Sore Breastbone Sternum Area

Options
Hello. Does anyone ever get a sore breastbone area from working out? I have been sore right in the sternum area and I believe its from doing a lot of arm and chest excercises. My sternum area feels differet now than it did before now that im excerscing, there is less fat there so it feels hard like a bone. I felt someone elses to feel a comparison and they felt similair. Does anyone have this soreness?

Replies

• DennisHarrison
    Options
    My wife and I both had that problem for a while, but neither of us have had it lately. Don't know if it goes away as strength increases, or if it is something that we did wrong those particular times and "injured" ourselves. My advice is to let time pass if it is not too bad, and see what happens. More than a week to 10 days of pain may mean something serious. Hang tough.
  • Melvillin
    Options
    Yes! I get very soar there as well.. I believe it is from doing a lot of chest and arm exercises.
  • shanerylee
    shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    thanks so much. Of course me keep feeling and poking is probably what made it sorer :) thanks so much
  • KateDonnelly
    Options
    LOL! I'm a massage therapist and as I was reading I was thinking to advise you to try not to poke and prod at it. Then I read your second post and it made me laugh.I have a lot of clients who find sore spots and poke them a lot which just increases the length of time it takes to heal. It is most likely from exercise. I would not be concerned but if it increases suddenly in intensity or persists, you should definitely check in with a physician.
  • shanerylee
    Options
    :) thanks a lot
  • shanerylee
    Options
    If you were me would you still excercise that area. I dont want to stop because Im seeing results, its not that bad.
  • tutujoli
    tutujoli Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    For me, that happens if I start my exercises with my arms too far back. Try reducing your range of motion just a very small amount until you build your muscles up a bit. I was able to go back to full range of motion after about 4 weeks and I don't have trouble anymore.