Been going on for a month now.

Options
Today been exactly one month since I started dieting and working out yet I see no results! And its frustrating!

I only see I'm getting toner and a bit more muscles but I'm not thinner or losing fats.

I'll open my diary so people can check whatever I'm doing wrong.
But some people told me to eat more protein which I'm gonna try hard to do that, but anything else aside from that I should work on?

I set MFP to lose a pound a week too, so if I been doing right for a month I shouldve lost 4-5 pounds now but I see nothing.

Also I can only eat healthy or home cook meals 75-80% of the time, since I still live with my dad who loves fast food, and I cant afford healthy foods all the time.

Any suggestions or tips to help me what I'm doing wrong will be appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• pilot1960
    pilot1960 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Had a look at your diary. You say you are exercising and muscle weighs more than fat so, you may be losing body fat but you are replacing it with toned muscle. That doesn't mean you have to stop exercise but it will mean yo have to be more patient if you want to see the pounds come off. I see you are eating mostly in large chunks instead of spreading your calories through the day. Perhaps you don't like breakfast, but it is a good starter to the day. The food you are eating is Ok but just watch those calories and fat. Hope this helps.
  • deeksha_s
    deeksha_s Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I think its great that you are losing inches instead of kgs. We all mostly exercise to look better, unless you are very very overweight, how does it matter?
  • rz0mbie
    Options
    Looking at your diary. I think part of the problem is that you need try to eat more frequently and less amount through out the day. If its possible try to cut out more of your carbs. I had the same problem at first, but if you can incorporate more protein it is slower to break down for energy. Cottage cheese, greek yogurt, string cheese, etc.. When you eat out go for anything grilled.

As far as exercising don't give up! I feel your pain. I have been losing weight up until the past 3 months when I changed how I work out. I too have toned more, but have not dropped any weight. Just keep working at it and don't fret so much over your weight itself. It all takes time!
  • xFitnessFlirt
    Options
    Looking at your diary. I think part of the problem is that you need try to eat more frequently and less amount through out the day. If its possible try to cut out more of your carbs. I had the same problem at first, but if you can incorporate more protein it is slower to break down for energy. Cottage cheese, greek yogurt, string cheese, etc.. When you eat out go for anything grilled.

As far as exercising don't give up! I feel your pain. I have been losing weight up until the past 3 months when I changed how I work out. I too have toned more, but have not dropped any weight. Just keep working at it and don't fret so much over your weight itself. It all takes time!

thanks a lot! I guess it'll just take me more time, it sucks but at least if im getting muscle then I'm doing something right
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

thanks a lot! I guess it'll just take me more time, it sucks but at least if im getting muscle then I'm doing something right
    You are not gaining muscle while being in a deficit. It took you years possibly decades to get to your current situation, you're not going to do a 180 in a matter of a few weeks.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

She is consuming 1500 calories. Why should she "cut out more carbs". If anything, she could be possibly under eating. Of course that is dependent on her activity level.
  • ksizzle911
    ksizzle911 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Just remember that losing inches is as important as losing the weight. I would highly recommend measuring yourself once a month too so you can better track your results. Losing 5+ inches in a month with no weight loss is still a victory in my book!
  • nylphia
    Options
    Are you sure your logging EVERYTHING!!!! :-). It looks like each day your are consuming less calories than recommended as well as not spreading it out. Its true about the starvation mode thing. Try to eat the full calorie count and have breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner and another snack if required. I know how you feel and its why I have given up so often on diets. I feel like I'm doing the right thing with no results. Hold on and just modify a bit. Your log does not look as if you take time for breakfast., Try even a hard boiled egg and a slice of bread or bread with a tablespoon of peanut butter and a teaspoon of jam :-) to get it down. LOL. Eating withing 30 minutes of waking up tells the body to start it metabolism and burning. Slow metabolism, slow burn. A quick bite in the morning will jump start that for you.

Good Luck and don't give up. My cuz went from a 14 to a 4 in 6 months just by following the plan. You can do it as well. I agree with everyone as well as it pertains to muscle. Seems like you are building muscle which is great, that muscle will soon help you to burn the fat and you will see the weight go and feel your close getting looser even though the scale is not moving much. Stay motivated.

