anyone make almond milk

Options
I just saw a DIY vid on making ur own almond milk & its pretty simple... but wondered how cost effective it is.... how much milk does it yield per cup of almonds?

Replies

• katiedid1226
    katiedid1226 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    It isn't cost effective, nor did I think it was as tasty as store-bought. But I liked that I knew exactly what was in there. I didn't measure the yield, either. Sorry I"m not much help!
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    I cup almonds makes 4 cups of milk.. Depending on where you get the almonds and what type they are, it can be pricey. It is kind of a pain to make, but some people enjoy doing that kind of thing.
  • sam_sb2008
    Options
    Almonds are expensive as it is. Not sure if its worth it.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I've never made it, but other recipes say it yields about a quart of almond milk per cup of almonds. On par with what you'd pay for almond milk at the store.
  • ls_66
    ls_66 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I've been making almond milk for a year now, out of a cup of almonds I get 6 cups of milk... so it basically last me a week, I think it's worth the effort because I know exactly what goes in... sometimes I sweeten it with one or two dates
  • jdsmom0104
    Options
    thanks everyone. i've been buying a bad (not sure the size) from aldi for $4/bag and LOVE them. dont use any other brand. it's oven roasted unsalted. may try it once. what kinda almonds do u use?
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I've not tried, but heard that it's not cost effective, because of the cost of the almonds.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I've been making almond milk for a year now, out of a cup of almonds I get 6 cups of milk... so it basically last me a week, I think it's worth the effort because I know exactly what goes in... sometimes I sweeten it with one or two dates
    So how do you do it, just soak the almonds or is there more to it?
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone. i've been buying a bad (not sure the size) from aldi for $4/bag and LOVE them. dont use any other brand. it's oven roasted unsalted. may try it once. what kinda almonds do u use?
    You have to use raw almonds, I think.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options

you don't "have to", but a lot of people make it with raw almonds because they want the milk to be raw. Also I forgot to mention in my earlier answer you will really want to invest in a nut milk strainer bag if you are going to do this regularly.
  • jdsmom0104
    Options

you don't "have to", but a lot of people make it with raw almonds because they want the milk to be raw. Also I forgot to mention in my earlier answer you will really want to invest in a nut milk strainer bag if you are going to do this regularly.

o geez, didn't know there was such a thing! lol