Secrets to Successfully Losing 100+ Pounds

Options

Replies

• Ronij59
    Ronij59 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that inspirational story. It makes me feel pretty good about what I am doing as well. Just today my boss bought our office (small staff) pizza for lunch. I am muslim so whoever orders the pizza always keeps that in mind. So they order a Hawaian pizza and a chicken garlic pizza from Papa Johns. Well I am not much of a pizza person anyway, I can take it or leave it. But when I was eating, I mentioned that the salad was really good and the light pear gorganzola dressing was really tasty. One of my co-workers said, Yeah it is really good for your diet". I promptly replied, "Iam NOT on a diet." HA HA thank you again!
  • amsthegreat
    amsthegreat Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Question – have you ever hit a plateau in your journey? I thought I was in one when I didn't lose anything for a month, so I started zig-zagging my intake and that seemed to work.

I have plateaued so many times I lost count.
  • Ajholden
    Ajholden Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Question – have you ever hit a plateau in your journey? I thought I was in one when I didn't lose anything for a month, so I started zig-zagging my intake and that seemed to work.

I have plateaued so many times I lost count.

Can you share how you overcame the plateaus please? So far, I've only hit one, but I anticipate more to come!
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Congrats friend- so proud of you!
  • ImprovingEla
    ImprovingEla Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Congrats on so many lbs you have lost and thanks for making a point that even while loosing weight, people should enjoy their food.
  • arodriguez2
    arodriguez2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    A Milwaukee girl (Soblemans and Kopps)!!!! Great loss and way to put into perspective all the "little" things we can do everyday that really add up!
  • 276NoMore
    276NoMore Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I've heard it said so many times before that walking is really a great form of exercise. On average, how many miles do you think you walk a day or a week? Very inspiring post - thank you for sharing :) Did you ever get upper back problems from walking, and if so, any remedies you know of?
  • brickhouse76
    Options
    Thanks for sharing...Congratulations To You!
  • amsthegreat
    Options
    Can you share how you overcame the plateaus please? So far, I've only hit one, but I anticipate more to come!

Plateaus are terrible for motivation. Just when you feel like this doing well it seems like one is right there blocking the reas to success. It's really important to evaluate your individual situation, because different situations may need different solutions. My last plateau was the worst because it lasted 6 months. I wasn't feeling motivated at all and I was really comfortable in my size. One day Irealizedthat several months had gone by with no progress. In fact, I had GAINED! I needed some motivation, so I pulled out my fat pants. Throughout my journey I have donated/sold tons of clothes, but I kept one pair of jeans from when I was at my largest. Back then it was a bit of a squeeze to get into them, but I refused to buy a larger size (that's when I decided to lose weight for real and stop TALKING about looking weight. Whenever I need a motivational boost I put those jeans on. It reminds me of how far I've come and that I can't stop in the middle. The last time I put them on I had to hold them up.
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • Yolanda4160
    Yolanda4160 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    This is such an awesome post! And I especially needed to hear this today :smile: You are an inspiration and I hope to be as successful as you one day! Congrats on your success :drinker:
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that, too. Whenever I ban myself from eating things, or follow a "diet," I make myself miserable. When I count calories and allow it to be a reasonable number, I eat whatever I want and I am much happier.

Congratulations!
  • amsthegreat
    Options
    A Milwaukee girl (Soblemans and Kopps)!!!! Great loss and way to put into perspective all the "little" things we can do everyday that really add up!

I am originally from Texas, but have been living in Milwaukee for 3 years now. Are you from Milwaukee?
  • amsthegreat
    Options
    I've heard it said so many times before that walking is really a great form of exercise. On average, how many miles do you think you walk a day or a week? Very inspiring post - thank you for sharing :) Did you ever get upper back problems from walking, and if so, any remedies you know of?

I used to wear a pedometer, the first was lost at work and the second broke at work... so I stopped buying them. I was averaging 24,000-32,000 steps a day. Most days were closer to 27,000 steps. I think the highest was 34,000. Never wore it during a workout, so it would have been more.
  • deja_blu
    deja_blu Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    In 2009 I weighed 265 lbs and was 49% BF. I'm only 5'3," to put that weight a bit more into perspective. I have lost 102 lbs since then. I now weigh in at 163 lbs and am 32% BF. Everyone keeps telling me how great I look and asking for my secrets, so here they are.

1. I work 40+ hours at a job in which I am always on my feet.

2. I walk to and from work most days.

3. Lately I have been neglecting the gym, but I usually hit the gym 4-5 times a week. I also walk to/from the gym.

4. I walk to get groceries. Last week I decided to add up the weight of my groceries out of curiousity and found out that I had walked home (15 blocks) with 50 lbs of groceries.

5. For fun I do things that are active (require some moving around), such as walking down Candy Cane Lane to look at Christmas lights, spending the day at the museum, walks in the park or down by the lake, geocaching, etc.

6. I have to stress this last point because people ask me all the time, "Aren't you trying to lose weight? Should you really be eating that?" or "Aren't you on a diet?" The answer is yes, I am trying to lose weight, but no I am not on a diet and I don't avoid any foods that I love. I DO count calories. I eat approximately 1600 calories on an inactive day, but I eat back ALL the extra calories I burn. Yes, you read correctly. If I burn an extra 900 calories at the gym you'd better believe I will be eating all 900 of those calories back. You'll probably find me at Sobleman's Pub and Grill eating a burger and drinking a Bloody Mary or Kopps having some frozen custard. If I want something high calorie or I find myself hungry at the end of 1600 calories, I eat. I take that as a signal from my body that I didn't give it something it needed during the day. No "dieting" here.

Your start weight and goal weight are EXACTLY like mine and where I want to be, respectively. My BF% was about 51% at 265 and I'm 5'9" so all that weight had more "real estate" to cover, LOL.

This is very inspiring and a sign that I'm on the right track. I have 35 lbs to go before I hit the -100 mark. Question: did you do strength training/weights while losing weight so you wouldn't have a lot of loose skin?

Thanks for sharing your story and tips. :flowerforyou:

5499814.png
  • RoseDarrett
    RoseDarrett Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    You're awesome.I'm experiencing a plateau atm,so I'm busting out my PREGO PANTS and wearing them so I keep staying motivated to keep working out and eating well.

I LOVE YOUR STORY.PUT A SMILE ON MY FACE.Thanks for sharing it!
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Love your last point. So true. Congrats on your success and keep up the great work.
  • amsthegreat
    Options
    Your start weight and goal weight are EXACTLY like mine and where I want to be, respectively. My BF% was about 51% at 265 and I'm 5'9" so all that weight had more "real estate" to cover, LOL.

This is very inspiring and a sign that I'm on the right track. I have 35 lbs to go before I hit the -100 mark. Question: did you do strength training/weights while losing weight so you wouldn't have a lot of loose skin?

You're doing a great job! To answer your question, I wish I had done strength training all the way through. I only really started focusing on it this past August. I do have loose skin, but I'm hoping that it will tighten up now that I am strength training. I still have a little ways to go, so I'm trying to remain optimistic.
  • vaness1919
    vaness1919 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow over 100 Lbs. lost .....that is awesome! Thanks for sharing you're secrets and giving me inspiration!:smile:
  • Celuwen
    Celuwen Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Good advice. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!