*****Oh, increase your water as well. I did not see much water logging!
  • ruckerbenton
    Options
    Toning is an excellent outcome of exercise. I find when I hit a plateau that I have to shave some calories. Instead of 1500, drop to 1200 or 1300. Also, I don't think large meals or small meals makes a difference for me unless I'm real hungry. Finally, make sure that you are sleeping well and that your bowel habits are regular. These are much overlooked areas of healthy living that can make a difference to our weight loss progress. Best wishes!
  • SquishyVicki
    SquishyVicki Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Just remember that losing inches is as important as losing the weight. I would highly recommend measuring yourself once a month too so you can better track your results. Losing 5+ inches in a month with no weight loss is still a victory in my book!

Completely agree with this post.

Weight (and scales) can be fickle and mis-representative of all your hard work as it sounds like you're getting more toned therefore you could be loosing inches rather than lbs. Therefore I would recommend measuring all your key areas (waist, hips, bust, thighs, arms) and to track that as well so you do not get too disheartened if the scales are not on your side!

Good luck!
  • xFitnessFlirt
    Options

Completely agree with this post.

Weight (and scales) can be fickle and mis-representative of all your hard work as it sounds like you're getting more toned therefore you could be loosing inches rather than lbs. Therefore I would recommend measuring all your key areas (waist, hips, bust, thighs, arms) and to track that as well so you do not get too disheartened if the scales are not on your side!

Good luck!

but i dont want to lose inches and still be overweight, i need to drop some fat pounds too
  • dancerom
    dancerom Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    but i dont want to lose inches and still be overweight, i need to drop some fat pounds too
    [/quote]

If you're really doing right and losing inches, this is what happens:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/825997-this-is-why-scales-lie-progress-pics

Fat pounds will go, muscle pounds will come... so why care about the number on the scale?!
  • rz0mbie
    Options

She is consuming 1500 calories. Why should she "cut out more carbs". If anything, she could be possibly under eating. Of course that is dependent on her activity level.

Carbs are great and I'm not saying she should not eat them. Just not eat as many. Things that have a higher protein content also break down into energy and take longer to break down which also helps with feeling fuller longer. Also eating a more balance meal when possible of vegetables and fruits and meat vs just meat and all carbs.
  • xFitnessFlirt
    Options

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/825997-this-is-why-scales-lie-progress-pics

Fat pounds will go, muscle pounds will come... so why care about the number on the scale?!
    [/quote]

i dont even have a scale so i cant go by a number on a scale i dont care about the number on the scale. If I'm only losing inches I dont feel or look thinner when I see myself in the mirror nor do my clothes fit better. I just feel the same but more toned.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Toning is an excellent outcome of exercise. I find when I hit a plateau that I have to shave some calories. Instead of 1500, drop to 1200 or 1300. Also, I don't think large meals or small meals makes a difference for me unless I'm real hungry. Finally, make sure that you are sleeping well and that your bowel habits are regular. These are much overlooked areas of healthy living that can make a difference to our weight loss progress. Best wishes!

Do NOT go any lower you are already too low for your age, you need to eat more. You are not at 1,500 net that is where you need to be and eat far more protein.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options

oh really?
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options

oh really?

I know these people telling this girl she needs to eat less are crazy.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Don't rely on the scale. Do measurements. That's how you can track progress. Who cares if the scale doesn't go down if you are losing inches! The scale fluctuates as it is with water retention and muscle gain. Do measurements and also re-calculate your TDEE and figure out how much you really should be eating. That might help as well.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options

i dont even have a scale so i cant go by a number on a scale i dont care about the number on the scale. If I'm only losing inches I dont feel or look thinner when I see myself in the mirror nor do my clothes fit better. I just feel the same but more toned.
    [/quote]

If you don't have a scale how do you know you haven't lost any weight? Confused... Your diary looks inconsistent. Are you logging EVERYTHING you eat and drink?
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Bump