Eating when not hungry....

Options
So I know how important it is to eat breakfast, but I don't get hungry till a few hours after I wake up. So do I wait till I'm hungry to eat breakfast or eat at home anyway and then head to work so my body has those calories for energy?

Replies

• heatherfeather18
    Options
    I would at least eat a small breakfast, to get your metabolism going for the day and to give you energy. I usually just have a few slices of toast with peanut butter or some fruit.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I can't eat anything first thing in the morning because I feel like I will throw up. SO I just make sure that my coffee has lots of milk in it. I figure that since its got protein, fat, etc. and has cals it is better than nothing. I usually eat my breakfast when I get to work between 1.5-2 hours later.
  • brianhin
    brianhin Posts: 28
    Options
    Eating breakfast is VERY important. I use to skip breakfast altogether in the past, but found that I was consistently tired and underperforming throughout the day. When I changed that and began eating breakfast again, I've noticed a dramatic improvement over time in my energy levels, fitness performance, etc. Even if you're not hungry, I believe it helps to even have a small light breakfast. Maybe some fruit, granola, yogurt. Or high fiber cereal and/or oatmeal. Find something that works for you and that can be quick. If you're running late for work just pack some healthy snacks and snack on them along the way. You don't have to eat everything all at once :)

Hope this helps!
  • kingnatalie
    kingnatalie Posts: 163
    Options
    I'm not hungry right away in the morning either, I just wait until I am, usually 2 hours after I get up.
  • weidner
    weidner Posts: 127
    Options
    I'm just like laceylala - I get up and if I were to eat breakfast too early - I would probably get sick as well!!!!

You have to do what is best for you!
  • verbifyvenus
    verbifyvenus Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm not hungry right away in the morning either, I just wait until I am, usually 2 hours after I get up.

See that's what I'm wondering, if thats ok. It's only 1-2 hours after waking up and it;s usually pretty healthy: oatmeal, bagel with peanut butter and such.
  • jewelinvic
    jewelinvic Posts: 332
    Options
    I usually have my breakfast about 1.5 - 2 hours after I get up, usually once I am in my office. I have my coffee with cream on the way to work.
  • jenners22
    jenners22 Posts: 91
    Options
    wow...i wake up ravenous! I mean, I crawl outta bed and turn on the morning news as I pass through the living room to the kitchen for my breakfast. I don't even think a whole 30 seconds pass from the time I wake up until the time my stomach starts hurting cuz I'm sooo hungry.
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    The trainer at my gym stressed how important it is to eat within an hour of waking up. So I've been eating a low sodium cheese stick for about the past week within an hour of waking. Just to rev up my engine so to speak. Then I eat my normal breakfast about 2.5 hours after waking. I've lost several pounds this past week since starting that and I can't help but think that has a little bit to do with it.
  • verbifyvenus
    Options
    wow...i wake up ravenous! I mean, I crawl outta bed and turn on the morning news as I pass through the living room to the kitchen for my breakfast. I don't even think a whole 30 seconds pass from the time I wake up until the time my stomach starts hurting cuz I'm sooo hungry.

You should probably try to eat a high protein snack before going to bed. I like to snack on a small serving of cottage cheese and pineapple.
  • verbifyvenus
    Options
    Thanx bratgrr1 that helps!
  • salyha01
    salyha01 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with the same problem for as long as I can remember. The only difference is that I think the guilt was what made me feel nauseous. No matter what I never felt 'good' after eating breakfast. Every so often I would listen to the advice of "breakfast is the most important meal of the day", and all the others that you've heard before. As a habitual weigh-er I would notice even a slight increase and away breakfast would go. I would go straight back to my bad habit of making myself wait until between 1pm-3pm before I would eat, many times a bowl of soup or salad. I joined MFP almost 2 weeks ago now in an attempt not only to lose the 30lbs I've put on in the last 4-5 months of unemployment (yikes!!) and non-smoking, but to also change my eating habits. The faster I saw the weight pile on the more I realized that I need to seriously change my eating habits (I already eat fairly clean and get regular exercise, but I frequently extremely restrict calories, meals and then over do it a couple times a week with carb-heavier foods). SO, all that said 2 weeks down and I feel like I am eating more than ever- including breakfast. I've actually found that (gasp) knowing that I have breakfast to look forward to in the morning my urge to snack at night watching tv etc. is nearly gone and completely controllable. The guilt I used to feel for eating (primarily breakfast) is melting away and breakfast really is becoming my favorite and most comforting meal of the day. Hows that for some granola and soy milk!!

On an additional note, I've always been fairly good at taking the weight I gain off. This is just the first time I've seen it come off so quickly while eating what seems like so much! I'm on day 12 and I've already lost nearly 7lbs!! I still feel totally skeptical, just waiting for my body to start rejecting all the food I'm giving it- but until it does, I'm sticking with breakfast... and all those other ones as well!
  • jenners22
    jenners22 Posts: 91
    Options

You should probably try to eat a high protein snack before going to bed. I like to snack on a small serving of cottage cheese and pineapple.

I will try that, thanks for the tip.
  • gabyp0716
    gabyp0716 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    My typical plan is to have either an apple or a banana with a cup of coffee with non-fat milk and flavor stevia usually with on hour or waking up. I usually have a mid afternoon snack (cont of breakfast) a couple hours after that which is usually non-fat greek yougurt and berries. It seems to work with me and keeps me having small meals thru out the day and never super hungry so I can plan my meals and not have to eat cause I'm starving and give in to fast food.
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    i eat 1 to 1 1/2 hour after waking, and my fav things are grab n go. no time. i either eat on my way to work or at my desk. here are some things that keep me full until my mid morning snack.

protein shakes made with skim milk
    banana
    vita tops
    oatmeal bars
    oatmeal
    fresh fruit already cut up.

mid-morning snack
    trail mix
    fiber one bar
    fruit of any kind
    hard boiled egg
    vita top

**keep in mind i lost 50lbs in early 2008, even though my ticker says 0. i have started over for a new goal "bikini"
  • nikhil_c8
    nikhil_c8 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I also have the same problem and was wondering about the same. I usualyy Have a cup of Tea and Some cookies.Nowa days I have also eating a few almonds Soaked overnight in water.