Japanese Magazines...

Options

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Looking like you are from a concentration camp can never be sexy and if it's sexy to anyone then they need to see a head doctor.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Can I add a little context?

Firstly, this is an advert, not advice given by a magazine. I bought a diet magazine in Japan 10+ years ago, and it was similar then: the magazine promoted a healthy lifestyle while the adverts were all girls at my goal weight trying to get thinner. Back then, though, the goal weights were around 45-49kg, not in the 30kg range., so this illustrates a change for the worse within that time scale.

Secondly, statistically, this is a young people's problem, in the main. Google it, and you will find statistics on how the number of underweight girls has increased.

Finally, while I feel like a mammoth in Japan, statistically, for my age, I'm not:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18770328

My BMI is quite a bit lower than the average Japanese woman my age.
  • Moosycakes
    Moosycakes Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Not all of those girls look too slim! Some do look a bit skinny around the thigh area though.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I currently live in Japan and I don't feel out of place at 126lbs. What I notice though is that generally speaking you won't see the same level of obesity as you see in the states.

Statistically, according to that website, I actually weigh less than 50% of the women here. Go figure.
  • mockchoc
    Options
    Not all of those girls look too slim! Some do look a bit skinny around the thigh area though.

They look like they are close to death.
  • SoopraBint
    Options
    sheesh..way to promote such an unhealthy lifestyle and a long line of Eating disorders.i wonder if the Japanese men really find these models attractive

my husband does. his computer is filled with images of girls like this
  • mockchoc
    Options
    sheesh..way to promote such an unhealthy lifestyle and a long line of Eating disorders.i wonder if the Japanese men really find these models attractive

Wow.
  • Yunnieh
    Yunnieh Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You are trying to avoid Japanese Magazines because you don't want to look at anorexic girls yet you want to be 72lbs and you are eating 500cals a day.

Judgement.. judgement everywhere. I just came back from ED Recovery centre and I didn't touch MFP. The goals and everything is set pre-recovery. Focus on the ttopic and not me.
  • JaninaRello
    JaninaRello Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    What I'm curious about... is that Japanese have the highest life expectancy on the earth but show average weights for women this low...

Just something to think about.

(Just want to say that I am in the boat of *agreeing* with the fact that being rail-thin is unhealthy but curious if I'm wrong to think that...)
  • buudharich
    Options
    My girlfriend is a US Size 3 and she thinks she is "big". She stands next to me, a men's 36, and she just disappears. She is considering losing more weight and her doctor thinks it's a good idea even though her weight is average.

She suffers from anemia and hypertension and her diet is lacking from quite a few different things. I'm not a doctor but I suggested vitamin-rich green veggies and she won't eat them. I have to figure something out.
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    You are trying to avoid Japanese Magazines because you don't want to look at anorexic girls yet you want to be 72lbs and you are eating 500cals a day.

Yeahhhhh....hmmmm....something doesn't add up here.

And I'm part Japanese and also lived in Japan and it's not as bad as you are airing it out to be. Yeah, they have some issues...but so does everyone in every part of the world when it comes to image and eating disorders. I knew a lot of Japanese girls who were skinny and curvier and a lot of them were actually okay with themselves.

I guess it boils down to them just being "People"....who knew....

I haven't livedin Japan (boo), but from the little I've around the Japanese and seen of them, this is what I've noticed too.
  • buudharich
    Options
    Weight loss is just the start. You have body modification that goes back to foot binding. That's more than a millennia old. Then there's skin bleaching, hair straightening, muscle stretching so eyes look forward rather than slightly-crossed.

I recently visited in the earthquake-tsunami-powerplant area in the north. Japan isn't all that it's cracked up to be but that's the same anywhere, I suppose.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Holy Photoshop! :noway: The "afters" are as distorted as funhouse mirrors.

That's what I thought, too. Their faces look wonky, when they looked normal in the before photos.
  • _Peacebone_
    _Peacebone_ Posts: 229 Member
    Options

I hope that you are trolling.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    they look photoshopped
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    What I'm curious about... is that Japanese have the highest life expectancy on the earth but show average weights for women this low...

Just something to think about.

(Just want to say that I am in the boat of *agreeing* with the fact that being rail-thin is unhealthy but curious if I'm wrong to think that...)

I wonder if this will continue to be the case. Also, the majority are not unhealthily skinny, so it is unlikely there is a connection between being super skinny and living longer.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Holy Photoshop! :noway: The "afters" are as distorted as funhouse mirrors.

That's what I thought, too. Their faces look wonky, when they looked normal in the before photos.

Jaw reduction surgery is a fairly popular procedure throughout Asia, so that is also something to consider when viewing the wonky faces. Apparently, as much as 2" -3" is sawed on both sides, which is then glued back together to create a smaller face. Similar procedures are done for the cheeks and chin too.
  • 777Gemma888
    Options
    Weight loss is just the start. You have body modification that goes back to foot binding. That's more than a millennia old. Then there's skin bleaching, hair straightening, muscle stretching so eyes look forward rather than slightly-crossed.

Calf and thigh muscles reduction surgeries have also started trending there too.

EDIT: Adjust quote.
  • cosoules
    Options
    Oh my gosh... one of my best friends is Asian and recently visited Japan for a study abroad and before she left she was really worried about her weight. I didn't really understand why until seeing this :(
  • 777Gemma888
    Options

I'm half-Japanese, half-Korean and I usually avoid gyaru (japanese over-accessorized girls style) magazines, since they include this..

Your thoughts?

I am the least bit surprised given that the the popolarised notion of beauty in Japan and Korea are girlcentric that gyaru has a home. If the declared 'sweet spot' for females in that region are the ages of 7-9, it is no wonder that grown women are going through body altering procedures to defy it. The desire to emulate a doll isn't solely a Japanese/Korean concept - the Barbie-ites exist too.

With reference to gyaru fashion, i am always more concerned with the dangers associated with using non-prescriptive doll eye contact lenses.