Went Vegan, Gained Weight

Options
Has anyone else experienced weight gain after going vegan?

I was 180 in 2010 when I began to slowly cut meat out of my diet...
I've been vegetarian for over a year and a half now, and vegan since May 2012 when I was a very healthy 120 - I have gained roughly 10-15 pounds since then.

This is surprising to me considering I eat a well-rounded and nutritious vegan diet that includes the proper vitamins, supplements, and vegan protein powder since I'm "athletic." No medications, birth control, smoking, drinking, etc. I try my best to keep my body as clean as possible.

I do vigorous hot yoga for a weekly total of approx. 6-8 hours, and intense cardio for a weekly total of approx. 4-6 hours.
I don't lift weights, since my yoga practice typically consists of a lot of self-contained weight training. I often decide to go for a walk, do some light rollerblading, or a Jillian Michaels DVD rather than sit around the house doing nothing - I'm almost always on the move.

What's even more surprising to me is that I didn't do nearly as much exercise as I do now when I was at my lowest (ideal) weight - nor did I eat anywhere near as clean as I do now. I was, however, extremely depressed and anxiety-ridden...

I know the scale can be deceiving, but it shows a big gain. I haven't broken out the tape measure, but I'm definitely feeling my clothes are more snug. It's extremely disappointing to see the number go up on the scale when I've totally committed myself to this lifestyle change...

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I should try to lose these stubborn pounds? Have any other vegans out there experienced the same problem? Please advise!

Replies

• Iammelting
    Iammelting Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Ive had the same experience. I lost almost 60 pounds then went gluten free and vegan about two years ago and I have struggled ever since. Im up and miserable. Im not eating alot of processed vegan foods but probably to many carbs ?? It makes no sense really it should be easier now.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    since it has been over a year..........

your weight gain is from a caloric surplus

just because you are eating a vegan diet, does not mean you will not over eat

are you counting calories?
  • sweatybettyboop
    sweatybettyboop Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is a vegan and struggles with her weight. She eats a lot of nuts. Nuts are high in calories although they are beneficial fat.

Calorie surplus. I would count calories, back to basics, weighing & measuring foods to see where you are at.

Overestimation of calories burned to eat. This is common to think more calories are burned.

If you have been working out more - - you may have built muscle, muscle is much more dense than fat so your clothes may still fit or even be loose but if there is less fat, same amount of space, you may weigh more. Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat...PET PEEVE phrase that drives me bonkers. A pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of gold.

Good luck figuring this out :smile:
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I went vegan in March and have lost 115 pounds. I have started to exercise, but I attribute most of the loss to my diet. I eat a ton of fresh fruits and veggies, some nuts and avocados.
  • deb3690
    deb3690 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have had similar experiences...although I think in my case I can say I have been going through a hormone roller coaster with changing thyroid supplement doses and I found that I was using MORE olive oil than I should...nuts are loaded with fat but also good protein source...I refuse to do protein powders....I think the demand for high protein levels is overblown in the general nutrition literature...Calcium levels too...if we weren;t eating as much protein, we would have lower intake needs for calcium to metablize with protein :) I think its all a question of keeping it in balance and being aware of what I AM eating :) yes counting calories is a great idea. The slice of wheat bread I ate with my veg and egg breakfast this morning had more calories than anything else I ate!!! but it also had a lot of fiber....so Im good with that today!:wink:
  • tmos512
    tmos512 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I had gone vegetarian and was concerned I wasn't getting everything I needed so I saw a nutrition therapist. She pointed out that I was essentially replacing my proteins at meals with carbs. To be a healthy vegetarian/vegan it would take a lot of time and coordination for me (not speaking for everyone) to get everything I needed, feel full and keep my calorie count low. Maybe you are experiencing some of the same. Hope it works out!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Calories in/ Calories out. You are eating too many calories; vegan or not. :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Its all about calories and not the type of diet you are eating. Second, i would recommend dropping some of the cardio and increasing heavy weight training. Also, open your diary so we can look at the foods you are eating.
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I do not agree that it is all about "calories in vs. calories out." I think that is a gross oversimplification of metabolism. Calories are important, but not everything. The types of foods you are eating is important when you are trying to lose weight.

Anyway, it sounds like you are eating good foods, so maybe a little more info would be helpful. What is your calorie intake overall? What are your protein sources - and are you getting enough? Are you drinking enough water? (The hot yoga really depletes).

I also would wonder if you have low thyroid or adrenal exhaustion. Perhaps a trip to the Doctor is in order?
  • AEFidgets
    Options
    It's a calorie surplus but without seeing your diary I wouldn't be able to say if it's eating or over estimating your calorie burn. I do however second seeing a Doctor to rule out any conditions that might contribute to your gain. If they rule out a medical cause then see a nutritionist that specializes in Vegan eating. Good luck to you
  • themutineer
    themutineer Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much to everyone for your input!

