Pear shape help...

Options
I'm on my 3rd week of exercising consistently (went from doing NOTHING though). Already I've noticed my stomach is looking less bulgy, which is exciting! Either the exercise and diet is working or my posture has greatly improved:-) I guess I'll find out Fri if I lost any weight.
I think I will lose the weight in the middle first since it was never a problem spot for me until the last yr or so. My major issue is my thighs! (see my profile pics) They have been large all my life, it's genetic b/c that's where my mom carries all her weight as well.
The front of my thighs are feeling stronger/firmer but my pants are getting tighter there b/c all the stinkin squats and lunges these fitness videos have you doing!
What's the best workout for getting rid of fat around the butt/thighs? I know I can't spot reduce, but is there a type of cardio workout that will help? Is there a strength training that will lengthen those muscles instead of make them bigger?

Right now I'm doing various workout vidoes that combine cardio with strength, but again, so many are full of thigh work that leaves me super sore the next day or two. My knees hurt as well.

I did walk for the 1st time in a while yesterday (with my kids in the stroller) and focused on squeezing the back of my legs. I know I don't burn as many calories walking but perhaps it's the best cardio workout for the days I need to "recover".

Replies

• Melvillin
    Options
    I would love to know the answer for this as well.. I am too cursed with large thighs!
  • pawprint061
    pawprint061 Posts: 640
    Options
    I've lost almost ten inches from that area from walking. A fast paced walk. I walk for 4 hours at work every day and it's helps, plus I walk outside work too. Get a measuring tape and start measuring... you would be surprised.
  • ashtonal
    ashtonal Posts: 2
    Options
    I've got the thighs as well! For cardio I run once a week (6.5mph for 30 mins) and do spin classes (40 mins x 2 week) I do a lot of squats and walking lunges but with lower weight. I've noticed a reduction. Also do a lot of glute exercises to perk up the butt and that is helping. I've lost about 3-4 inches off each thigh in the last year.

If you have a resistance band a great adductor (the muscle on the outside of the thigh) exercise is to stand on the band (make sure it goes under the arch of your foot), then cross it, and pull it up to about waist height. Take five steps to the right ... there should be good tension and the five steps to the left. Try not to let your feet come too close together because the band will go slack. Do this each way three times. The first time I did it my things were on fire!! I try and do it once a week or so.

Keep at it ... thighs can take a long time ... stubborn things!
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    unfortunately, i don't think there is a spot-training kind of thing for that - i feel your pain. but, on the up and up, i'm not sweating my thighs, because most of the strong, fit women i see (not scraggly supermodels) do not have particulary thin thighs because their muscles are developed - not bulky, just strong. i would stick to what your doing, mixing up the cardio and strength, and see how you turn out in the long run. it's going to be a beautiful thing!
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    you're - not your.
  • Mom2Emery_Liam
    Options
    Thanks for the tips so far! I will stick w/the walking every day the weather is nice...I'd like to build up the stamina to run but right now my only time of the day to do it would be before 7am...my boys still wake me overnight so it's rare for me to find the motivation to get up so early. Walking/jogging with them in the stroller seems to be best for now.
    I've noticed most trainers have larger thighs as well and that's fine, but mine are flabby and look like they've been through a hail storm! lol
    Gotta remind myself this is a loooong process and getting rid of the fat will take a while.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I tend to have alot of weight in thighs as well. I've found that both walking and doing the elliptical have made a huge difference over the past 2 months. I've lost nearly 10 pounds, and the weight has mostly come from my legs. Cardio does burn fat in general, but at least for me, doing the elliptical and walking has seen the biggest impact on the weight in my legs.