im sorry if i offend

Options
but i look at peoples pictures on here and often wonder about the people in the pictures. i see slim people who i think 'why do they need to slim' and 'i wish i was that slim'. then i see big people like me and wonder if they are struggling like me. yea, i am big, i put on a smile but inside i am crying. crying out to be slim and at least look good.

Replies

• Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I'm understanding your question. When I see slim people on MFP, I think, "whatever they're doing must be working." Many of us here started out large and are now much thinner.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You'd probably consider me slim. I wasn't offended.

Something to consider: folks come on here for lots of reasons. Not everyone is dieting with myfitnesspal. Some folks are using it for fitness, for maintaining, for gaining...

Some folks use it to lose 10lbs.
    Some folks use it to educate themselves about food.

Some folks just use it for accountability.

Good luck on your journey. I hope you find what you're looking for from myfitnesspal.
  • Crazycatladytracey
    Options

Something to consider: folks come on here for lots of reasons. Not everyone is dieting with myfitnesspal. Some folks are using it for fitness, for maintaining, for gaining...

Good luck on your journey. I hope you find what you're looking for from myfitnesspal.

i understand a bit better now you have put it this way.
  • jennylee813
    jennylee813 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Don't be sorry - like PPs said, everyone is here for their own reasons. I'm here because I've stalled. I've lost about 45 pounds so far, and would like to lose another 12-15 and tone up. I've come a long way, but am not quite where I want to be just yet, and am hoping that tracking my food will help. For me, I tend to under eat.

Also, don't forget that one of the side effects of medications is weight gain. This doesn't mean you shouldn't take them - you need them. I have a family member who has gone through what you're going through, and she gained weight from her meds as well. Maybe your doctor can offer some advice to help you along.

Good luck and don't give up!
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    The most miserable I have ever been is when I compare myself to others.
    No, when I see guys doing well, I want to be inspired.
    If they can reach their goals, so can I.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from...

One thing I realize now, that I am near the end of my weight loss journey (not my maintenance journey), is that some may see me and say 'why is she here she is slim' But I wasn't slim before, I was 87lbs heavier. Some are just at the start of their journey and some near the end. And it doesn't matter at what point any of us are at, we all still struggle.

I also went thru all those emotions. I pretended to be happy but I wasn't. Size doesn't matter, but I was never a fat girl who was honestly happy. I longed to feel better, to feel more attractive, to have more self confidence. The confidence came, I do feel better, but it is still all really hard -- my mind hasn't caught up.

Good luck to everyone.

ETA: I kinda had to laugh, I am not slim, I am average :)
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    but i look at peoples pictures on here and often wonder about the people in the pictures. i see slim people who i think 'why do they need to slim' and 'i wish i was that slim'.

Commit to seriously following a plan here and you'll be one of "those people". No doubt about that.
  • whitneyps7
    whitneyps7 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    but i look at peoples pictures on here and often wonder about the people in the pictures. i see slim people who i think 'why do they need to slim' and 'i wish i was that slim'. then i see big people like me and wonder if they are struggling like me. yea, i am big, i put on a smile but inside i am crying. crying out to be slim and at least look good.

it takes alot of hard work hun!!!! there are ppl on here who arnt "big" or "overweight" but they still want to look better and be healthier! we are all in this together weather u be: super small small meduim average big ect everyones on here to be healthier and be happier with their body. even ppl who are on here to GAIN weight
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    I'm confused.
  • iamthecatsass
    Options

Heck I am on here to deal with my three fold addiction of cigarettes, beer and night time tv...and to get more exercise...
    It's the best website I have found yet....cheers.
    Oh and of course to get slimmer.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Note that the name of the page is "Myfitnesspal", not just "Myweightlosspal". While weight loss is the goal of many/most here, there are some who have lost the weight, are maintaining it and using the calorie/macro/exercise tracking functions to assist them in that goal. There are others who, even though they're at/near goal weight, are trying to reduce bodyfat percentage and/or gain lean muscle mass, whether for health or aesthetics (or both, as is often the case). Some of those pictures you see of "slim" people are people who started this journey off nowhere near slim or healthy, and have achieved that goal with the help of MFP.

There are a lot of different goals here, but all are aimed toward the same basic purposes - to look better, feel better and be healthier/more fit. The tracking/reporting functions are equally useful to all regardless of whether one's goal is to lose 250 pounds or to get rid of that pesky last 2% of bodyfat.
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    hoping you/we can switch the want to "look good" to want to "feel good" sooner than later...it'll help with all the bumps in the road. There will always be those that are thinner/leaner/fitter, so let's get deep first and stick it out all the way through....it's a lifelong journey...

Love yourself and your body will respond ♥
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    do you ever think why they are slim? how they got that slim? what they are doing to stay that slim? some of us didn't have a ton to lose but enough to make a difference. i had 20-25 lbs to lose and now i hit that goal but it did take a year to do so, it wasn't quick and easy. you would look at me know and think what you are thinking but a year ago you would of said, " ya she could lose a bit"...etc i was max bmi, and i was 8 lbs over my max weight for my height, on a small frame/ height that is a lot. i had a comfort zone before i let myself go and i needed to get back to that. For me it was 1st, to be as healthy as i could be and 2nd to get that extra weight off me and back to my comfort zone... instead of thinking they are already slim and don't need help etc or to be on here, think how can i get myself there..... i will be on here for the rest of my life as long as i need to log my food, so i NEVER get back to that place where i am 25 lbs overweight ever again!!!
  • nunep
    nunep Posts: 21
    Options
    No offence taken, think about it... most of us started big, and with the help of this site we were able to lose weight. It takes time, effort and will power to become a healthier person.
  • FelicityEliza36
    FelicityEliza36 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    The same could be said about being at the gym...

I caught myself a few weeks ago feeling uncomfortable (big ol' me) on the treadmill next to (blond haired barbie) and I thought to myself.... "why is she here??"

Then I screamed at myself inside and said, "wait! Dont judge her! She could have started out where I am now and have lost 100 lbs"

You just never know - she may be struggling with other things. Think outside the box :)
  • Lovelygirl1975
    Lovelygirl1975 Posts: 26 Member
    Options

I understand what you mean. I used to feel the same way when I would see thin people whether it would be here or at the gym. Because I was also big and crying on the inside. Trust me I could post a picture from a couple of years ago. Believe me I do understand, but what I had to learn was that all people regardless of how much weight they want to lose (10 pounds or 100) or if they just want to be healthier, we are all in this fight to be healthy and have we want in life together. We all have struggles, bad habits, and hard times. It makes takes so much courage to change your lifestyle and it's not easy. But, believe me we are all in this together regardless of what the person looks like or what they are working on. :smile:
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I'm not really offended, but I'm going to echo what other people are saying. This is myfitnesspal. Most people who are slim (myself included) do not stay that way magically, and probably had to work from not-so-slim to get here. We have to continue to work at it, and that's why we're here. And we're all here together!! :flowerforyou:
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I only come here because I thought there would be free pizza...but seriously, I'm a type 2 diabetic and it helps me keep track of my calories and carbs, and I have managed to lose a little weight in the process.
  • Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
    Options

I know how you feel, it's so hard to begin and to trudge on sometimes. But, you can do this; you really can.. one day at a time, even one meal at a time. Small steps lead to longer steps. Gather all the support that you can from the people on this site. There are many of us who feel as you do.. you are not alone.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I am not here to lose weight. I am here to gain muscle and then maintain within a certain weight range. People use MFP for different reason aside from weight loss.