Recovering from an anorexia, focusing on being healthy

Okay, so for the longest time I was actively anorexic. I have since recovered, and want to focus on being healthy. When I recovered I gained a lot back, mostly fat. Now I want to gain muscle while losing fat. I am currently 97 lbs and 5 feet tall (anorexia stunted my growth) and my BMI is 18.94, body fat % 19.4%. I want to gain a minimum of 10 lbs of muscle and lose around 5 lbs of fat. I still struggle with eating enough, so my intake is still really low. The transition of not being monitored has really thrown me, and I'm slowly bringing my intake back up. I really need the support, and would love to have healthy intakes to compare with. Good luck with health!

Replies

• MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    I am working on recovering from Bulimia, but I would be happy to support you if you want to add me. I have some knowledge about what to eat, how much, and all that jazz from years of being obsessed and taking some college courses on Nutrition; but as we both know, logic and EDs don't go well together.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Hi. I sent you a friend request. I'm a recovered anorexic and I eat like a horse. Also, I train a lot ;)

Just a word of caution... If your BMI is still that low, I'm a little worried that you aren't fully recovered, and just being on MFP and focusing on body composition could feed into eating disorder behavior, but you're a grown woman, so I'm not going to lecture you like a little kid (beyond what I just did).
  • I know, it is still really low. My doctor would like to see me above 100 lbs, so I want to gain that in muscle. I have already gained some weight, and all my tests are normal. Thanks for the concern.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Hi. I sent you a friend request. I'm a recovered anorexic and I eat like a horse. Also, I train a lot ;)

Just a word of caution... If your BMI is still that low, I'm a little worried that you aren't fully recovered, and just being on MFP and focusing on body composition could feed into eating disorder behavior, but you're a grown woman, so I'm not going to lecture you like a little kid (beyond what I just did).

I usually don't jump in and correct people, but 1) What a person weighs does not gauge whether or not he/she is in recovery and 2) Being "recovered" is not possible; a person is either in recovery or not in recovery. One does not become completely recovered from these illnesses.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Wow, that is so good!

Congratulations on your recovery x

I really hope you don`t mind but I took a little look at your friends and a lot of them are anorexic/bulimic....I am sure they are super good friends and maybe it would be good to add some people to your friend list that don`t have ed`s

That way you can get some different types of support and advice and you can maybe help some other people?

It can sometimes help to friend people in a completely different situation to yourself.

But either way great job and keep up the great work x
  • First of all, congrats on recovery, it's a long hard road but very worth it :flowerforyou:

Have you spoken to a professional about counting calories? It can be obsessive and you might want to consider not counting on some days. This is if you are new to recovery or feel unstable. Since you are not in treatment any more, make sure to keep supportive people around you (such as friends, family, neighbours, teachers, etc), anyone you can trust, so that you don't feel alone.

Also, note that there may be some people on here that could trigger you (who have EDs, are new to recovery or not recovering), be cautious of them. Being recovering myself, I try to keep positive influences.

If you are already seeing gains then you are probably doing things right, keep it up! And it's great you are checking up with your doctor. Eat and lift. Good luck!

Edited after seeing your latest post.
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Recovered ana here..please feel free to add me..
    hugs to all of u :)
  • musclesglasses5
    musclesglasses5 Posts: 16 Member
    Check out www.marksdailyapple.com.
  • ChocoMello
    ChocoMello Posts: 74 Member
    Your bodyfat is completly normal. If you see yourself as too much with this and that bmi then you are still disordered and sould not loose any weight!
    Eating healthy is good but you will slip again...so please try not to loose any weight or mass and just try to eat right.

5lbs of fat diwn woukd make your bodyfat too low. You wont have petiods with it and your body will be in danger.
  • RobynLB
    I know, it is still really low. My doctor would like to see me above 100 lbs, so I want to gain that in muscle. I have already gained some weight, and all my tests are normal. Thanks for the concern.

