Paleo

Options
I want to start doing Paleo but am at a bit loss as to how to proceed. Anyone have any suggestions on how/where to start or sites I can reference? I know this is vague but that is why I am asking because I don' t know.

Replies

• Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    There are groups on here that are for Paleo people... also Marks Daily Apple and Robb Wolf's book are good place to start.

We're going to try to get back into the Paleo swing of things after our next "Christmas" gathering. ... Wanting to start a Whole30 on Jan 1.
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Dr Loren Cordain ( you can Google him) is the Paleo Godfather so to speak, lol. I've read a lot of Paleo cookbooks and some allow you to cheat quite a bit. His really does'nt. It's not a easy go, and some ppl experience dizziness and a few other side affects. But on the flipside i know a guy doing it now and just lost 44 lbs and he is not a wokout kinda guy at all. So it can work if you stick with it. Good luck!!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, if you don't know anything about it, why do you want to start it? If you're looking for a magical weight loss diet, you'll be disappointed. Paleo is a long term lifestyle, not a quick fix.
  • UticaBoy51
    UticaBoy51 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, if you don't know anything about it, why do you want to start it? If you're looking for a magical weight loss diet, you'll be disappointed. Paleo is a long term lifestyle, not a quick fix.
    I am not looking for any magic, I get all of that. Just trying to change the lifestyle. Everything that I read tells me how bad this and that is so I thought this Paleo thing would be good because it seems to be the healthy basics. I just want to be able to do it right.

I should have said, I don't know ENOUGH about it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I am not looking for any magic, I get all of that. Just trying to change the lifestyle. Everything that I read tells me how bad this and that is so I thought this Paleo thing would be good because it seems to be the healthy basics. I just want to be able to do it right.

I should have said, I don't know ENOUGH about it.

It also restricts a lot of otherwise healthy foods. :ohwell:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Paleo is a long term lifestyle,

why do people keep saying this?

if you do "paleo" for six months and them switch to something else, you will not get cancer and die. You will not regain any weight loss unless you eat a surplus.

you can clean up your food choices, (which is all paleo really does) for a week or a month or the rest of your life.

there is no need to make a life time commitment or do not do it.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I recommend trying the Plio diet, because it's much closer to what we ate before we were in our closest homo sapien form, so it's a bit more "organic," you know? It's also essentially a global-warming diet, as the world was undergoing major climate change back then, too.

I follow this diet closely with great success, and it essentially is a diet based on insects and flowering plants, so I tend to eat only crab, lobster, and small, non-poisonous insects I find around the house. Most of my vegs. are dandelions and berries.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

if you do "paleo" for six months and them switch to something else, you will not get cancer and die. You will not regain any weight loss unless you eat a surplus.

you can clean up your food choices, (which is all paleo really does) for a week or a month or the rest of your life.

Paleo restricts a lot of staple foods that humans have subsisted on for the last 10,000 years since discovering agriculture. Things like dairy, grains, and legumes. Personally I see no reason to restrict those, barring a medical condition, and it's very easy to clean up a diet without switching to a paleo diet. Hence, paleo being more of a lifestyle than a diet, similar to vegetarian and veganism being more lifestyle rather than just diet.
  • Momwasix
    Momwasix Posts: 664 Member
    Options

Paleo restricts a lot of staple foods that humans have subsisted on for the last 10,000 years since discovering agriculture. Things like dairy, grains, and legumes. Personally I see no reason to restrict those, barring a medical condition, and it's very easy to clean up a diet without switching to a paleo diet. Hence, paleo being more of a lifestyle than a diet, similar to vegetarian and veganism being more lifestyle rather than just diet.

Does that go for whey protein shakes as well?
  • RiverDancer68
    RiverDancer68 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I recommend trying the Plio diet, because it's much closer to what we ate before we were in our closest homo sapien form, so it's a bit more "organic," you know? It's also essentially a global-warming diet, as the world was undergoing major climate change back then, too.

I follow this diet closely with great success, and it essentially is a diet based on insects and flowering plants, so I tend to eat only crab, lobster, and small, non-poisonous insects I find around the house. Most of my vegs. are dandelions and berries.

This made my day :drinker:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Wow! You are so committed to your health! :flowerforyou:
  • foodie99
    Options

Plus, if someone follows Paleo for a week, month, 6 months, etc, then stops, what have they learned? Chances are they will go back to making choices that lead to feel overweight or unhealthy. Certainly, you don't have to live on Paleo from now until eternity, but to be most effective you change your lifestyle to follow it or you pick something else.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    http://robbwolf.com/what-is-the-paleo-diet/
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/10/04/the-beginners-guide-to-the-paleo-diet/
    http://everydaypaleo.com

Any book or site you visit is going to try to convince you that paleo is THE one and only way to be your healthiest. I think its great to focus on eating real, whole foods as much as possible, but I don't think paleo is the one and only way.

I have first hand experience with this. I was 100% paleo for almost a year, without counting calories because supposedly if your paleo, you don't have to. And I actually PUT ON FAT in that year.

Paleo/Primal diets often emphasizes higher fat, lower carbs. This was not a good fit for me. I do much better with balanced macros 40/30/30.

I am not saying that paleo isn't a good option for some, doing paleo for a year actually helped heal the symptoms in my sons autoimmune disease. But from a FAT LOSS perspective. Calories in vs out is the answer in my book.
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options

Don't forget the grubs! Those high protein squirmy things under the logs....
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options

what species of human ate only flowering plants and insects?

the closest ancestors to homo sapiens sapiens would be either homo sapiens idaltu or homo heidelbergensis, and they both ate very large mammals in addition to insects and whatever edible plant foods they could find
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options

I don't like altering my entire diet. If I ever need a cure, I use urine therapy: http://www.lifepositive.com/body/traditional-therapies/urine-therapy.asp
    It's even been proven to cure bleeding nipples. See the site for details.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

the closest ancestors to homo sapiens sapiens would be either homo sapiens idaltu or homo heidelbergensis, and they both ate very large mammals in addition to insects and whatever edible plant foods they could find

Sorry, that doesn't apply to me; my closest ancestors were actually aardvarks.
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options

Sorry, that doesn't apply to me; my closest ancestors were actually aardvarks.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: