Giving Blood

Options
So my office is doing a blood drive this Friday. I am signed up to give blood @ 9:30 am. I come into work between 5:30-6:30 am and am off @ 2 pm. Should I work out in the afternoon after giving blood in the morning:huh: ?? Thanks for your input!!! :bigsmile:

Replies

• ♥seoid♥
    ♥seoid♥ Posts: 476
    Options
    that should be ok....make sure you eat something.
  • pawprint061
    pawprint061 Posts: 640
    Options
    I would say it depends on how you feel...
  • cathcakey
    cathcakey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Really depends on how you feel. If you're anything like me, I'm light headed for usually around 24 hours after donating. Definitely no heavy lifting as it will damage the healing process in your arm, and may give you a bruise over the donation site.
    Perhaps a light workout but maybe tell someone where you're exercising that you gave blood. I've seen way too many people think they feel absolutely fine, and then faint.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt do a heavy workout the same day you give blood, even if you think you feel fine. If you want, you could go for a walk outside or something very light. GIving blood is a huge deal for your body. Eat well and relax before and afterwards.
  • jacksmomma17
    Options
    I would wokout in the am if you want to do your normal routine. I wouldn't go pushing yourself after giving blood. Your body needs time to adjust to the lost red blood cells. If you do workout in the evening, make it a light one.
  • chicka200413
    Options
    I wouldn’t, but see how you feel. I ALWAYS faint after giving blood, but it is usually right afterwards… But I know two people in my office, who after giving blood fainted 2-4 hours later. And they NEVER faint from giving blood. They said they felt fine, then we heard a crash and one of them fell completely out of their desk chair and fainted. It was scary, they had to make a trip to the hospital and all.

If you do work out, have a friend or someone with you who knows that you gave blood.
  • klybarger
    klybarger Posts: 214
    Options
    I would suggest working out before if you can. When I give blood, they tell me not to use the arm for a certain amount of time because you can collapse the vein. Not to mention, you will be dehydrated after giving blood and it takes a while to replenish the fluids.
  • dclarsh1
    dclarsh1 Posts: 83
    Options
    They always tell me as they're wrapping up my arm not to exercise for 24 hours. Especially do not do anything that puts weight on your arms. Your body goes through a lot to reproduce all the blood you donated, so it needs lots of water, and lots of rest. Be kind to your body!!

Also, if it makes you feel better, your body will burn about 600 calories to replace the blood. I got that information from the Mayo clinic website, so I feel pretty good about it's accuracy.

BTW, good for you for donating!!
  • tmlane810
    tmlane810 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I think I will just go for a walk that afternoon with my daughter:smile: . I don't want to over do it and in the past I usually am lighthead for a few hours after giving blood. I would work out in the morning but 4 am comes so early:sad: !!!!

Thanks!!!!
  • tmlane810
    tmlane810 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    :wink:
    They always tell me as they're wrapping up my arm not to exercise for 24 hours. Especially do not do anything that puts weight on your arms. Your body goes through a lot to reproduce all the blood you donated, so it needs lots of water, and lots of rest. Be kind to your body!!

Also, if it makes you feel better, your body will burn about 600 calories to replace the blood. I got that information from the Mayo clinic website, so I feel pretty good about it's accuracy.

BTW, good for you for donating!!

Thank you for the additional information about replacing the blood! Very helpful, I use MayoClinic.com regulary so I will check it out.

Thanks for the encouragement as well....Have a wonder Tuesday:wink:
  • mlv333
    mlv333 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    The risks of working out after depleting your body of 1/8th of your blood outweights the benefit of working out the same day. Your spleen is going to be working overtime trying to replenish your blood, and you are going to overexhert that process by having your muscles needing an increased supply of oxygen. Now lets talk about hypovolemia. You are not going to have enough whole blood to supply all the organs you are going to be using. You can certainly chance it and stop when you feel dizzy, but why even take the chance of waiting until your brain doesn't have enough nutrients to stop your workout??? You'll be much better waiting a day.