Happy to hear that you're healthy. People on MFP will have great lifting advice for you. Add some buff lifting chicks.
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 441 Member

I usually don't jump in and correct people, but 1) What a person weighs does not gauge whether or not he/she is in recovery and 2) Being "recovered" is not possible; a person is either in recovery or not in recovery. One does not become completely recovered from these illnesses.

Absolutely wrong and a potentially dangerous thing to say. Full recovery is completely possibly, you obviously just haven't been in a recovery programme that believes in full recovery and/or has the expertise to bring you there.
  • First of all, congrats on recovery, it's a long hard road but very worth it :flowerforyou:

Have you spoken to a professional about counting calories? It can be obsessive and you might want to consider not counting on some days. This is if you are new to recovery or feel unstable. Since you are not in treatment any more, make sure to keep supportive people around you (such as friends, family, neighbours, teachers, etc), anyone you can trust, so that you don't feel alone.

Also, note that there may be some people on here that could trigger you (who have EDs, are new to recovery or not recovering), be cautious of them. Being recovering myself, I try to keep positive influences.

If you are already seeing gains then you are probably doing things right, keep it up! And it's great you are checking up with your doctor. Eat and lift. Good luck!

Edited after seeing your latest post.
    I need to count calories because I always undereat when I don't (think under 600 calories). I'll think that I'm eating enough but I'm not. It is obsessive, but I really cannot afford to eat as little as I eat if I don't count calories. Like today, I thought that I had overeaten but in reality I'm still under 500 calories. I'm hoping to correct that and still reach my goal, but that's going to be difficult.
  • Hi. I sent you a friend request. I'm a recovered anorexic and I eat like a horse. Also, I train a lot ;)

I know people who are completely recovered. It is true, many people become stuck in the recovery/relapse cycle, but knowing that someday I'll be free of this is what keeps me going. Have you talked to every single person who has had an eating disorder? If not how do you know that recovery is impossible? I don't know if you suffer from an ED, and if you do I'm sorry that you are not well yet, but your experience is not true for everyone. It may take me years, I may relapse many times, but I believe that every day the space in my head that is not disordered grows larger and stronger, and my ED grows weaker. So please don't try to discourage me or anyone else.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    If your pics are recent, you have done really well. If you want to build a bit of muscle, find a form of resistance training you enjoy and can stick to and work on adding more food as you go; resistance training can help improve your appetite anyway.

I won't send a request as my knowledge of EDs is very limited, but wish you all the best and can always help you out with exercise, macronutrient balance etc if you like :)
  • If your pics are recent, you have done really well. If you want to build a bit of muscle, find a form of resistance training you enjoy and can stick to and work on adding more food as you go; resistance training can help improve your appetite anyway.

I won't send a request as my knowledge of EDs is very limited, but wish you all the best and can always help you out with exercise, macronutrient balance etc if you like :)
    Thank you, I just uploaded them today. I'm not really happy with how I look in them, but what else is new?
  • NaeBartolomeo
    NaeBartolomeo Posts: 4 Member
    Hi, I'm reading a book & highly recommend it: "Life Without Ed" by Jenni Schaefer. "Ed" stands for eating disorder. It is very good !!
    I hope it helps you.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member

I know people who are completely recovered. It is true, many people become stuck in the recovery/relapse cycle, but knowing that someday I'll be free of this is what keeps me going. Have you talked to every single person who has had an eating disorder? If not how do you know that recovery is impossible? I don't know if you suffer from an ED, and if you do I'm sorry that you are not well yet, but your experience is not true for everyone. It may take me years, I may relapse many times, but I believe that every day the space in my head that is not disordered grows larger and stronger, and my ED grows weaker. So please don't try to discourage me or anyone else.

I want to hop in here and give a little defense for the poster who said people cannot recover. There are two schools to treating addiction: Those who believe recovery is possible in full, and those who don't.

Many of us who don't believe full recovery is possible do so because many addictions do not have a "normal" phase that "recovered" implies. An alcoholic cannot have a beer like a normal person, no matter how "recovered" he is. A herion addict cannot do a line like a weekend warrior might smoke a bowl, no matter how "recovered" in sobriety they might.

