Elliptical vs Cross trainers?

Options
I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to exercise but i have been trying with dvd's and such and pleased with my progress so far, but I want to do that bit more (without having to go to an actual gym with actual people who may actually see me lol)... So i've been thinking about spending my Christmas gift money on home trainer of some sort, people seem to highly rate elliptical and cross trainers...

My question is... What's the difference? :blushing: Are they just another name for the same thing?

What is your opinion of them? Is it worth buying an all singing all dancing one or go for a budget one?

Also - can anyone recommend a good one? (I'm from the UK)

Replies

• pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    As far as I know they are the same.
  • flipertyflip
    flipertyflip Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello, i can't help with advice on equipment but well done. Do you run at all ? If not it's one of the cheapest and best ways to shed calories and get fitter. At the moment there are loads of Run England beginers groups about but if thats not for you (they are very good) you could just map out a mile loop (use mapmyrun or similar) and start run walking.
    Good luck and well don so far.
  • evdenapoli
    evdenapoli Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    To be honest I don't know the difference of the 2..but I bought myself an Elliptical las year and I love it!! It's a total body work out and I burn the most calories with it.. My only advice, the Elliptical's that tell you your calories burned are in accurate. I suggest depending on your heart rate monitor for accurate data. Hope that helps.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    There is no either or...do BOTH!
    Alternate your training routine with all sorts of different methods rooted in what you enjoy doing.
    They key is to just get moving and stay the course long term.
    For me that means doing different things, because I get bored with the same old same ole...:noway:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    They are the same thing really. I've got one at home (made by York Fitness) but it doesn't get used much, only when I have limited time or can't get to the gym. Home ones just aren't as robust or smooth in operation as the ones in a gym.
    They take up quite a bit of space and once they get put away you are unlikely to use them.
    If you do get one make sure it has a flywheel or the action is likely to be very jerky. Definitely try before you buy.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    if i were you, i would spend the money on some cold weather gear to run outdoors. then i would take the remainder and buy some kettle bells to use in the house.
  • NataBee
    NataBee Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, to answer a few questions

@flipertyflip & Captain_Apoll - No I don't run or exercise outdoors - I live in Wales where it rains and is cold all the damn time lol! I hate the cold and that's why i'm a couch potato, by having indoor stuff i have NO excuse for the size of my thighs :tongue:

@sijomial - Storage doesn't bother me too much, I have a unused room it can be kept out of sight while still in use :) I don't have a gym anywhere local and as i don't drive & work long hours a gym isn't suited to me. Will make a note of a flywheel though, thanks!

@evdenapoli - Good advice, always wondered why my HRM says different to what the monitor says... Couldn't decide which one to go by.
  • bexx03
    bexx03 Posts: 32
    Options
    they are the same thing :)
  • flipertyflip
    flipertyflip Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I should have said , eliptical and any other excercise are fine , anything that burns the calories and helps is. I live in Durham where it's just as cold but run regularly (never inside though) but i also gym , swim and cycle. I get where your coming from though and the main thing is you clearly have he desire and determination to achieve your goals. Mind , where the spring hits with the milder conditions maybe give that walking or running a pop. :-)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

@flipertyflip & Captain_Apoll - No I don't run or exercise outdoors - I live in Wales where it rains and is cold all the damn time lol! I hate the cold and that's why i'm a couch potato, by having indoor stuff i have NO excuse for the size of my thighs :tongue:

if you buy warm clothing and some rain running gear, you'll have no excuse not to run outside.

and working out in the cold burns calories.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If you want to buy an elliptical don't go cheap. You need to spend some money to get one that will be stable and not wobble around. It needs to have a large flywheel and have no side to side movement. The cheap ones have too much play in them and will cause hip problems if you use it a lot.
  • jeremy200113
    Options
    Hi Having new elliptical trainer at home is a very practical and effective way to lose weight and to stay healthy. But make sure to check the weight limit first and the features it has. The trainer we have at home is a Sole E55 Elliptical Trainer. And I think it was a very good choice. It's a bit pricey but worth it.

You can check amazon for more choices or you can check this site as well:
    http://www.squidoo.com/best-elliptical-trainers-home