Sit ups..?

Options
Is there a maximum number of sit ups that is recommended?

I do 60 a day split into 2 lots of 30.

Is it beneficial to do more? Am I doing too many?

I weight lift (not heavy, just for toning), do 20 minutes on my cross trainer and walk at least 2 miles a day.

I'm 45 and trying to lose my mummy tummy that I've had 20 years.

Replies

• dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    You can do as many as you want to do, but I've noticed with ab work; Quality is better than quantity. Try doing them to a count of 10, pausing with every count, and see if your abs feel it more.

All weight lifting is "toning". Don't be afraid to go heavy with mostly compound lifts. You will see much better results. You won't bulk up unless you are eating more calories than you consume, Bulking is even hard for most men to do, and they have more testosterone than women.

Getting rid of your tummy, will mostly be due to keeping your calories in check. You can do it without any exercise. Exercise will tone your muscles to transform your body shape, and give you a more fit look, as you lose body fat.
  • SoopraBint
    Options
    I don't want to bulk up too much. Unfortunately my husband has made it perfectly clear that women with muscles are not attractive.

I also have a hip replacement and have had a frozen shoulder so I'm taking things easy.

I will try your suggesting with the sit ups, thank you.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    You won't "bulk up" as long as you're eating at a calorie deficit. Since you're trying to lose weight, I assume you're eating at a calorie deficit. Women with large muscles don't get that way overnight, they spend a lot of time and effort getting there, and eat a surplus of calories. Also, having very defined muscles is a result of having very low body fat, which also won't happen accidentally overnight. If you find that you get too lean, it won't be too difficult to gain a little fat back.

As far as losing your tummy - you can't spot reduce fat, so sit ups won't help there. They will just work the muscles of your abdomen. Getting those muscles stronger might help you to "suck it in" a bit better (ie have a better posture) but won't specifically make that fat go away. You just have to have a calorie deficit with your diet (+ exercise) and hope that the fat eventually comes off where you want it to. If you are interested in strengthening your core muscles, sit-ups probably aren't the most effective way of doing that. Look into different variations of planks, as well as compound lifts with weights (again, don't be scared they will bulk you up!). But, for reducing the diet, just keep going with the diet and be patient. If you have 7kg to lose (per your profile), chances are that some of that is going to come off from your tummy.
  • butterflygurl89
    Options
    I think dave was just pointing out that you dont have to Worry about bulking up, because it would require the actual intention to do so. So no worries about getting all muscular. :)
    I like his suggestion about improving quality. Once you've perfected that and are still doing 30 each time, maybe try slowly increasing the number. Pushing yourself will always get more results, you don't want it to get easy. Like maybe add 5 reps each time once a week? So you're doing 60 this week, 70 next week, etc? Best of luck! I really need to get more diligent about my daily crunches.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I do either 4 x 100 on a gym ball or 4 x 50 bent knee sit ups on the floor to maintain strong abs and core. (I've got severe disc issues in my spine and strong core makes a massive difference.)

Try adding in some twists or holding a dumbbell under your chin to increase difficulty.

Leg lifts change the focus of the exercise as well. Captains chair or on the floor.
  • butterflygurl89
    Options
    Oh and I've heard that cardio is really the best thing for things like belly fat. Things like running will shave off the top layers of fat while sit-ups build up the muscles underneath the fat. Of course muscle helps burn fat, too, but yeah. I vote for cardio! Haha.:wink:
  • Ph4lanx
    Ph4lanx Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Nothing does spot-targetting for fat. You just lose it however the body deems you will. You can only spot-target muscle tone, not fat loss I'm afraid. Short of lyposuction, of course! ;)
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    With abs I like quality with quantity.
    I do as many as I can every other day and alternate sit-ups with leg hang knee raises - again, as many as I can do.
    Personally, I don't like that bodybuilder ab bloat look.
    I see too many guys cranking out ab work with added weight or whatever, and these guys have 6-packs but a distension in the belly.
    No thanks...:noway:
    I integrate an overall approach to resistance coupled with cardio and food intake that will help me reach my own best.
    To each his own....
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    planks are better than sit ups IMO, but you can do both

a caloric deficit and time will get rid of your mummy tummy

without a caloric deficit, 1000 sit ups a day will only give you a sore back
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I don't want to bulk up too much. Unfortunately my husband has made it perfectly clear that women with muscles are not attractive.

I also have a hip replacement and have had a frozen shoulder so I'm taking things easy.

I will try your suggesting with the sit ups, thank you.

women don't "bulk up" without lots of food and drugs.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    planks are better than sit ups IMO, but you can do both

a caloric deficit and time will get rid of your mummy tummy

without a caloric deficit, 1000 sit ups a day will only give you a sore back

agreed