This is what 24 pounds can look like.

Options
lacurandera1
lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
I see a lot of people on here who are stuck on the numbers on the scale- who only see the measure of their success by pounds. I can't say that I was any different. When I started this, i really just wanted to be able to say that I weighed 140 lbs. My goals have changed, and now I don't really care if I weigh 140 or 160. Now I'm after a body. And it feels kind of good to be free from that stupid scale, to eat what I want (within reason) and know that i'm doing good for my body and fueling it instead of trying to limit what I eat. I started living healthier to reach a number. And it didn't take me very long to realize I wanted more than that. It became a lifestyle and constantly morphing goals as I achieved more and more of them. It turned into wanting to change my body composition and not just a number.

I do a ton of HIIT, run and left heavy 2 or 3 times a week. Kickboxing and zumba are sprinkled throughout my week, too. The muffin top is gone, my legs are smoother (i.e. no cellulite, dimples, etc). My butt is starting to look like I HAVE one (I never knew flat *ss was a condition of being out of shape. I thought it was genetic. lol) And....my bf has started calling me "two-pack." :)

I wanted to post these to show people how big of a difference a small-ish loss can be when you're really focusing on the overall picture and not just how much you weigh. Some of the things I did to encourage myself when I stopped losing weight was taking measurements and pictures. PICTURES! Take them! When you look in the mirror it's hard to tell the differences between yesterday and 2 weeks ago. But side by side, after all is said and done, you will see the changes. I recorded my measurements when I started and am still kind of surprised. I didn't think I HAD 6 inches to lose in my waist. Or 4 on my hips. I had this self image of myself when I was still in high school and was kind of shocked when I had my bf take my first pics.

old_zpsf3fccb05.jpg

I never realized I looked like this.

R8P60DI_zpsc59fb665.jpg

And I never realized I COULD look like this.

I mean I'm the laziest person in the world. But I had a health scare that I thought was caused by my creeping weight and it really motivated me. Additionally, I had noticed feeling sick and nauseous after eating. I had GERD symptoms for over a year. Like my body was telling me something was getting out of hand. I had never felt sick after eating before and it was kind of worrisome. I started exercising and then it snowballed. It turned into something I couldn't control. I quit smoking 4 months ago and my addiction to nicotine transferred to running and exercise in general. I told a friend who said she was proud of all I did that "If exercise wasn't good for me, it would be really, really bad, because it is absolutely an addiction." :)

I guess what I'm getting at is, don't give up. Do this for you, and no one else. Once you get where you're going, stay there. or go beyond it. Don't ever go back. Make this a true and lasting change in your life.

Replies

• Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree more and can't wait to show what a 'measly' 40 lb loss looks like for me. I will be posting after my one year :)

Good for you for choosing to take that one step which turned in to a lifestyle. I'm glad to have you on my FL :smile:
  • emilypink573
    emilypink573 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! Sometimes i dont notice that just a few pounds makes a difference.
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    That's awesome congrats!! I'm not sure what I weigh. That sounds odd for being on here but I do know I am down 5 belt loops, yepp yepp :) More concerned with that than the scale. Keep it going!!
  • castell5
    castell5 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you
  • rejordan
    rejordan Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Now THAT was well said! As someone who has alot of weight to lose, I am so glad a to see a "smallish" (meaning smaller than me)person put it in perspective! Its not about the pounds! I was in class with a lady who looked twice as big as I did, but weighed 40-50 lbs less! Imagine my shock! Muscle looks different than flab folks! You look great shug!
  • lacurandera1
    Options
    but I do know I am down 5 belt loops, yepp yepp :)

I know! I bought a belt that barely fit a few months ago, around my waist, which is not where I wear my jeans. And now it fits on the second loop, around my hips. These NSVs are often overlooked and really shouldn't be. they make me feel better than any pound down ever did.
  • vharding7
    vharding7 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    So inspiring!!! I am still struggling with the scale "complex" but now that I have added heavy lifting and HIIT training hopefully I can break free of it like you did! Congrats! Awesome job!!
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    That's great! I didn't have to track everything or that the scale didn't matter but it does for me. Most importantly because if I am not under a certain weight, I can't give a kidney to a family member who may need it, which is why I started this journey. I would gain the weight back if I was not vigilant. AND I have always enjoyed exercising, but that alone with healthy choices did not make a difference because even though I love fruit and vegetables and exercise, I was still eating too many calories. I have to do this consciously and mathematically in order for it to work. I am very happy for you. Maybe some day I can stay on track without thinking about it!
  • lacurandera1
    Options
    Most importantly because if I am not under a certain weight, I can't give a kidney to a family member who may need it, which is why I started this journey.

This is a fantastic, super self-less reason for leading a more healthy lifestyle. How admirable. :)
  • lacurandera1
    Options
    So inspiring!!! I am still struggling with the scale "complex" but now that I have added heavy lifting and HIIT training hopefully I can break free of it like you did! Congrats! Awesome job!!

You'll be so tickled by your weights results. I promise. Not only does it make you feel like a bad*ss, it really is a body transformer. Good luck!
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! You have inspired me today. I love the before and after pics. Hopefully someday I will have the confidence to post some.
  • BrotherBill913
    Options
    but I do know I am down 5 belt loops, yepp yepp :)

I know! I bought a belt that barely fit a few months ago, around my waist, which is not where I wear my jeans. And now it fits on the second loop, around my hips. These NSVs are often overlooked and really shouldn't be. they make me feel better than any pound down ever did.
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

Oh...and you look GREAT!!!
  • BrotherBill913
    Options
    That is so cool :)
  • jeremyw1977
    jeremyw1977 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    What a difference! Great work getting to where you are.
  • lacurandera1
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! You have inspired me today. I love the before and after pics. Hopefully someday I will have the confidence to post some.

You will, if only because you're like "dam* i look good!" lol. bc trust me, I really don't want that first picture out there anywhere.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Wow.....washboard abs! You look marvelous!
  • lesita75
    lesita75 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your achievements and thank you for sharing. It truly is the pictures and measurements that make me go "damn, I looked like that?!?!"
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    for the most part, i agree with you. however, for women who are pushing numbers on the scale close to 300 pounds, it means the world to watch that number go down. once your down, to a "normal" range, then sure, i could see the non-care in regards to the number. im about to finally get under 200, and to be honest, i dont care if i get to 160 or 180, just being under 200 is so special for me because i was upwards of almost 250 last christmas. there is a point where the numbers become less important and toning and body comp becomes most important, but some have to shed alot of pounds of fat to even get down to a point to see a muscle. so i think, for the most part, you make perfect sense, but for women who have a number on the scale that is not only extremely dangerous but downright embarassing... its nice to see that number go down...
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I am hoping to be able to say "damn i look good" because I have never been able to say it. When i hit 243 last year, I said "enough" and once I had my son, i restarted my journey here on MFP. I can honestly say that originally I was aiming for 125, but i would much rather have a lean muscular look then anything and if that means weighing more then 125, so be it.

By the way, you look amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!