beachbody products

Options
has anyone tried shakeology or the recover formula made from beachbody?if so, or if not, what different meal replacement/protein powder/skakes or recovery drinks would you recommend?

Replies

• TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking their chocolate shakeology. Starting next month I'll be ordering some strawberry shakeology too. I either drink it for breakfast with 2 cups water, 1 cup blueberries and a banana or as a snack...minus the banana.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    No, they are too expensive.

I buy vanilla whey protein (like Optimum Nutrition the best) from Amazon or The Vitamin Shoppe (best prices IMO) and blend in frozen berries and a healthy fat (flax seeds or flax seed oil) for meal replacement or post workout drink.
    For cardio days, like my current project, Insanity, I do 1 cup of 1% milk and 1 serving of chocolate syrup.
    Both are significantly less than the BB products.

Their workouts are great and I'll pay for those (I own TurboFire, Chalean Extreme and Insanity) but never their over priced supplements.
  • bananapancakebella
    Options
    I had some chocolate shakeology. i gave it to a friend. seriously, the texture is like snot. i couldn't stand it. gave it to a friend, she threw it out. waste of money.
  • jaimelynn01
    Options
    thanks for the info! im glad now i didnt just order it cuz it is awfully pricey and if its like the texture of snot...i dont think i could finish it either.
    ill try some other whey protein shakes then.

thanks ladies!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Overpriced shake. You can do better without having to "ADD" stuff to make it taste better.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • krainbird
    krainbird Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I use it and have been for 6 months. Love it! The Chocolate was nasty and they made some changes.
  • meghannrenee
    meghannrenee Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I've been using it since Sept - just the vegan ones though, so I can't speak to the taste/texture of the regular chocolate or the greenberry. They did just revamp the reg chocolate and supposedly fixed most of the issues.

I like the vegan one - I can throw a scoop in water and have it like that, or blend it with fruit/ice/soy milk and maybe some peanut butter if I'm having it as a meal.

It's all personal preference. If you're not sure try to get a sample of a couple different brands and try them out for yourself to see what works for you. Better than dropping any amount of money on a giant tub of something you might not like. Just my $0.02.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    it's an overpriced meal replacement.

before any beachbody "coaches" start talking about all of the great ingredients, please keep in mind it is a proprietary blend. so it has trace amounts of the "healthy" ingredients, just so they can put it on the label.

you are much better off eating real foods or taking whey protein w/ a multivitamin.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I learned that it's not good for infants and toddlers.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Results & Recovery formula from Beachbody is basically a blend of whey protein (a fast-digesting dairy derived protein) and waxy maize (a sugary carbohydrate sourced from corn meant to help replenish glycogen supplies when taken after workout), two supplements available separately from your local GNC and you would save a LOT of money by buying ones from more reputable supplement brands such as Optimum Nutrition. Buy them separately and mix them. In fact, Optimum Nutrition sells a similar pre-mix product that sources its carbohydrates from oats rather than corn which is significantly better. An even better alternative is to have an actual meal after your workout consisting of fruit, oats, or brown rice as a healthy carbohydrate source, and a protein source such as meat.

Shakeology, don't even get me started.... Such a scam.

EDIT: For the price of a one month supply of R&R Formula, you could get a tub of whey protein that will last you approximately 2 1/2 months. The Waxy Maize is even cheaper.
  • jaimelynn01
    Options
    wow! thank you everyone for all your responses. it gives me a lot to think about. i like the idea of a meal replacement/protein shake because i am mostly vegan and need protein alternatives. I think my next step is to go to GNC. I have heard alot about the optimum nutrition products and I would like to learn more!

thanks!
  • chickentunashake
    chickentunashake Posts: 165 Member
    Options

I buy vanilla whey protein (like Optimum Nutrition the best) from Amazon or The Vitamin Shoppe (best prices IMO) and blend in frozen berries and a healthy fat (flax seeds or flax seed oil) for meal replacement or post workout drink.
    For cardio days, like my current project, Insanity, I do 1 cup of 1% milk and 1 serving of chocolate syrup.
    Both are significantly less than the BB products.

Their workouts are great and I'll pay for those (I own TurboFire, Chalean Extreme and Insanity) but never their over priced supplements.

^^^^ agree with this. THat is what I do, is cheaper and has much less carbs. I will even drink whey protein just with water if my workout was not as intense, to keep cals and carbs down. I will ad stuff if I worked out twice or if I completely exhausted myself
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    it's an overpriced meal replacement.

before any beachbody "coaches" start talking about all of the great ingredients, please keep in mind it is a proprietary blend. so it has trace amounts of the "healthy" ingredients, just so they can put it on the label.

you are much better off eating real foods or taking whey protein w/ a multivitamin.

Ditto. I eat my vitamins, minerals, protein, etc. Healthy foods can't be beat. I do use this product: http://www.naturesplus.com/products/pdf/4594.pdf as a protein supplement. It is vegetarian, not sure vegan, but you can read the label to see. Good luck to you!
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Overpriced shake. You can do better without having to "ADD" stuff to make it taste better.
    ^^^^
    THIS
    But...you get a huge discount if you get in the pyramid and get others under you.
    That's how multi-level marketing works. Some do very well with this...COUNT ME OUT!
  • uyent
    uyent Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Try it yourself and see. They have a 30 day money back guarantee as do most of their products so you can try it and if you don't like it, return it less shipping. I use Chocolate Shakeology. I love it but as with everything it's an acquired taste. It is a bit expensive but the research that has gone into the product is quite extensive. But I'm sure you will find something that works for you!
  • SLRamirez2012
    Options
    I know some people swear by them. I think they are too expensive (the supplements) I own 10 minute trainer, but that is all. I have been hearing more and more that they taste awful. A good protein powder made into a shake and some vitamins is just as good, and alot cheaper.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Keep your money.Eat right = Win
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    According to studies (and I can dig them up if someone really wants), the most effective recovery drink is lowfat chocolate milk. That's right. Chocolate milk, which you can get at the store for 3 bucks. But that information wouldn't line a fitness company's pockets with dollars, would it?
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options

I haven't found anyone yet that is cheaper than bodybuilding.com for protein and carb supplements. They have a user rating system for taste that helps avoid some of the less delicious flavors and brands.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    According to studies (and I can dig them up if someone really wants), the most effective recovery drink is lowfat chocolate milk. That's right. Chocolate milk, which you can get at the store for 3 bucks. But that information wouldn't line a fitness company's pockets with dollars, would it?

I duno about the studies, but chocolate milk is great after workouts and I routinely drink it after training because it's cheap.

If you have the money, buy ON whey, and a good multivitamin. Shakeology is garbage