Birthright trip to Israel! Any tips?

Options
victorianesque
victorianesque Posts: 25 Member
Hey guys! I am going out of the country FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER, and it's to Israel on my birthright trip. I am so unbelievably excited, and I didn't know if any of you had been on a Birthright trip already or to Israel and had any handy traveler tips for me.

Replies

• Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have not, but my husband's cousin did and met his wife on the plane!
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I live in Jerusalem. Message me if you have any questions at all. :) Have fun, I know people usually enjoy it very much.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    you're very lucky.
  • SnazzyTraveller
    SnazzyTraveller Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    What is a birthright trip?
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    What is a birthright trip?

this.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    While I'm not a Jew,I have many Jewish friends as well as my girlfriend, and for nearly all of them, their birthright trip was one of the best experiences of their lives. HAVE FUN!!!
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    My friend went on her birthright trip this May. Wear comfortable walking shoes, breathable clothes, and take lots of pictures!
  • mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I'm lost....what is a birthright trip? sorry :blushing:
  • MissLuana
    Options
    Congratulations!!! Those will be a very fun 10 days!!!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    So you've never left the country, but this is a trip of birth...
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Have a blast Victoria! Totally ecstatic for you!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Seriously. Can anyone please answer what a birthright trip is? A lot of us are clueless here.
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Found this by using "google"....... it's a wonderful invention.

Taglit-Birthright Israel (also Birthright Israel or Birthright) is a not-for-profit educational organization that sponsors free 10-day heritage trips to Israel for Jewish young adults. Its goals are to diminish the division between Israel and Jewish communities around the world and to strengthen participants' personal Jewish identity and connection to Jewish history and culture.

Since trips began in the winter of 1999, nearly 300,000 young people from 59 different countries have participated in the program. About 80% of participants are from the United States and Canada.[1]
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options

Taglit-Birthright Israel (also Birthright Israel or Birthright) is a not-for-profit educational organization that sponsors free 10-day heritage trips to Israel for Jewish young adults. Its goals are to diminish the division between Israel and Jewish communities around the world and to strengthen participants' personal Jewish identity and connection to Jewish history and culture.

Since trips began in the winter of 1999, nearly 300,000 young people from 59 different countries have participated in the program. About 80% of participants are from the United States and Canada.[1]

what is this "google" you speak of?
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

I did use Google and it came up with a bunch of travel sites that said NOTHING about what a birthright trip actually was. And for the record I wasn't the only one who was wondering what it was.
  • dlegros
    dlegros Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Enjoy, I'm going to Israel for Krav Maga training and some sightseeing in May 2013 - can't wait! :smile:
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I was working on oil-rigs off the coast of Israel for most of the year. I only stayed in Haifa, a few times on the beach and a few times on Mt. Caramel. They have a beautiful gardens in Haifa called Bahai Gardens. That's the only place I really went sightseeing.
    Some of the taxi drivers will take advantage of you, i.e: your staying at a hotel a few miles from a restaraunt you really like, one cabbie might charge you 70shekels and the next will go on a meter and it'll cost you 45. So unless you make friends with one, always go on the meter.
    Also, if you want a cheeseburger(only saying cause I was working with guys who have no culture) you have to go to a non-kosher restaraunt.
    And don't go during passover if you like to drink anything but wine, it's all they serve.
    Have a safe trip
  • SlickFootAnna
    SlickFootAnna Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Stay away from Hamas?
  • XxxFallenAngelxxX
    Options
    I went their :) It was awesome!! I enjoyed going to the dead sea and to the mountains and stuff.
  • ddipert
    ddipert Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    When you're out sightseeing, make sure you have shekel coins with you. Water is very precious there and many places charge to use the restroom even though there is no charge to enter to site. If you're going to the Dead Sea, make sure you have a swim suit. I didn't because I thought it would be too cold in January and I missed the experience of floating in the salty water and having a mud bath.