Need a Sugar Detox plan

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    just don't eat it?

Easier said than done! Some people struggle with eating the proper foods and to simply waste our time and put "Just don't it it" is rather rude in my opinion.

Now to be productive to this post: I start with getting the food out of my house. This doesn't always work, because people bring sweets into work, I might stop somewhere, and will power isn't always easy. I also find that repeating to myself "I do not eat sweets" actually works! Positive affirmation can add to willpower.

I'm having trouble understanding why it is so hard to do. If you want it bad enough, then you will do what it takes. That goes for anything in life. It's not being rude, just using common sense.

People get addicted to sugar for lots of reasons, and they are all very legitimate.

Sugar is physically very addictive - this is becuase of the effect it has on your blood glucose/insulin levels (creating fluctuations and cravings, and also needed to up your intake) , it also affects dopamine receptors in the brain - these are linked to pleasure and cravings - is also ocurrs when someone is using substances like addictive illegal drugs. More and more of the substance is needed to recreate the feelings of pleasure.

People get addicted to sugar for emotional reasons too - sometimes it is to forget things for a while, or to try and make yourself feel better. or just to fill a gap of something else that is missing in their lives. It is also a fact that some people are genetically pre disposed to be addicted to things. Sometimes its just habit, and sometimes someone doesnt have much self control, or they are greedy!

Theres plenty of very credible scientific studies outthere Wendyterry, if you want to understand it further. Just becuse its not something you properly understand then it doesnt mean its stupid or doesnt exist :smile:

No, it isn't physically addictive. I have actually studied addiction issues and volunteered time working with addicts. Lots of things affect our dopamine and serotonin levels, that doesn't make ANY those things addictive.
  • Shas2228
    Shas2228 Posts: 187
    Options
    Sugar was my downfall. Before I started eating better and losing weight, I could've eaten anything sugar 3 times a day plus sugar dipped in sugar and then glazed in sugar snacks. Horrible.

I haven't gone back since September 12th.

The way I mastered this was
    1.) I told myself I couldn't eat it, period.
    2.) I ate an apple a day (Seriously... Fuji is awesome.. I read eating an apple a day helps curb sugar cravings.) and
    3.) I discovered Atkins products that are packed with protein and have either 0g or 1g of sugar. My favorite is Dark Royal Chocolate protein shake. 160 calories and 1 g of sugar and I think 18g of protein. An AWESOME snack.

That's how I battled my inner sugar beast.

Good luck!
  • Jessie169
    Jessie169 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    just don't eat it?

Easier said than done! Some people struggle with eating the proper foods and to simply waste our time and put "Just don't it it" is rather rude in my opinion.

Now to be productive to this post: I start with getting the food out of my house. This doesn't always work, because people bring sweets into work, I might stop somewhere, and will power isn't always easy. I also find that repeating to myself "I do not eat sweets" actually works! Positive affirmation can add to willpower.

I'm having trouble understanding why it is so hard to do. If you want it bad enough, then you will do what it takes. That goes for anything in life. It's not being rude, just using common sense.

People get addicted to sugar for lots of reasons, and they are all very legitimate.

Sugar is physically very addictive - this is becuase of the effect it has on your blood glucose/insulin levels (creating fluctuations and cravings, and also needed to up your intake) , it also affects dopamine receptors in the brain - these are linked to pleasure and cravings - is also ocurrs when someone is using substances like addictive illegal drugs. More and more of the substance is needed to recreate the feelings of pleasure.

People get addicted to sugar for emotional reasons too - sometimes it is to forget things for a while, or to try and make yourself feel better. or just to fill a gap of something else that is missing in their lives. It is also a fact that some people are genetically pre disposed to be addicted to things. Sometimes its just habit, and sometimes someone doesnt have much self control, or they are greedy!

Theres plenty of very credible scientific studies outthere Wendyterry, if you want to understand it further. Just becuse its not something you properly understand then it doesnt mean its stupid or doesnt exist :smile:

No, it isn't physically addictive. I have actually studied addiction issues and volunteered time working with addicts. Lots of things affect our dopamine and serotonin levels, that doesn't make ANY those things addictive.

Oh thats cool, then you must be very knowlegable then about why people are addicted to sugar - and other foods too I guess. And I'm sure you have a good understanding about all the other reasons why people get addicted to all sorts of things that do or dont affect have an affect on on dopamine or serotonin. You must be very knowlegable with all your experience, and theres lots of people on here who have issues with being affected by addiction to food/sugar so perhaps you could share some of your knowlege with us, I'm sure it would help lots of people here :smile:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    just don't eat it?