Time clean, behaviors corrected, lives rebuilt - that does not change that we are addicts and can destroy ourselves again through the same patterns. This is what we mean when we say "not recovered" - NOT that the behaviors cannot ever be helped.

Many of us look at cessation of symptoms as merely that and NOT as a full ride off and forever free of the original addiction itself.

This is not meant to demean any of you or say that you cannot get better.
  • RobynLB
    If your pics are recent, you have done really well. If you want to build a bit of muscle, find a form of resistance training you enjoy and can stick to and work on adding more food as you go; resistance training can help improve your appetite anyway.

Thank you, I just uploaded them today. I'm not really happy with how I look in them, but what else is new?

You DO look really great! Remember, you can't really see what you look like, so we can call tell you... you look great.
  • RobynLB

I want to hop in here and give a little defense for the poster who said people cannot recover. There are two schools to treating addiction: Those who believe recovery is possible in full, and those who don't.

Many of us who don't believe full recovery is possible do so because many addictions do not have a "normal" phase that "recovered" implies. An alcoholic cannot have a beer like a normal person, no matter how "recovered" he is. A herion addict cannot do a line like a weekend warrior might smoke a bowl, no matter how "recovered" in sobriety they might.

Time clean, behaviors corrected, lives rebuilt - that does not change that we are addicts and can destroy ourselves again through the same patterns. This is what we mean when we say "not recovered" - NOT that the behaviors cannot ever be helped.

Many of us look at cessation of symptoms as merely that and NOT as a full ride off and forever free of the original addiction itself.

This is not meant to demean any of you or say that you cannot get better.

It's sort of a catch 22. It's stupid to tell someone who thinks she is recovered that she's not, yet it's cruel to tell someone who is not and might never recover that she can and should. I was diagnosed at 12, and had intensive in patient treatment about 6 months in. After that I dealt with it on my own for another decade or so before I hit a point where I started thinking of myself as recovered. I think the early aggressive treatment was probably the key to my eventual recovery, and maybe my experience isn't typical, but I don't think anyone should be told that she is going to have to live with an ED forever. Lots of psychiatric conditions used to be thought of as lifelong and incurable, but I think that's outdated thinking and there was never really anything behind it to begin with.

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to let myself be defined as an anorexic or an addict or mentally ill, or anything like that. I think that sort of thinking and defining is helpful to a point, but at some point it boxes one into becoming something they don't have to be...
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    It really makes me happy to hear all these people agreeing that full recovery is possible. It is. A lot of people don't even want to admit that there was ever a time they struggled with this because they don't want to be defined forever as having a mental illness that never goes away and never allows them to eat and live like a normal person just because of something they went through as a child or teenager when they were not even fully grown yet in body or mind. And it does demean the work they have done to live a full, healthy and happy life.

I understand that some people can struggle with it for life and that is very difficult.

But, there is a spectrum with this, a range of possibilities. Just because a teenager has struggled with this she should not feel that she can never live and eat fully normally and healthily with all of the flexibility of normal eating. I usually don't say anything because the concept of never being recovered is so prevalent and I did not want to butt into other people's experiences. So, instead I came to the conclusion that I struggled with this when I was younger, but it never became a disorder for me. Which is true for me because I experienced the health consequences and I made the choice to fully recover and realized it was just a mistake and then I became committed to health and nourishment (along with flexibility and enjoyment). So, I can't speak for people that have struggled with this as a long term disorder. But, I do understand the underlying reasons that can lead someone to this (at least from my own perspective), and when I hear recovered people describing those feelings I understand what they are describing because I had those feelings as well (they are very deep issues and not about wanting to be thin like a model). And I was fully recovered before adulthood. Other teens can recover as well. Teens are resilient and still growing, there is so much room to learn and heal, to recover, and to not be defined forever by something that happened in the childhood/teen years. I have had a completely full, healthy and happy adulthood.

Edit: I agree with the person below that this is not quite the same as drug and alcohol addiction because it is about food, eating, being healthy, fit, and progressing as a dancer or athlete. That is not the same as substance abuse. Maybe it is for some people, but not for everyone. I have personally never struggled with addiction (but many family members have).