Vinyasa yoga- how many calories burned?

Options
I am a 17 yrs old girl, 120 lbs weight and 5" 3' height. If I do vinyasa yoga for 30 minutes, how many calories would I burn?
I found out in a site which said 60 minutes of Vinyasa Yoga to be equal to 60 mins of moderate bike riding. Is this correct news?
If it's not, please tell me to which exercise it equals in terms of calories burned?

Replies

• KamalBhai
    KamalBhai Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hello buddy and welcome to MyFitnessPal,

Vinyasa yoga is usually combined with the Ashtanga form to create one dynamic class. The emphasis is placed on flowing from one pose to the next, particularly during the sun salutation. Vinyasa classes typically burn 445 calories per hour, or the same amount as jogging at a slow pace for 60 minutes.
  • RiverDancer68
    RiverDancer68 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    ^^I agree! I do Hot Vinyasa Yoga, and I'm sure it burns more, but I log around 300-440, depending on the class (I do a 60 minute class, but sometimes they are Level I and sometimes a Level II). :flowerforyou:
  • justme9717
    Options
    thanks buddies :)
  • DontThinkJustRun
    DontThinkJustRun Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Hello buddy and welcome to MyFitnessPal,

Vinyasa yoga is usually combined with the Ashtanga form to create one dynamic class. The emphasis is placed on flowing from one pose to the next, particularly during the sun salutation. Vinyasa classes typically burn 445 calories per hour, or the same amount as jogging at a slow pace for 60 minutes.

I run and do yoga and sorry to strongly disagree but yoga does not burn as much as you think, not sure where you get this info from. At best you'll burn 150-300 cals depending your weight, effort and style of yoga during a 90 minute class. Hot Vinyasa will burn slightly more just by the fact that it does elevate your heart rate some, but in generally the heat makes you think you're working harder, but you're not.

MFP has yoga in it's datebase, it's a decent estimate, but it's probably a little high as well.