Oh thats cool, then you must be very knowlegable then about why people are addicted to sugar - and other foods too I guess. And I'm sure you have a good understanding about all the other reasons why people get addicted to all sorts of things that do or dont affect have an affect on on dopamine or serotonin. You must be very knowlegable with all your experience, and theres lots of people on here who have issues with being affected by addiction to food/sugar so perhaps you could share some of your knowlege with us, I'm sure it would help lots of people here :smile:

It does have a bit to do with brain chemistry. Yes, eating sugar is pleasurable, just like having sex or getting a promotion, or any number of things. But it isn't a true addiction, not a physical one, because there is no withdrawal syndrome. There are quite a few studies on this topic. No study has ever found sugar to be physically addictive. It is all in our minds. So when we change our mindset- (i.e. "decide" to moderate it or cut it) then we have no physical symptoms from it. Cravings, yes. Desires, yes. But not actual physical symptoms.

The people that I worked with in the past were those who had already detoxed, mostly meth users, but a few crack users and one heroin user. Most of the time, I simply listened to them and let them speak freely. They were trying to cope with their new lifestyle. I do think that some people eat too much food because of the pleasure of eating. However, it is very different because we *have* to eat, and there is honestly no *physical* reason to abstain from any food, unless there is some medical condition.

I'm no head-shrinker though, just a good listener and brutally honest. Some people appreciate honesty, others not so much. In my honest opinion, "the journey" is all about getting our heads on straight, figuring out what works, and just doing it. No excuses.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Exactly! Almost everything can potentially affect dopamine levels, even simply waking up in the morning.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I has been so good for so long. Over the last month I had been reading starlight mints on occasion and now that I tossed them, I want them really bad. Sugar is so rotten.
  • ellarainbow
    Options
    My plan is upping my protein grams and taking l glutamine to help with the sugar cravings...so far so good!

Have heard both of these work! As well as upping good fats, coconut oil, avocado, etc. But I also believe that you have to cold turkey through it. I am starting that today myself. Sugar for me is a terrible craving and binge eating trigger. It also feeds unhealthy yeasts and gets your gut off balance. Didnt know if anyone was up for (and havent checked to see if this already exists) a "No Sugar" group! I am hoping to keep mine below 15-18 grams?

I am definitely up for a no sugar, low sugar support group. MVP is allowing me to have 24 grams a day so I am really going to start looking at the labels and choosing more wisely. I am not looking forward to those intense cravings that I get a few days into it. I started eating more protein today too and it does seem to help. I am also one of those people that really like bitter chocolate so anything over 70% cacao may also help me get through the initial days.

I'd definitely be interested in a "Low Sugar" group. I've pretty much signed up just to monitor my sugar levels. Sadly I can't quite bring myself to throw out all the cake I got sent home with after Christmas but I'm going to cut it into tiny pieces so I can fit it into my daily allowance. MFP says I can have 35g per day so I guess I'll be sticking with that until my cake supplies are gone, then thinking about dropping it further.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Step 1: Eat less sugar
    Step 2: See step 1
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Get all the sugar out of your house. Along with Breads, Pasta's, Rice, Potatoes etc. Your body will crave these just the same as sugar, especially if you are already craving sugar, and your body treats these the same as cookies, cakes, and candies.
  • Cptrob
    Cptrob Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Step 1: Eat less sugar
    Step 2: See step 1

and repeat... and repeat....
  • marinebiologist_girl
    Options
    I hear ya!! I have eaten so many sweets I could puke. I am going to try drinking herbal teas and crocheting as a distraction. lol Whatever you do, stay away from diet sodas. I think it just makes you crave worse.

I love the tea idea. I know that Good Earth has a tea that is naturally sweet without any added sugar. I completely forgot about this until you mentioned tea. I also agree with no diet soda - which I typically would drink but like you, I think it just makes things worse.
    Oh, definitely seconded. Sugar-free drinks, and tea, weaned me off excessive sugar when my diet first began.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I think I will always be a sugar addict but something that's helped me is eating fruit.

If I am having a major craving I usually go for pineapple, grapes or oranges.
    I know they are high sugar but the way I look at it is your getting other nutrition and volume to fill up the belly.

