not a regular cyclist, so please ignore my ignorance

Options
Hi everyone I hope you're all enjoying your festivities.

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I'm not a regular cyclist, so please ignore my ignorance. I want to do a charity bike ride in 2014 but want to know how to prepare for it. i.e what regular exercise should I start??

At the moment I eat healthily and I do boot camp 3x a week and on the days that I'm not boot camping I go to the gym (cardio and strength). I was wondering if starting spinning classes would help or is there anything else anyone can suggest?

Many thanks in advance.

Sarah

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Best training for cycling outdoors is cycling outdoors. The action of the static bike is quite different.

If you a worried about getting out in the nasty weather, consider an indoor trainer, which you fit to your 'proper' bike, so you're able to cycle on a correctly set up bike, indoors.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Yep. Best training for distance cycling is distance cycling. Try to ride the route beforehand.

If you want speed, pro cyclists incorporate strength training. Look at dem quadz on the olympic track cyclists. I added 2mph to my cycling speed through strength training alone. :)

ps - spin is good. But its a LOT easier than a real bike for many reasons.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Spin class can help you get started, but just like the above posters said, you've got to train outdoors. Cycling is more than just exercise... you've got to learn how to properly operate your equipment under varying conditions (i.e. hill climbing). The only way to train for an outdoor event is to go outdoors.

To start out, simply get a bike and start riding it.
  • angelkissingdevil
    angelkissingdevil Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yep. Best training for distance cycling is distance cycling. Try to ride the route beforehand.

If you want speed, pro cyclists incorporate strength training. Look at dem quadz on the olympic track cyclists. I added 2mph to my cycling speed through strength training alone. :)

ps - spin is good. But its a LOT easier than a real bike for many reasons.

Unfortunately riding the route isn't going to be an option as it's a 5 day route and it's London to Paris :(
  • angelkissingdevil
    Options
    Best training for cycling outdoors is cycling outdoors. The action of the static bike is quite different.

If you a worried about getting out in the nasty weather, consider an indoor trainer, which you fit to your 'proper' bike, so you're able to cycle on a correctly set up bike, indoors.

Oooooo I like the sound of this. I'll look into it thank you.
  • angelkissingdevil
    Options
    Thank you for your posts, I really appreciate the advise given. Think I'll speak to my friend to see what other training he's doing for it too, but will definitely start getting out there (outdoors) x
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    If you have a smartphone you could use runkeeper or endomondo to track your bike rides (distance, speed etc) and see what you're starting from. How far can you ride now without feeling tired? How often are you able to train? For how long each session?
    I'm not a bike rider in particular, but I guess distance riding adheres to a lot of the same principles as running/walking. You need to know what you can do NOW before you can build a plan.
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a bike trainer for the winter months if your climate will not allow for outdoor riding. If you can, join a local bike club and go on some group rides with them. This will help you get accustomed to cycling with other riders which can be a bit disorienting for new riders. Or join in on some indoor trainer classes (this is not the same as spin class, using an actual bicycle on a trainer is an entirely different experience) that will work on your cadence (rotations per minute) and your endurance. One thing to try to avoid (which I have heard from more experienced cyclers than myself) is turning the tension really high on a trainer or stationary bike in an effort to build strength because this can lead to injuries to the knees. Good strength training with weights will do a much better job of this.

As others have mentioned, get outside and cycle....it really is the best way to prepare.
  • lynnellec
    lynnellec Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I would suggest seeing if there is bicycling club near you because they may offer a "new to cycling" workshop. The one where I live offers an 8-week workshop that goes over everything from the parts of a bike to how to change a tire to training for events. It was great and beneficial. Good luck with your training!
  • yes do a cycle class but you need to have the resistance up high, cause that is the only way to build up your leg muscles. also having the resistance up high will be like riding on the road.

I teach cycle and my class is the one were all the cyclist go to when getting ready for races on top of cycling outside. and to just keep up with leg muscle.
  • robindina
    robindina Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I just did my first tour this past year. Feel free to add me for any advice.

First thing I did was get a bike that fits me. All I did was increase my distance each time I rode. :)
  • angelkissingdevil
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies, Robindina, I've added you I hope you didn't mind x

What a great idea from those who suggested a bike club....... got the juices flowing and will get on the case to find out if there are any out there. Think I'll contact friends on facebook that live in my area, someone is bound to know of one. Plus I'll search the web and also ask at the local gym (where I workout). Someone is bound to know of something.

RaeN81 I was thinking a bike trainer to sit my own bike onto it whilst it's too wet/cold/freezing outside.

determinedbut, if I remember rightly there's an actual bike riding one but will go and have a rummage lol x
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I would do a cycling class vs. a spin class because they are two completely different animals. I have never taken a spin class however I have taking cycling classes and it focuses on technique, the proper way to pedal (yes, there is a proper way to pedal!) and they will go through drills like steep hills, rolling hills, speed etc. It will most definitely prepare you for heading out doors come spring. The group i used to do the class with were a part of Team in Training and they would do the cycling class to prepare the cyclists for hitting the road for their races in the spring.
  • kenhelms17720
    Options
    How many miles is the ride?

Trainingpeaks.com has some free cycling plans out right now until mid January.

If you are doing indoor training part of the time and have neighbors(apartment) or family, be nice and purchase a fluid trainer or a good mag trainer. Wind resistance trainers are pretty dang loud.

Spinning classes are ok, but like others have said... you really want to get fit to your bike and not a stationary.
    thesufferfest.com has some good videos that would help you train.

O and really important..... get a proper bike fit from a reputable shop.
  • angelkissingdevil
    Options
    Wooo hooo, think I've found a local cycle club, just waiting to hear from them.

Thank you to everyone who's replied, really appreciated it.