Yaktrax?

anyone use yaktrax? Do you like them? Do you like something else better?
I have hit black ice while out running and am concerned I am gonna really get hurt if i don't do something soon.
Thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

Replies

• mom2nate08
    mom2nate08 Posts: 287 Member
    I have never used Yaktrax before, but a lot of people in the training group that I run with in the winter love them. They say that they really make a difference. I did buy some for this winter though.
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Never used them for running but use them hiking and I really like them. I have the Yaktrax Pro and I highly recommend them, they have a strap that attached over the top of your boot/shoe.
  • meghannrenee
    meghannrenee Posts: 202 Member
    I used them a few years ago for running (we didn't have enough snow last year to warrant anything like that). They make a big difference, but I ended up going through 2 pairs in a very short period of time. Both ended up breaking, and at $60+ bucks a pair I didn't feel I was getting my money's worth if they only lasted me 4-6 weeks. For reference, I was running 6 days a week, 25-36 miles or so over the course of those 6 days. So I was getting well over 100 miles a pair.

At the end of that season I ended up putting some 1/8" screws into the bottom of an old pair of running shoes. It worked incredibly well. However, that was when I ran in traditional (ie - thick soled padded, etc) running shoes. I've since switched to minimalist and am not sure what I'm going to do this year. Neither option will really work if you don't have 1/2-1" of sole between your foot and the ground.
  • A_Valerie
    A_Valerie Posts: 129 Member
    Thanks everyone, I had someone mention that Costco carries a comparable version so i may check those out if they aren't sold out. A lot of places seem to be sold out of the yaktrax brand. :sad:

Meghan, a friend I run with at work does the same thing with the screws and he swears by it. He offered to do mine but I just couldn't bring myself to put screws into a pair of shoes that I paid $120 for. Worse case scenario i will have him do it for one of my older pairs of shoes.
    I used them a few years ago for running (we didn't have enough snow last year to warrant anything like that). They make a big difference, but I ended up going through 2 pairs in a very short period of time. Both ended up breaking, and at $60+ bucks a pair I didn't feel I was getting my money's worth if they only lasted me 4-6 weeks. For reference, I was running 6 days a week, 25-36 miles or so over the course of those 6 days. So I was getting well over 100 miles a pair.

At the end of that season I ended up putting some 1/8" screws into the bottom of an old pair of running shoes. It worked incredibly well. However, that was when I ran in traditional (ie - thick soled padded, etc) running shoes. I've since switched to minimalist and am not sure what I'm going to do this year. Neither option will really work if you don't have 1/2-1" of sole between your foot and the ground.
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    If you go with the Yaktrax, go with the Pro or Run models. The cheaper model is fine for walking but they are clearly not made for running. There are other options that, IMO, are better for running. My experience with Yaktrax (Pro model) wasn't great: didn't bite well on changeable surfaces, coils disintegrated, hard to put on and take off. If you don't want to make a pair of screw shoes (which are really awesome!), then also look at the Kako Ice Trekkers diamond grip. If you are running on packed snow, the Kahtoola Microspikes are amazing. Yes, I own all of them (and have screw shoes and have shoes with carbide spikes--but most of the time run without traction). The Ice Trekkers and microspikes are really, really easy to put on and take off. I carry the microspikes with me in the summer when I am backpacking for traversing across snowfields; I can put them on without taking my heavy pack off. And they stay put.

Pay the extra $$ and get a good pair.

P.S. If you make screw shoes you can take the screws out at the end of winter, especially if you use the 1/4" screws.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member

Wow where in the world did you buy yours? I was just at a national sporting goods store and the Pros were only $30 regular price.
  • A_Valerie
    A_Valerie Posts: 129 Member

Wow where in the world did you buy yours? I was just at a national sporting goods store and the Pros were only $30 regular price.

good catch. I'm in Chicago and the Pros are $30 and the Runners are $40. was thinking about going with the runners thinking they may hold up better. But doesn't seem to matter they are sold out everywhere. Will have to wait until they are available again. Shoulda thought of this before the Christmas rush :tongue:
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    I couldnt survive a winter in upstate NY without them!! Used them everyday to run. But I agree-- $60 is way too expensive, I got them for $20 at ****'s. Also got a 2 pack at Costco (not the name brand).
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    I'm going to be putting screws in my old shoes for ice, and wearing trail shoes for snow.

I took my new Brooks GTX trail shoes out today and they were fecking awesome in the snow, and my feet didn't get wet at all. Bomb diggity.