Planet Fitness??

Options

Replies

• vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I'm a member and so is my hubs. It does what I need it to do--- I go M-F for 30 minutes. It's cheap, and I have one minutes from my house.

I supplement my workouts elsewhere with group fitness classes.

Many people will complain that they don't have free weights. I believe it depends on the location, since I have benches and a squat rack at mine. They have plenty of weight machines too.

No deadlifts allowed at PF, but I can't deadlift anyway-- so it's a moot point to me.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    if you are on a budget and looking for a cheap gym its an ok place to start. if you can afford something a little more expensive id start with a normal gym that is not as limiting as planet fitness is.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Don't like the place. They created a lunk alarm so you can't drop weights, grunt, etc. Says it is judge-free zone and it isn't as you can tell from their commercials. If you want somewhere cheap just to do treadmills and cardios, I'd suggest there. But if you want to build muscle and be able to go up in weight go to a better gym like Gold's Gym.

Pretty much the lunk alarm is a way to not let you move up in weights because you'll never know how high you can go because you're so worried about the lunk alarm going off. Sometimes I can put up 8 times with a 85lb dumbbell on incline and then sometimes my arm just goes limp and i end up dropping it, they can't expect us to know that will happen.
    Planet Fitness is not for performance athletes, bodybuilders, power lifters or hard core training.
    It's a place for normal folks to go, enjoy and work to reach their fitness goals.
    Planet fitness is a good match for some...horrible for others.
  • suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input! The PF I am looking at in Cleveland and is pretty new and extremely clean. I'm a runner and just looking for somewhere to do cardio over the winter season. Plus, I see they have tanning! :)
    Sounds like a good fit for you then. I paid $99 for a 12-month membership because they have a lot of cardio machines and no crowds, so that's where I dip in from time to time. I do strength training at my other gym. The one I go to is clean, has lots of TVs, not crowded.... what comes out to be $8/mo I feel like it's free. They also have free pizza on the first Monday of each month so let's say you stop in for dinner in your street clothes and pig out.... that pretty much covers your $8/mo fee! Ordering a pizza would've costed twice that.
  • ksizzle911
    ksizzle911 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Each and every one is different. Where I live, the Planet Fitness is brand new. It's always super clean, never smells bad, the staff is friendly and helpful and all the equipment is awesome. I think that you need to specifically check out the one where you live to make your own judgements about it. Yes, they do have an alarm they sound when people grunt too loudly or drop weights, but they do this for a purpose. The gym that I used to belong to was not very friendly to bigger people. It became quite intimidating at times to have to sit there and feel like you're being judged. Not only that, but it's bothersome to me while I'm working out to have to listen to people grunt and try to draw attention to themselves and show off for others. I love the 30 minute circuit as well. it's a wonderful way to get a quick workout in and use all the muscles in your body. Plus, the starting memberships were only $10 a month for 5 years! Plus a $1 start up fee. I would recommend Planet Fitness to anyone. Just depends on what you like and don't like. Go in and ask for a tour and see how you feel about it.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I am a member I like the cleanliness, plenty of machines and the weights are always readily available. The only drawback is other equipment like they don't have medicine balls and Bosu balls or bands all that stuff you have to bring your own. No classes so if you are into any of those things it might bore you. I like the friendly staff and the TVs too! Teh one I go to they are TIGHT on rules too!
  • stanluoser
    Options
    Don't like the place. They created a lunk alarm so you can't drop weights, grunt, etc. Says it is judge-free zone and it isn't as you can tell from their commercials. If you want somewhere cheap just to do treadmills and cardios, I'd suggest there. But if you want to build muscle and be able to go up in weight go to a better gym like Gold's Gym.

Pretty much the lunk alarm is a way to not let you move up in weights because you'll never know how high you can go because you're so worried about the lunk alarm going off. Sometimes I can put up 8 times with a 85lb dumbbell on incline and then sometimes my arm just goes limp and i end up dropping it, they can't expect us to know that will happen.
    Planet Fitness is not for performance athletes, bodybuilders, power lifters or hard core training.
    It's a place for normal folks to go, enjoy and work to reach their fitness goals.
    Planet fitness is a good match for some...horrible for others.

