Has Anyone Here Quit Smoking?

Options
2»

Replies

• Angelle
    Options
    I quit smoking 2 1/2 months ago and that is why I thought I would join. I have gained a few pounds that I can't seem to shack even though I've pretty much cut al my carbs out. I have just joined the gym since I thought i could losse wheight just by cutting out foods but I guess Im not as young as I used to be?
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I quit a few years ago. Honestly for me I just got sick of how this nasty, stinky habit was controlling me rather than me having control of myself. I don't let people control me the way I seemed to be controlled by the cig. So, I personally decided that I wasn't going to have some little pencil thin, harmful thing get the best of me anymore. I put myself in control and then I quit. But also to be perfectly honest, even though it has been 7 years I still find momemts when I think "a smoke sure would be good right now" - then I go jog!
  • ahertel0214
    ahertel0214 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I just did! It only been 11 days - but hey it's a start right?!

I can't say that I have any great advice though. I quit once before back in 2002 when I became pregnant with my daughter. That time it was easy - the day I found out I was expecting the nurse said to me "Just imagine you're putting your baby in a balloon filled with cigarette smoke." That was enough of a visual to make me stop that very day.

I didn't start smoking again until my daughter was about 2 years old. Why? I have no idea - there is never a good reason.

This time I just decided to stop on my own. For me, and of course for Juliet who is now 4 1/2 years old. Also, I recently joined a gym and have been "re-vamping" my lifestlye in reference to eating and working out. Just doesn't make sense to spend even MORE money on something that is so counter productive to what I'm trying to accomplish.

Good luck on your journey - you WILL do it!
  • angelicangels
    Options
    hello there; i was a 3 pack a day smoker for 21 years. i quit 10 years ago on 6-26-1997. i used the nicoderm patches. we had just lost a family friend to cancer in 1986. i was constantly in the hospital e.r room with pnemonia. the last trip they told me if i wanted to see my kids grow up i needed to quit now! they said i was getting emphsemia. at the same time my son was studding lung cancer in school and i had a hard time getting him to go to school as he was afraid i would die of lung cancer.i never smoked in my house or car. so, for my kids and husband i quit. i can remember sitting there listening to the training tape that comes with the patches laughing as i was smoking. it wasnt so funny the next day when the patch was on my back and i no longer had my ciggaretts.it was hard as i quit for my family , but still wanted them! i will be honest the third week was the worst! to this day ciggarett smoke still smells good to me but there is no way i would ever smoke again! i gained 100lbs after i quit and keep telling my doctor i would be skinny if i was still a smoker. he says, no- you would be dead! and i'm only 47 years old! in 2002 i got pnemonia from one of my day care kids and lost 35% of my lungs. i have asthma and copd now. i wish i had listened to the docs warnings sooner. now i'm working on my weight. find something to do and stay away from places and things that you used to smoke.we smoke by habbit and association so remove yourself from things that remind you of them.hang in there as you can do it! angelicangels
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    This is a very old thread....but those of us who have problems with food often have other uncontrolled behaviors.

There is a lot of wisdom in these posts about smoking that can be applied to "emotional eating".

cm
  • babiecuddles
    babiecuddles Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 15 years and I tried several times to quit but never could win that battle, while I was pregnant I cut down to around ½ a pack a day. But soon after birth I was back up to 2 packs a day even though I tried to not do it in close proximity to the kids. In February 2005 my pastor and close friend came to the house and talk to my husband and myself about it and we prayed and ask our church family to pray for us, my husband quite in march 2005 but I was more stubborn than that. BUT I made rules for myself that made it very hard to actually smoke and I stuck to them. Such as do not smoke around the kids or my husband so I got down to maybe 5 or 6 a day. Then started asking my husband each night to pray with me. And in July of 2005 I came to a time were if I followed all my rules I was to busy to smoke I would only be able to have on in the morning, one after work and one before bed, for a week because we were holding Vacation Bible School and I was working in it. and the following week I would be going to my moms and she doesn’t let us smoke in her house. So that was when I said “that’s it” , I told everyone to pray extra for me and I made it and it has been 2 years and 4 months. Yea ME!!! But the biggest Yea is “YEA GOD”
  • Furpaws
    Options
    First of all, if you're serious and sincere about wanting this (quitting smoking) you can do it. So start by convincing yourself that quitting is something you REALLY want and need.

I smoked at least 2 packs a day for 24 years. I finally quit, after several unsuccessful attempts, 15 years ago. I believe my failed attempts were mainly because I was kidding myself and/or making excuses NOT to quit. I told myself that if I quit I would get fat, or that if smoking didn't kill me something else would. I tried cold-turkey. Then I tried the tapes (hypnotism), the gum and the patch. Then I tried cold-turkey again and beat it. I just made up my mind that I was bigger and stronger than my addiction to nicotine. I knew I had to find something to do that would reinforce the benefits of not smoking. So I got stronger - physically. I joined the fitness club at work and worked out on my lunch hours. Daily walks turned into running. As my fitness improved, I knew that picking up a cigarette would reverse all that I worked for. If I craved a smoke, I reminded myself how difficult the first couple of weeks were and that I did not want to go through that again. Every week got easier. Weeks turned into months. I didn't gain the weight like I thought I would. I felt stronger, slept better, smelled cleaner, skin looked brighter.

If you really want it, you will do it.