As much as I dislike counting calories - I'm all about Intuitive Eating - I have been doing so for the past couple of weeks without changing my eating habits at all and I'm coming in under my daily goal (1490) everyday.

I eat mostly raw fruits and veggies - whole and juiced - whole grains, beans, legumes, and limit nuts/fats. I've seen MDs, NMDs, and nutritionists to make sure my diet is optimal, though I could probably benefit from making a trip back since it has been a while.

The protein powder I use is Vega One - totally organic, vegan, and loaded with omegas, greens, probiotics, antioxidants, enzymes, vitamins, and minerals. It's really done wonders for my health, and is much more than the typical protein powders everyone's touting.

I'll try monitoring my caloric intake more closely and hitting the weights at the gym.
    I agree, it's all about burning more calories than you consume, no matter what that may consist of.

I might be treading the fine line between dedication and obsession, and I want to be sure I go about this in the healthiest way possible.

Definitely struggling with all the following side effects of major weight-loss:
    http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-4662/3-Surprising-Side-Effects-of-Major-Weight-Loss.html
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Some people gain weight when eating soy products. Try to eat only natural vegan foods and avoid foods like soy and corn based products.

I've never been vegan, but I was vegetarian for almost a year, and I felt terrible. Not everyone's body can handle that kind of strict eating routine.

Try to add in some cruelty free animal products such as dairy and eggs. Unless, of course you are vegan for religious reasons.

You may also try supplementing with coconut oil. Many vegans feel much better with some coconut oil in their diets.
  • skszo
    Options
    @therealparisl please do some research before you recomend something like "cruelty free animal products such as dairy and eggs". The dairy and egg industry is nothing but pure animal torture and eating these products not only contributes to the disgusting practices but causes as many health problems as any other animal product in your body. We've been lied to to make us believe that there is such have thing as healthy animal products. Check out some of these great lectures and resources for your health and for the animals.

Spend a few hours to become informed about what's really healthy for our bodies and why cruelty free animal products don't exist. At least if you choose to continue to eat them you'll know what you're choosing.
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Calories calories calories.
    Check out skinny b!tch or some fitness vegans. Personally jacked on the beanstalk for me as well as some instagrammers and Pinterest for ideas (hellooooooo rice protein vegan snickers bar!)

For me, once I found out Oreos are "vegan", it all goes downhill and so does my wallet :P
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    @therealparisl please do some research before you recomend something like "cruelty free animal products such as dairy and eggs". The dairy and egg industry is nothing but pure animal torture and eating these products not only contributes to the disgusting practices but causes as many health problems as any other animal product in your body. We've been lied to to make us believe that there is such have thing as healthy animal products. Check out some of these great lectures and resources for your health and for the animals.

Spend a few hours to become informed about what's really healthy for our bodies and why cruelty free animal products don't exist. At least if you choose to continue to eat them you'll know what you're choosing.

way to bring up a post that is almost two years old in order to lecture someone....strong first post
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Some people gain weight when eating soy products. Try to eat only natural vegan foods and avoid foods like soy and corn based products.

I've never been vegan, but I was vegetarian for almost a year, and I felt terrible. Not everyone's body can handle that kind of strict eating routine.

Try to add in some cruelty free animal products such as dairy and eggs. Unless, of course you are vegan for religious reasons.

You may also try supplementing with coconut oil. Many vegans feel much better with some coconut oil in their diets.

Soy is the devil.

Anyway, I am not surprised you gained weight. When I eat a vegan pasty I literally feel like I just ate a brick.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Heh
    Should they do some real youtube research like a certified internet scientist?
    Don't worry, meat, eggs and dairy aren't going anywhere soon because your assertions about their nutrition value are baseless.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    since it has been over a year..........

your weight gain is from a caloric surplus

just because you are eating a vegan diet, does not mean you will not over eat

are you counting calories?

This is what I was going to say. Being a vegan and eating "clean" has nothing to do with it - weight gain and loss depends almost solely on calories consumed vs. calories burned. You can eat a clean vegan diet and still eat more than your body burns every day, hence the weight gain.

It does sound odd that you're that active and still gaining (you'd have to be eating a LOT every day) - so you might want to check with a doctor to see that you don't have any medical conditions causing you to gain. Besides that, though, all you can really do is track your food/exercise and figure out how to make a change. Good luck!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    As much as I dislike counting calories - I'm all about Intuitive Eating - I have been doing so for the past couple of weeks without changing my eating habits at all and I'm coming in under my daily goal (1490) everyday.

Sorry, I replied before I saw this! Are you eating 1490, or NETTING 1490? Big difference. If you're only eating 1490 and exercising a lot on top of that, you could very well be netting under 1000 calories a day, which could affect your metabolism in a negative way.