Other fruit I LOVE are: ( i don't know the sugars...sorry haha)
    Strawberries...only 46 calories for a cup of them. Um heck ya!
    Raspberries...I think under 50 cals a cup...not sure
    Watermelon is 46-50 cals a cup
    Mandarin oranges in water (drained) are 72 calories can.

I hope that helps.
  • mrsgoodwine
    mrsgoodwine Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    just don't eat it?

Logically, it makes sense. But like a lot of other addictions (physical or emotional), it's easier said than done. Some of us just need external tools to help us out. Others, like you, are lucky enough to have the internal tools are already built in. I know it's hard to understand, but it is what it is unfortunately. I envy you.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    just don't eat it?

Logically, it makes sense. But like a lot of other addictions, it's easier said than done. Some of us just need external tools to help us out. Others, like you, are lucky enough to have the internal tools are already built in. I know it's hard to understand, but it is what it is unfortunately. I envy you.

I guess for me it was just the decision. I cut out refined sugar completely for my first month on MFP, because I thought it wasn't possible to lose weight if you eat sugar. After I learned that I was wrong, I simply decided to save calories each day for a treat. Maybe you could try that. Just eat a dessert after dinner, then your dessert is something to look forward to. That will help with the mental aspect. Because it *is* mental and emotional. It's not like heroin or nicotine.
  • Jessie169
    Jessie169 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    just don't eat it?

It does have a bit to do with brain chemistry. Yes, eating sugar is pleasurable, just like having sex or getting a promotion, or any number of things. But it isn't a true addiction, not a physical one, because there is no withdrawal syndrome. There are quite a few studies on this topic. No study has ever found sugar to be physically addictive. It is all in our minds. So when we change our mindset- (i.e. "decide" to moderate it or cut it) then we have no physical symptoms from it. Cravings, yes. Desires, yes. But not actual physical symptoms.

The people that I worked with in the past were those who had already detoxed, mostly meth users, but a few crack users and one heroin user. Most of the time, I simply listened to them and let them speak freely. They were trying to cope with their new lifestyle. I do think that some people eat too much food because of the pleasure of eating. However, it is very different because we *have* to eat, and there is honestly no *physical* reason to abstain from any food, unless there is some medical condition.

I'm no head-shrinker though, just a good listener and brutally honest. Some people appreciate honesty, others not so much. In my honest opinion, "the journey" is all about getting our heads on straight, figuring out what works, and just doing it. No excuses.

Thanks for the imput! Meth's some pretty hardcore stuff, thank god we dont have some much of a problem over here...
    Looks like you do have a pretty good idea why/how people get addicted to food afterall.

I agree with what you said about the 'new lifestyle'. Some stuff you can 'just stop' (like sugar - you definately can) and other stuff you cant (ie it will kill you if you do) but I think its what you do after youve stopped, and what you do to replace the addiction (emotionally and physically) that will determine whether you will relapse. So, in a way, yes it is very simple - 'just stop eating sugar' but what happens after also needs to be taken care to make it work.
  • Whimzeee
    Whimzeee Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I've gotten off the sugar wagon twice now - wish I had stayed off!

Because of the intense headaches, I personally couldn't do it cold turkey. So - since I love black licorice, I bought myself a huge box of Good n' Plenty and counted them. I divided them up day by day. I ate a lot the first day and then decreased that initial amount by a few more each day till I was only consuming a couple a day. It worked for me!

Good Luck!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    If I eat foods high in protein and fiber, I feel more full and the cravings are not as strong.
  • mrsgoodwine
    Options
    just don't eat it?

Logically, it makes sense. But like a lot of other addictions, it's easier said than done. Some of us just need external tools to help us out. Others, like you, are lucky enough to have the internal tools are already built in. I know it's hard to understand, but it is what it is unfortunately. I envy you.

I guess for me it was just the decision. I cut out refined sugar completely for my first month on MFP, because I thought it wasn't possible to lose weight if you eat sugar. After I learned that I was wrong, I simply decided to save calories each day for a treat. Maybe you could try that. Just eat a dessert after dinner, then your dessert is something to look forward to. That will help with the mental aspect. Because it *is* mental and emotional. It's not like heroin or nicotine.

Agreed
  • mrsgoodwine
    Options
    I had a sandwich with peanut butter - that seemed to help a bit too since peanut butter is a little sweet but also has a lot of protein.