Opinions on this HRM, please.

Options
I know the Polar and Garmin are very popular, but finances are an issue for me right now, and I have found one in my price range (link below). Please let me know what you think-should I spend the money now, or keep checking to see if I can get a good deal on a Polar or Garmin?

http://www.amazon.com/HealthSmart-Heart-Rate-Monitors-Healthsmart/dp/B007VJ6EZS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=MIIXGXREWG6A&coliid=I8H4ZMQ83VAYZ

thank you!

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    If finances are currently an issue, save your money and just work out. HRMs are not needed by anyone to get into shape.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    If finances are an issue I wouldn't do it right now. This is a luxury item. I have a Polar F6 and I rarely use it. In fact I found it gave me an excuse to eat more. It worked great.

But I would wait until you have the money. You do not need it to lose weight.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above. A cheap HRM is not worth owning, as it isn't going to be very accurate. Save your money and wait until you can invest in at least an FT4, or just do without. I see my HRM as a toy, not a necessity.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    This is the one I bought about a year ago: http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/90039173.html?productid=90039173&channelid=APABE&utm_source=CSEs&utm_medium=AmazonProductAds&utm_campaign=heartratemonitorsusa

I would save my money and get something better, later. The one you are looking at on Amazon senses your pulse at the wrist and you probably will have to press the watch against the wrist to get a reading. You want one with the sensor on a strap that you wear directly on your chest.
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    A suggestion I have would be to wait until you can afford a good one.....a cheap one or a just wrist one isn't worth it. Also, I would suggest getting one with a chest strap as they are better to calculate an accurate HR.

Don't know if this will help you any but...........Here is a link that was posted in another thread with a lot of information on HRM's.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

I purchased a Polar FT40 last year from heartratemonitorsusa dot com to replace my old Polar (which didn't calculate calories burned) and I :heart: the FT40.

You can search the internet for specials and lowest prices if you are shopping for any HRM on sites like heart rate monitors usa , Amazon, sporting stores, ebay, etc.

Also, search for online codes so that you can take advantage of any additional savings :wink:
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice, I will save my money for now and do some more research!! :)
  • kellbell_2740
    Options
    I rarely use mine. I would wait, or invest in something like a fitbit activity monitor when you are more financially able. My fitbit is much more motivating to me than the FT60 HRM. It tracks steps, floors, activity level, calories burned, distance, has a stopwatch (to check your heartrate when you stop for a drink;] ), and helps you to monitor sleep. Your MFP account can be linked to your fitbit account, as well.