Eat Yer Veggies Challenge, Anyone?

Options

Replies

• cass678910
    cass678910 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I love this idea! I am really trying to get back on track, so I think some challenges would be good for me:) I will start with 5 servings..
    none so far lol
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    How do you measure squash with a cup?

Is it dried powdered squash?

One small yellow squash sliced into wedges, heaped in a measuring cup. Could have just said one squash, but they come in very different sizes and it wasn't weighed. Anyway, that was just a sample. I always think in terms of cups.
  • cjsacto
    Options
    Today so far (it's noon):
    1. 7 strawberries.
    2. 1/2 dragon fruit.
    3. 1 orange

This evening I'll add there:
    4. 1/4 cabbage
    5. 1 carrot
    6. 2 black olives
    7. 1/3 avocado
    8. 1/4 beet

How would you know what counts as one serving exactly?

I don't have a perfect answer. Most raw chopped veggies, I have read that 1/2 cup worth is a serving. Leafy veggies (raw spinach and lettuce), one cup is a serving. One small apple, one banana, one orange, one medium size tomato, 1/2 large zucchini, etc. If I get canned or frozen (I buy frozen blueberries) I go by the packaging serving listing. Sometimes I go by the MFP search results, but they were often input by members so you can't always be sure it's an "official" serving. I have searched online for avocado servings, and some say about 1/5 of the avocado, some say 1/4 or 1/2... it's not always consistent.

I sort of think this way: a bite is not a serving, a handful is (except for leafy veggies, then two handfuls), in a completely non-scientific method. One baby carrot - not a serving. About 6-10 baby carrots - serving.

Here's another website with some good serving info (search for a food name in the box near the top on the right): http://nutritiondata.self.com/

Hope that's helpful.
  • cass678910
    Options
    Okay, didn't reach my goal on the first day..bummed. I did have two restaurant meals, though, so tomorrow should be better. I am not sure how many servings exactly these are, can someone help me out?

-1/2 Panera Greek salad-1-1/2?
    -Romaine salad (about 3-4 cups) with tomatoes-2?

So about 3-31/2 servings today? This challenge is making me aware as to how few servings of fruits and vegetables I am getting!
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    3/4 cup acorn squash
    1 large carrot
    1/2 tomato
    1/2 cup salsa verde
    1/2 banana
    1 cup cabbage
  • nearptr
    Options
    For Dec 24th:

banana 1.00 servings
    blackberries 336g 2.36 servings
    broccoli 310g 3.41 servings
    potato 274g 1.79 servings
    carrots 278g 3.26 servings
    cherries [21] 1.00 servings
    cauliflower 332g 5.36 servings
    brussels sprouts 176.9g 2.01 servings
    oranges 162.8g 2.00 servings
    pineapple 130.8g 0.80 servings

total: 22 servings
  • cjsacto
    Options
    I squeaked by today.

12/23:
    3/4 C blueberries
    1 banana
    1 C raw baby spinach
    1/2 large beefsteak tomato
    1/4 avocado
    sliced raw yellow onion (not a whole serving)
    1/2 C Bolthouse Farms Green Goodness (not a whole serving)

Cass: I don't know the size of the Panera salad. Have you looked on their website? They may have serving info. Probably has Romaine, tomatoes, olives? I know, I started the challenge and I barely got my servings in. It really has to become a habit.

Nearptr: My goodness!
  • jaena4
    jaena4 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Yay - great idea! I'm in! Today, I think I had five, but I definitely need to pay attention and do better on this!
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Christmas Day--

Raspberries (5)
    Blueberries (10)
    Spinach (1 Cup)
    Shredded Carrots (1-2 oz)
    Brussel Sprouts (roasted, 10)
    Bell Pepper (2 strips)
    Apple Cider (4 oz.)

Potato (small, baked, I agree it is counted in the carbohydrates part of the food pyramid but it is also a vegetable)

I'm not good at what constitutes a full serving so I just list what I ate.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Some people on here need to get over it. How hard is it to eat some broccoli? I eat 900g of broccoli/cauliflower every single day.

It's pretty easy:
    Cook it
    Put it in your mouth
    Chew it
    Swallow it

If the taste is so bad, get some tomato ketchup or something.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    corn on the cob
    lettuce
    tomato
    onion

Yikes I need to do better! Does anyone know of a low calorie nutrition drink with fruits and veggies' s?
  • ebonyrose316266
    ebonyrose316266 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Cool challenge. I am in too.
    I've only had 1/2 a banana so far.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Does homemade microwave potato chips made from a raw potato count?
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    it would be cheating for me to join this challenge. on a typical day, I eat TONS of fruits and veggies. love them and love what they do for me. i am convinced that i don't look my age partially because I have always loved plants. although today is Christmas, I may not eat my typical foods, here is what I normally have:

Post-workout shake includes
    1/2 to 1 banana
    1 cup frozen berries
    handful of fresh spinach

lunch includes at least 2 of the following greens (i often eat a whole bag of the pre-made salad mix or spinach) and all the other veggies, plus an apple or orange:
    kale
    red leaf or romaine lettuce
    spinach
    fresh mushrooms
    roma or grape tomatoes (1 roma or 4 grape tomatoes)
    baby carrots (4 or so)
    bell pepper slices or mini peppers
    10 sugar snap peas

at dinner I usually have a cup of steamed broccoli or a serving or two of another steamed veggie.

I am glad to help anyone else with ideas/support to up your veggie/fruit intake. I am fortunate I love these foods, they let me continue my love affair with food and keep losing weight!
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    I should eat vegetables i dont LOL is it bad to cook your vegetable i heard it kills the nutrients
  • veggiesaurus15
    veggiesaurus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Eating a low-fat plant-based diet helped me lost almost 90 pounds. I eat upwards of 10 bananas a day plus a giant salad, as well as other fruits and veggies. Green smoothies area great way to add greens to your diet with a fruity twist. Eat as many fruits and veggies as you wish, you can NEVER go wrong!
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Eating a low-fat plant-based diet helped me lost almost 90 pounds. I eat upwards of 10 bananas a day plus a giant salad, as well as other fruits and veggies. Green smoothies area great way to add greens to your diet with a fruity twist. Eat as many fruits and veggies as you wish, you can NEVER go wrong!

Really? You eat 10 bananas a day? For some reason, I try not to eat more than 1 or 2, and I have no idea why, they are so versatile and delicious!
  • veggiesaurus15
    veggiesaurus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Frozen bananas and a little water in a blender make a delicious ice cream substitute. Bananas are high in resistant starch. A great weight loss food and so easy on the go!
  • cass678910
    Options
    Did a little better today..

1) 5 asparagus
    2) 10 baby carrots
    3) 2ish cups lettuce

So..what, 3 servings? At least I diversified a little! I am going to plan out the majority of my meals for tomorrow, tonight, and definitely work some more veggies in, and a little fruit to sweeten it up:)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    great idea! I'll be back