im sorry if i offend

Options

Replies

• lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Not everyone is here to lose weight Some are here to maintain a goal they'e reached, or evben to reach a fitness goal that is NOT weight oriented. Some of us, like me, came here to lose weight and are now moving into the non weight related goal category.

Then again, there ARE people here who are almost underweight, crying about how they feel fat. it takes a ll kinds, I guess.
  • kylawelsh
    kylawelsh Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm here to be accountable and work with my weight loss.
  • Nana920
    Nana920 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    This thread should be "required reading" for every person who is new to myfitnesspal.
  • zoukeira
    zoukeira Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'm slim (now) and I wasn't offended. I know EXACTLY where you are coming from, because I used to look at girls my size and think - 'you don't need to slim down, I'd be thrilled if I was your size!' but now I'm here and there are still things that I'm not happy with and just like big people I have the exact same struggle to make them perfect and the exact same prescription to get there - exercise and diet. So although I'm slim (now) I'm still going through the same struggles, in fact as I've got smaller it's become even harder because I can eat less and I have to work out more to see results.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I'm at a normal weight, but I want to lose the extra 10 pounds to give myself more of a margin. That way, if life gets stressful or whatever and I put on a little extra, I'll still be at a healthy weight.
  • kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    The most miserable I have ever been is when I compare myself to others.
    One of the best quotes and so pertinent for daily life. I never thought about it but that's also when I've been at my unhappiest.
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Then again, there ARE people here who are almost underweight, crying about how they feel fat. it takes a ll kinds, I guess.

I'm just a little over my ideal weight, and I would always do the worst thing possible to lose it. I would just NOT eat. For days, until I would pass out. I need a better way and I need accountability and support. I'm going through the roughest time in my life since I was 18, and it would be so easy for me to not eat and lose all the way back down to a very unhealthy 113 pounds/size 2. When I see those pictures, I refuse to do that to myself again. So I'm here for two reasons - to learn to make better decisions, to be more healthy in the long term, not just to look good for an event.

My photos I have posted are just the most recent, and they are of where I want to be... because the last few months, where I have gained the stress-weight, there haven't been many photos to be taken. I do have the ones from 5 years ago when I was pushing a size 16, but that person disappeared long ago. I also have the ones from when I was so thin, it scared me - leading me to hiring a trainer and learning to work out for the first time in my life. That was a long time ago too.

This is about learning and living and being happy and healthy, everything I want you to be too.
  • amanda_catherine
    Options
    one thing women (or men) need to be sorry of .. is being sorry. Stop being sorry over every little thing. How can you move forward if you are glued to the past of regrets. If it was a slip up or a mix up of words... acknowledge it as that and move on. :flowerforyou:
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    No offence taken.

I joined to help me pinpoint where in my diet the little bit extra was creeping in. I've lost 15 pounds so far and will probably be ok dropping another 2-3. For me, if I hadn't stumbled across this site, the extra 15 I was carrying could easily have blown out to 20-25 by Christmas....another 20 creeps on by June...then suddenly I have a problem. I am grateful for this site as it stopped my small problem from becoming a much larger one to deal with.

I needed this to help me remember my healthy diet and portion sizes. Being a really busy person, I get a bit run down too so now I also use the diary to track my iron levels, my carbs and my proteins. If I don't eat enough of the right things in combination then my low BP causes me to get dizzy and faceplant.

<<<< and yes... this is me after I had lost about 10-12 pounds.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm not offended. It's ok to feel the way you feel, you didn't insult people or anything like that.

I am at an ideal weight. I have always taken my fitness very seriously. I am a dancer, and a mother, and I love to be active. I enjoy my body fit. But, staying fit for life takes work and diligence and awareness. I am in my mid thirties. I am here because I want to maintain and build my Lean Body Mass for optimum health and dance performance. I am here, so that I won't gain fat or get out of shape. I am making sure I am never in that boat.

But, aside from weight, everyone has experienced tragedies and pain in their lives.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Not offended at all. I started big too at 215 lbs. I lost 90 and now work to maintain.

It is work, and I know if I go back to old eating habits, the weight will come back too.

While there's a wide variety of folks on here who are at different places in our journey, the majority of us are here to maintain / get better health, lose weight, and feel better about ourselves.

Best of luck to you.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    You are beautiful. What beach was the pic taken at? My pic is my dog Lady, how does that make you feel?. I was going to change of a pic of me but I have gotten so many comments on her and received friends requests so decided not to.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    People like myself have been on this site for over 2 years. I've used this site for 2 years on and off, I've lost 123 lbs due to this site! You can get there!!! IT CAN HAPPEN! The question is, do you want it bad enough to do what we have done and what we have fought for so bad to get there? I use to weigh 250 lbs I now weigh 127 lbs. I fight day and mostly night to keep from gaining back. It isn't easy but what it is worth it, what is worth having isn't easy but what is easy isn't worth having. You can only be in control of that.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I don't see what would offend here but I suppose it is possible.

Slim people on MFP .. Several reasons. A -- Someone who has lost a great deal of weight and is here now to maintain or perhaps to become more fit. B -- Somebody who is actually here to GAIN weight.. There are those who need help in that area... hard to understand, but it happens. C -- Anorexics who have a distorted body image... and they fight a battle far worse than the rest of us.

Those who are overweight are face similar struggles.. Some have harder times than others... Some face challenges that are a little different than others. Our goals may be the same but the nuances of our journey are all unique. Best wishes on your personal journey.
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    but i look at peoples pictures on here and often wonder about the people in the pictures. i see slim people who i think 'why do they need to slim' and 'i wish i was that slim'. then i see big people like me and wonder if they are struggling like me. yea, i am big, i put on a smile but inside i am crying. crying out to be slim and at least look good.

Sometimes it's not about being slim. It's about being healthy. I've been "little" my whole life, but I hit my breaking point and realized I needed to start taking care of myself. I have always been small yet rarely in shape. I'm here to keep myself in check and learn how to be more active and eat cleaner. We all deserve to put our health first.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I am not offended, and I know I still have a lot to lose. I was 243 in May 2011 lost weight during pregnancy and am now down to 172lbs. And I have never been tiny (couldn't tell ya what a flat tummy on me is because honestly I have never had one or what wearing a single size jeans is or wearing a bikini or a mini skirt or a dress above my knees) but I am working on getting fit and being able to run and dance and other things. My son deserves to have his mom around for a very long time, and not be without a momma when he turns 20.

You can do this, don't let anyone say any differently. Its a struggle but it can be done.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    when I look at people's avatars and there's food... it makes me hungry :p
  • eylia
    eylia Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    As everyone has said before me, this website isn't all about weight loss/management. I think it is important not to fall into the trap of comparing yourself to others, or judging them. Needing to know why people are here doesn't even matter, because its a journey for 'self', wether its fitness or weightloss, or something completely different. Being slim doesn't mean someone feels...better or happier than perhaps you yourself do, self improvement is possible for everyone in any shape or size and I think its a rare human that doesn't feel that way.
  • lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    If you are new to this site and have a long road it can seem daunting. Trust that if you commit you can achieve your goals. When I joined, I found others who had accomplished what I was setting out to do and then became friends. You might find guidance, support and inspiration doing the same.
  • kel665
    kel665 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I see pictures of slim people and think "wow! they did great! I can't wait until I look like that!". It inspires me, I love to go into the success stories and see the before and after pictures and stories, it really keeps me motivated. Most of these people are just normal people trying to get fit and healthy and if they can do it then so can I! :)