it's 9pm and my friend has had 311 calories

Options
she is proud of this and thinks her stomach rumbling means success

anyone want to weigh in on why she's retarded ??

i should mention she has taken courses on nutrition. arg - i surround myself with fools!

Replies

• marshakay77
    Options
    give her a box of little debbies and make her eat the whole thing.....lol. but really...she needs to eat.
  • kellykat
    kellykat Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    So much for sustainable weight loss. Eating like that screams rebound!
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Eating like that screams Anorexia!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    You should totally bring her a triple cheeseburger and make her eat it, lol. Seriously though, get that girl to Subway & make her get a footlong. It will at least get 800 cals into her and be remotely healthy.
  • jenners22
    jenners22 Posts: 91
    Options
    that is soooooo bad
  • angelface12004
    Options
    omg what a fool, no disrespect but eating less doe snot make you lose weight, it may in the short term but the moment she starts eating she is going to gain it right back or/and go into starvation mode and not lose anything. Some days i don't eat my 1200 but i come close and am full, my belly does not growl, if it's hungry it eats. I want to lose weight to keep it off and do it the right way. Tell your friend she NEEDS to eat, or she will end up in the hospital. :frown:
  • Catzwitch
    Catzwitch Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I know this is a serious topic, but I just snickered out loud:
    doe snot

I make thousands of typos so I'm not calling it out or anything, I just found it funny.

OK, back to serious-ness: What she's doing shows the beginning stages of anorexia....
  • cymills
    cymills Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I say if you truly were her friend you woud MYOB! Perhaps tomorrow she has a plan for "something" which will add additional calories. Again if you were her (true ) friend- back off and let things progress - or not - as they may.
    BTW - I often have 200- 300 calories left on some day - I am not BAD!!!
    I also do not see a post from "her"....so ...lighten up folks and MYOB.!!!
  • Onederland
    Options
    If she is your friend, then perhaps its time to have a good ol' fashioned heart to heart with her. She may or may not listen and she may not like what she is hearing, but ya know, it's not that she is 'retarded'...she may just not realize what damage she is doing. Perhaps talking to her and airing your concerns with HER may help her to see this.

Hell, years ago I thought the key to losing weight was to restrict my calories down to nothing....so I too was a 'fool'...but I too learned by my mistake as I am sure your friend will with supportive suggestions on how she can increase her calorie intake while still lose or maintain her weight.
  • jdcole67
    jdcole67 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I say if you truly were her friend you woud MYOB! Perhaps tomorrow she has a plan for "something" which will add additional calories. Again if you were her (true ) friend- back off and let things progress - or not - as they may.

You missed the point - she has only EATEN 311 calories for the day...not what she has left...
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    What Catzwitch said. Doe snot. Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Also, your friend needs to stop starving herself.
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    she is proud of this and thinks her stomach rumbling means success

i should mention she has taken courses on nutrition. arg - i surround myself with fools!

311 calories all day? She is starving herself and the end result will be FAT stores. It will make her skinny (anorexic) at first, but our bodies natural defense mechanism is kicking in and will begin to store fat very quickly. That is NOT smart to only eat that much in a whole day. That is what I eat for breakfast alone!

I wonder what kind of nutrition courses she has taken and where??? I want to avoid that one! Our bodies need fuel (food) to function. She is destroying her metabolism by eating only 300 calories and when she starts to eat "normally" again, guess what's going to happen? She will gain weight first because she has slowed her metabolism WAY down...probably to a screeching halt by now. This is NOT healthy at all.

I have been in her shoes. Was so afraid of getting "fat" so I would starve myself. I ended up in the hospital because my body pretty much shut down on me. I also was severely dehydrated. She needs to eat before she ends up like I did, or maybe even worse.

Sounds like you need to have an intervention ASAP. If she won't listen, and she probably won't, she will have to find out the hard way, unfortunately. No one can make her eat. Sounds like she has some underlying issues that maybe only a counselor will be able to help with. Just my opinion.

Good luck getting through to her!
  • heatherfeather18
    Options
    Starving yourself will not help you lose weight! Your metabolism will slow down and your body will cling onto the calories it has. Then once you start eating normal again, you will gain weight faster because your metabolism will be so slow and your body will cling onto every calorie and store it as fat. It's way better to eat healthy nutritious food and at least 1300 calories a day. You can lose weight and still eat food this is not healthy!!
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Options

I started to reply to this but then realized it doesn't deserve a response...LOL!
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options

Somebody who eats that few calories is not retarded, however there are a few other names that apply.
    1. Ignorant: they have never heard that you must eat to survive
    2. Delusional: I agree, people need to eat, but not me. This goes hand in hand with another phrase: I won't develop an eating disorder.
    3. Anorexic: I think a pencil is very healthy!!!
    4. Suicidal: As she continues this lifestyle, her organs will begin shutting down to conserve energy.
  • squeech
    squeech Posts: 1
    Options
    WOW, thats not many calories. . . but **** who am I to be talking? I really appreciate all the advice on this column I've only had 800 calories today!!! im gonna go eat!!! thanks for the advice!!! btw i have 1,350 cals left thats why my 800 is a problem
  • TalonaCat
    TalonaCat Posts: 241
    Options
    That's... bad.

Is she thin now? Does she think that starving herself will make her thin?

You and your friend need to have a heart to heart, for sure.
  • KristiChilds
    KristiChilds Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    if she has had nutrition classes, she should know that her metabolism will go into starvation mode and slow waaaay down. it will be harder for her to lose weight and her metabolism will be slow when she does eat normally. she'll just condition her body to cling to fat as much as possible.
  • dreamsdaily
    dreamsdaily Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I recently read that anything less than 900 cal in a day will put your body into "starvation mode." Meaning that your metabolism slows to a crawl and your body will store any calories it doesn't have to use as fat. Weight loss in the beginning is a given, but if you go back to eating normal amounts of food your metabolism wont keep up & you gain weight rapidly. Just like every diet I have ever tried! Sometimes when you get really busy or stressed you forget to eat?? maybe your friend has a better plan & just got distracted?? Good luck
  • Onederland
    Options
    Ya know...regardless of what this girl is doing with her calories....the bigger picture here, the one that I am seeing, is the total disrespect that YOU have for your "friend'
    To call anyone a retard or a fool, especially one that you consider to be your friend is just wrong! :angry:

moving on.......