisthenics if you want to achieve that. Some gyms may have a class called "zumba toning" which is just more simple zumba, with 3lb or less weights. good workout, but i wouldn't count on it to give you "tone" which is really just needing to lose fat to see your muscles.
  • photojunkie28
    Options
    I do zumba a couple times a week and often wear a heart rate monitor to track my calorie burns. It probably isnt in the exercise list because it depends so much on how much you put into it and all classes are different levels. I am 5'5, weigh 166 lbs 28 years old and in an hour zumba i burn between 325-375 average. I can get over that if I really push it, but my body has become accustomed to the routines making it harder to achieve those burns every time.
  • blueroses_78
    Options
    I got my instructor's certification this past October (haven't started teaching yet - can't afford the insurance). I love it.

You can go to zumbacalories.com to get your caloric burn based on your current weight and input it as a custom exercise.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Zumba is cardio. I go twice a week and wear my heart rate monitor so I know how much I've burned. Some classes are more intense than others.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Whatever you enjoy doing is what's best. As long as you are up moving your body, you're getting exercise and calorie burn. How you do it isn't very important if your goal is to burn calories and get in shape. So the most important thing is finding something you enjoy so you'll keep doing it. If you like Zumba, stick with it! Feel free to mix it up and try other classes and such too though :)
  • deeksha_s
    deeksha_s Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have been trying Zumba, if nothing it is definitely fun and I look forward to it!
  • Narla444
    Narla444 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I log it as aerobics and either low or high impact depending on the class. The class I took last winter was really challenging, and this fall was pretty easy. Same instructor and location, but the average age of the class also went up by about 30 years.
  • Chevy024
    Options
    Hello! I'm quite new to the excersize also. I've always tried doing something like crunches, legs excersizes, pushups etc. but after two toddlers and a full time job I've gone down hill quickly and put more weight on than I've ever had. I'm 25, 5'2 and now weigh 184 lbs... I learned about Zumba when a local bartender lost amazing lbs and looks absolutely terrific and it seemed like it happen in.. 2 months. Then recently I seen a Zumba commercial and thought well it does look fun and I can do it in my own living room. So a friend of mine gave me Zumba 2 or wii with the belt and ive been doing the med sessions/med intensity 1x a day since this past wed. I've gained 3 lbs and quite discouraged and Its soo much fun and I feel super awesome after one session I make sure I have time to do it every single day now. I ha originally wanted to do it 3x a day and I think once ye holidays are over I'll be more able to achieve that and not eat the bad yummy foods lol. But I wanted to know if it was normal to gain a few lbs in first week or two? And Zumba is all I do I would have no time for anything else lol.
  • liquidpete24
    Options
    I usually acquire and then hock the Kinect games, next month I'm paying for real classes so I can't do that. I consider myself to be more of a raver/pop locker but it's good fun.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Aqua Zumba is my favorite from the Zumba type of workouts.
  • misskellylynne
    Options
    I like Zumba for a change up when I get bored with running.

Although, I do prefer american pop/hip hop music zumba classes, instead of the traditional.
  • Donica_Marie
    Donica_Marie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Zumba is awesome love that you sweat alot and loose inches and pounds easy , i log my zumba work out under Dancing,aerobic, ballet or modern twist.
  • Heather1899
    Heather1899 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I think whatever exercise you like you will stick to, and Zumba is fun. I would get bored after staying on the treadmill or bike after so long, but with Zumba there is always ways to do something different.
    I don't have any cardio equipment, I just do dvds. I don't have a Zumba dvd but I've done a few Zumba classes. I am not an expert, but I think that the different moves would work more different muscles and therefore burn more calories than just running on a treadmill. Like running on a treadmill is just forward movement, like walking in a park right? But with Zumba they were doing lateral movements, jumping, moving and swinging their arms...all things you wouldn't do on a treadmill or walk in the park.
    And I am very clumsy and not coordinated!! But I think that since doing dvds I am a little better and less clumsy. I have learned to balance on one leg to kick for example.
  • NatashaCeeLow1
    NatashaCeeLow1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. That is a great resource.