Want to add lifting to my routine but where to start

Options
So I started my weight loss journey at 293 lbs, started in August. I lost my first 35 lbs through diet control alone. I started exercising regularly at the end of October, all cardio. I am now down to 248 lbs. I still have a lot to lose but want to start including weight training . I am looking I think to do more isolated lifting ESP to start toning in my arms. My calf muscles are pretty decent and my thighs aren't bad either. I would also like to strengthen my core, back and chest. I have big boobs (DDD) and while I have lost inches around, my cup size hasn't moved much. I have MS and some weakness in my arms, I also can't do to much to fast without serious burning and fatigue in my upper arms, but I want to strengthen them

So my question is how to start, I will need something to build on. Also simple to start I do not have much background with weights. I was hoping to set up something with the trainer at my gym but he has a very lmited schedule to work one on one to set people up with a routine and the only night he does it is on a day I coach cheer leading practice, and I work til 530 five days a week so i can't do any of his am slots either. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    congrats so far on your weight loss.

look up the books starting strength by mark rippetoe (best book for going through lifts IMO), new rules of lifting for women or google strong lifts 5x5.

IMO strong lifts is a better choice for a beginner than NROL4W since new rules gets really complicated around stage 3 but each is good for developing over all strength and helping to preserve muscle while you lose weight.

if you do one of these, make an appointment with trainer so s/he can show proper way to squat, deadlift, bench press, etc so you don't just go in blind and end up hurting yourself.

good luck
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I just recently read this article and think it might be a good idea.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_five_principles_of_radical_fat_loss

If you take anything away from the article, complexes should be it.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    ^ complexes are more for cardio than strength, though. or as startes or finishers before a strength training program. since you are doing the movements quickly and using the same weights for all exercises (picking the most comfortable weightfor your weakest move), it's difficult to do it for strength building.

here's another t-nation article with 4 good complexes: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/screw_cardio_four_complexes_for_a_shredded_physique

i usually do either the tumminello with a 25# weight plate or cosgrove complex with a 50 # as a warm up.
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Complex would be difficult giving my weakness and burning issues I need something that I can do x number of sets of xyz take a brief break then do x number of sets of the next lift segment. I hope that makes sense. I would love to work with the trainer but unfortunately for the foreseeable future our schedules just don't work. But I would like to start something that's why I want to do isolated rather than full body lifts. I will check out the suggested books. Any other tips or ideas would be great.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    The best way for me to give you Isolation ideas would be for you to just use this link, It has a lot of lifts isolation and compound lifts, you can chose body parts and it will give you routines and ideas, even a lot of videos on form. By the way just from eating right and lifting ( a lot of isolation work ) when I was losing weight I had great success. I only started doing more compound workouts a few months ago, but I still mix in isolation lifts because I go 5 days a week and target specific muscles each day. So don't let all of the people who hate on isolation lifts bother you, they are great for building strength and targeting muscles you know need improvement.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/workout/muscle-groups.html
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Thanks Backtatjim. I will definitely check it out!
  • rio66
    rio66 Posts: 49
    Options
    Is there a possibility you could find another trainer who is more willing to be flexible? There's a few out there that are willing to work ;)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    You can do a novice compounding lifting program: Starting Strength or StrongLifts 5x5 are the usual go-tos.
  • KatieSchoey
    Options
    Can you take a class at your gym? That is always a good place to start,, and are you doing any floor exercises with your cardio? Just remember it is not about how much weight you are lifting it is more about performing it correctly.
    If you are a "power house " sort of girl weight training will feel good and it is important to work all the areas Try starting with twice a week and remember to have fun
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    To be honest, and while I do not hate on iso work (just for the record) it is more efficient for someone who is new to lifting and who is looking to lose a decent amount of weight to do full body workouts which include the major compound lifts, The reason for this includes:

- compound utilize a number of muscles at one go and as such have a better metabolic impact
    - if you do not lift and also if you cannot see your muscles yet, you do not know which areas you may or may not need to work on
    - if you are trying to maintain LBM, you will not be doing that effectively just working out a couple of muscle groups
    - trying to develop a routine yourself selecting iso lifts may lead to muscle imbalance

A tried and testing full body routine that includes compound lifts and progressive loading is the best for beginners imo. Some of these such as Starting Strength and Stronglifts 5 x 5 are only compound lifts, and some like NROL4W include more variety of lifts.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The best way for me to give you Isolation ideas would be for you to just use this link, It has a lot of lifts isolation and compound lifts, you can chose body parts and it will give you routines and ideas, even a lot of videos on form. By the way just from eating right and lifting ( a lot of isolation work ) when I was losing weight I had great success. I only started doing more compound workouts a few months ago, but I still mix in isolation lifts because I go 5 days a week and target specific muscles each day. So don't let all of the people who hate on isolation lifts bother you, they are great for building strength and targeting muscles you know need improvement.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/workout/muscle-groups.html

Recommending a full body workout that is focused around compounds to someone who is new to lifting and is looking to maintain LBM while losing weight is a far cry from hating on iso work....just for the record.
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    To be honest, and while I do not hate on iso work (just for the record) it is more efficient for someone who is new to lifting and who is looking to lose a decent amount of weight to do full body workouts which include the major compound lifts, The reason for this includes:

- compound utilize a number of muscles at one go and as such have a better metabolic impact
    - if you do not lift and also if you cannot see your muscles yet, you do not know which areas you may or may not need to work on
    - if you are trying to maintain LBM, you will not be doing that effectively just working out a couple of muscle groups
    - trying to develop a routine yourself selecting iso lifts may lead to muscle imbalance

A tried and testing full body routine that includes compound lifts and progressive loading is the best for beginners imo. Some of these such as Starting Strength and Stronglifts 5 x 5 are only compound lifts, and some like NROL4W include more variety of lifts.

^ listen to her! I started the new rules of lifting for women and quit after stage 3 because the lifts where just so complicated...If you're into that kinda stuff then go for it i guess, though. I JUST switched to Stronglifts 5x5 and im actually happy (also i was skeptical at first) But for begginers i think that stronglifts is great because it tells you which weight to start at, and it's just so simple and effective. If you can't have a personal trainer show you the moves.. There are videos on the stronglifts website and you should just ask people that are in the weight room if they can show you how its done and everything... AND stronglifts is free! You can try it for 12 weeks and decide if you want to continue it.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

^ listen to her! I started the new rules of lifting for women and quit after stage 3 because the lifts where just so complicated...If you're into that kinda stuff then go for it i guess, though. I JUST switched to Stronglifts 5x5 and im actually happy (also i was skeptical at first) But for begginers i think that stronglifts is great because it tells you which weight to start at, and it's just so simple and effective. If you can't have a personal trainer show you the moves.. There are videos on the stronglifts website and you should just ask people that are in the weight room if they can show you how its done and everything... AND stronglifts is free! You can try it for 12 weeks and decide if you want to continue it.

Hallelujah
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    ^ complexes are more for cardio than strength, though. or as startes or finishers before a strength training program. since you are doing the movements quickly and using the same weights for all exercises (picking the most comfortable weightfor your weakest move), it's difficult to do it for strength building.

here's another t-nation article with 4 good complexes: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/screw_cardio_four_complexes_for_a_shredded_physique

i usually do either the tumminello with a 25# weight plate or cosgrove complex with a 50 # as a warm up.

I'm going to have to try this! Thanks for the link.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

I've been seriously contemplating switching myself.

OP, lots of good advice here.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

Hallelujah

Amen