Business Idea--I need feedback (: PLEASE READ!

Options
Ok, so I had a business idea, and I just wanted to know what you guys thought about it before I pitch it and try to get it started. So my business would be making arm-warmers and chunky bracelets for people who are dealing with, recovering from, or are just struggling with self-harm. These products will be made out of recycled materials, and a portion of the proceeds will go to an organization correlated with self-harm help. Each will be distributed with a personalized encouraging message on a tag, and these can also be custom-made, although the majority will be just randomly made from the re-usable materials I have with me. They will be cute, comfy, will be diverse to fit all different styles, and the most important part: they will give people like me confidence to wear a short-sleeved shirt with arm warmers or bracelets, because they cover up scar tissue. I've struggled with self-harm for a while now, and I'm in recovery, so that's where the idea had spawn from. Any tips, comments, opinions, etc.? Just please be respectful (: thanks

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    Yeah it sounds good on paper.....why don't you make a couple and start an Epsy store, or list them on Ebay. I can't see any stores wanting to sell them, though. I think most stores would shy away from something perceived to be a mental illness....how would you market that?

Even though there are probably a lot of people who suffer from this, I think long sleeves work just fine, and a lot of people wouldn't want to draw any added attention whatsoever to their scars - which might happen with your products.
  • xXMollySarusXx
    Options
    Yes, I hadn't planned on selling them in the usual clothing stores, except for one local place that would be almost open to sell anything, AND people go there all the time. So I guess the idea of being able to sell everything from belt buckles to homemade knitted octopi to other things like elaborate beaded stripper bras (lol) might be the only small business that would be able to possible sell them. But the product itself will not mention anything about self-harm: other than the removable inside tag, no one would know that it is specifically for people effected by self-harm. Anyone could wear it, in fact. Although, if someone actually wants to hint the cause, they can specifically order the product, rather than buying a pre-made one with no indication of the reason to wear them.
    I had planned on particularly marketing to business that support this kind of stuff, such as "To Write Love on Her Arms" and a specific self-harm organization itself, but other than that I planned to sell on eBay or just open an e-store, also perhaps with a facebook page?
  • vnovit
    vnovit Posts: 101
    Options
    I absolutely love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:love:
  • xXMollySarusXx
    Options
    Thank you! :D
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    EDIT:
    I didn't read the last bit about TWLOHA.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I like the idea - I think it's a niche market, but you seem aware of that already.

Maybe you could speak to some local counselors/recovery centers about where/how to market the product. They could probably offer insight into what their clients are looking for.

I would ditch Ebay and go for Etsy. Etsy is geared more towards hand-made items. And the people shopping there generally have more of an open mind about what they are looking for/what they need.
  • verdancyhime
    verdancyhime Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I like it, but I'd like it even more if you could come up with some specifically designed to hide SI scars while looking appropriate for a corporate setting.
  • mcdebbie
    mcdebbie Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I like it and it could also be used for those that have tattoo's. my daughter got tattoos on her wrists but wanted to cover them for her wedding so she ended up with mutistrand beaded bracelets. Not the best look though... Are you thinking along the lines of tennis cuffs or more like complete arm warmers? Show us some designs!

Good luck to you!
  • peterdt
    peterdt Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    if you make some I can list them for you on ebay and amazon and amazon fba. I am setup for that and have a couple thousand items up on all those sales channels now. It sounds like something that could work, but like all products would need a proper presentation. That is my expertise.
  • Thegle
    Thegle Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I bought something very similar in a store a while back, but not identical so no issue for you. It was a very thin leather bracelet that wraps around your wrist and ties on with a small buckle. Very cute. It has a saying on it that speaks of love, courage, faith, and strength. The proceeds went to a local YES in our city. I love it and I show the saying to everyone when they want to see it. I went back to the store that sold them and the young people who made them stopped for some reason. I can't find them on Etsy or Ebay and of course I don't have the tag so don't remember the name. The other items I enjoy are fingerless full length arm warmers, now in my northern city, even with the heat on at work, the back of my hands always gets cold since I spend hours of my days at a computer.

So for me I would buy, I would share the reasons for the article (I know people don't talk about mental illness but it's about time people changed their views on this IMHO) and I would support anyone doing this for this reason. So keep going on your idea!!