Exactly, that's why I wrote that if you're going there for cardio I would suggest going there, if you're going to workout and gain muscle and strength I would suggest another gym.
  • Kinderfit
    Kinderfit Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had that problem at Planet Fitness today, my first day back in almost a year. 2 people kept jumping stations and happen to go to my next one... oh well, I managed. I do like it there since there but i did the circuit and have no idea how to log it for strength training. it is 30 minutes with steps in between... any idea how to log that?
  • Maelay
    Maelay Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I was at PF for about a year and then switched to anytime fitness. Planet fitness is ok if you know what you are doing or you don't mind all the people, but I love my current gym. It's small, and everyone is friendly.
  • krrinak
    Options
    Have been a planet fitness members since Oct.2012. I signed up to get some exercise during the cold winter months here in Anchorage, AK. I get the lunk alarm thing as it probably decreses damage to floor and equipment but i feel the alarm is more annoying then some weights clanking. I like the price of the gym. It is perfect for my fitness goals and I like that I can bring a buddy without them being charged. new location and clean facility
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I'm a member and so is my hubs. It does what I need it to do--- I go M-F for 30 minutes. It's cheap, and I have one minutes from my house.

Many people will complain that they don't have free weights. I believe it depends on the location, since I have benches and a squat rack at mine. They have plenty of weight machines too.

No deadlifts allowed at PF, but I can't deadlift anyway-- so it's a moot point to me.

what do you mean no deadlifts allowed?? I do at mine..
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I like my planet fitness, it is clean, people are friendly. There are some seriously buff people at my PF so apparently they are able to do what they need to do.
    I really like the circuit. I get a really high calorie burn doing it.
    Granted it does not have a lot of things I would like, but it is affordable and I can make adjustments.
    They are pretty strict about the circuit at mine too as an employee came over and asked me if the two guys there were interrupting my circuit.
    My husband goes to and lets out a grunt once in a while and someone told on him... give me a friggin break..
  • Louiseisme
    Options
    I log it as "curves circuit training" since that is what it is designed after. Hope this helps.
  • ChristinaBarnhouse
    ChristinaBarnhouse Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the Planet Fitness reviews. I joined about 3 weeks ago and love it!!
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

what do you mean no deadlifts allowed?? I do at mine..

I guess each one may be different. From what I hear, some have squat racks, and benches, and others do not.

I actually asked the question on my last visit, and was told NO. I asked why and they said "The barbell is not allowed to touch the floor, and is against the rules".

So.... again, I can only speak for my location since I actually asked about it, and not all the others out there. I've been to 4 locations (two here in NC, one in Southwest Florida, and one in Tulsa OK) and none of them had anyone deadlifting.

ETA: I suppose (for locations similar to mine) you could do a modified DL on the Smith Press and that would not be against the rules, or a Romanian DL and that wouldn't be against the rules, as long as you rerack the Olympic bar and don't let it touch the ground.
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I love planet fitness!! I'm just a normal person working out so its perfect for me. I can do my cardio and weight machines as well as ab workouts on a mat. Its always clean and the lunk alarm thing never goes off, I see people doing free weights and stuff too. I shower at the gym and its always clean, I think most people at mine live really close and just drive home to shower. I also like how cheap it is because I'm a poor college kid. Each location is different so I'd check it out in person before writing it off as an option. I like group fitness classes but I do those at my college gym and I go to yoga at a local studio as well.
  • akern1987
    akern1987 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I'm a planet fitness member. I love it, it's cheap, and while it doesnt have a lot of extras (it doesnt have classes or a pool anything like that). It's clean, they have a ton a machines, personal training, the people are friendly, and during the week it is open 24hrs.

For $10 a month, you can't really ask for more.
  • chosanjuan
    chosanjuan Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm totally down with Planet Fitness. My whole family and some friends are too! I've seen the ads, the lunk alarm issues and the bad reviews. All of the PFs in my area are nice and clean. Depending on the time of day, it can be pretty packed. Other than that, I think it's great! I'm weight training and am pushing myself up so I don't know what others are talking about that the facilitie's business model is flawed in that fashion. ???
  • kristarablue2
    kristarablue2 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I have been a member for about 3 or 4 years. I love my Planet fitness, I have gotten to know all the staff, they know my membership number by heart and I love the regulars. It is a great place to go with lots of cardio and machine weights, I rarely have to wait for cardio machines and only sometimes for a smith or benches. Now in saying that they are a very basic gym. It is perfect for beginning however I have augmented it with fitness classes. They don't have a lot of variety in equipment meaning no ropes, punching bags, medicine balls, no classes, no childcare...ect. However it is a great place to go at an extremely reasonable price. I love going there but also know its limitations.
  • adge629
    Options
    I go to Planet and love it. I have had other memberships that I bought but never used. I love the layout, staff, equipment, etc. I don't necessarily like the hours on Fridays and the weekends at my specific location. Planet is not a gym to bulk up, they state that. If your wanting to be a body builder than no this is not the gym for you.