Sick of being sick

Options
My throat feels like razor blades are stuck in it and my fever keeps coming and going. Is there anything I can eat or drink that will make my throat feel better? I'm already taking medication, but its not touching the pain at all.

Replies

• Katemarie34
    Katemarie34 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    bump- I'm in the same boat! I've never been this sick before
  • datguy2011
    datguy2011 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    honey... 1 tsp. every morning... after 4 or 5 days your immune system gets better...
  • Yunnieh
    Yunnieh Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Warm soup. Honey does make your throat better, but it's not exactly healthy or low-calorie.
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Lidocaine gargle. You need a prescription, though.
    Or extra strength Sucrets.
  • sarahmichelle876
    Options
    I think I have the lidocaine gargle at home, but I'm 800 miles away from there for the holidays. I'll try the honey and the soup. Maybe some coffee.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Over-the-counter: dequadin. Longes that melt in your throat.

Hot rum/brandy toddy with plenty of lemon, honey, hot water.

Gargle Listerine, or hot salt water.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    honey... 1 tsp. every morning... after 4 or 5 days your immune system gets better...

local honey is better than store bought especially if you have light allergies to things like pollen.
  • sarahmichelle876
    Options
    Thank you for all the suggestions. I need to do something. Even swallowing water is too much.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    my grandmother used to make us gargle with hydrogen peroxide when we had sore throats. all you need is a cap full (the cap from the bottle). it's safe, inexpensive and it works.
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Start taking a zinc supplement, it will help get you well and keep you that way. Honey, by itstelf or in your tea with lemon, localally produced if possible. Chicken soup really does help... homemade if at all possible. Nasal saline spray: sometimes it's sinus drainage making your throat hurt. Popcicles.

Hope you're home in bed, you need rest to recover. Feel better soon! :flowerforyou:
  • sarahmichelle876
    Options
    Start taking a zinc supplement, it will help get you well and keep you that way. Honey, by itstelf or in your tea with lemon, localally produced if possible. Chicken soup really does help... homemade if at all possible. Nasal saline spray: sometimes it's sinus drainage making your throat hurt. Popcicles.

Hope you're home in bed, you need rest to recover. Feel better soon! :flowerforyou:
    Trying to stay in bed. Me and my husband are with family for the holidays and try keep dragging me out. I feel bad to say no. Sleeping would be easier if my fever would stop coming back and then breaking. Freezing to sweaty sucks so much.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I use hot tea with lemon and honey.
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Ha! I too have been feeling this way lately! I actually just "vented" on my status about being sick of being sick!
    I've been on vacation ever since the 21st and have been sick since day after Christmas!! Sucks being sick but especailly
    when it is during your vacation time ;(

I have not really been able to eat much or drink much water myself but I have been drinking lotts of hot tea!!!
    Seems I can not get enough of it actually! My mother-in-law suggested putting honey in the tea.....

Hope YOU get to feeling better soon!!
  • sarahmichelle876
    Options
    Ha! I too have been feeling this way lately! I actually just "vented" on my status about being sick of being sick!
    I've been on vacation ever since the 21st and have been sick since day after Christmas!! Sucks being sick but especailly
    when it is during your vacation time ;(

I have not really been able to eat much or drink much water myself but I have been drinking lotts of hot tea!!!
    Seems I can not get enough of it actually! My mother-in-law suggested putting honey in the tea.....

Hope YOU get to feeling better soon!!
    I hope you do too!! Mine started the day after Christmas too. We went shopping so I could get new pants and I felt fine until Igor home. Started feeling that draining thing going on so I went to sleep. Woke up with a fever and the worst sore throat. Ugh
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you might have the flu or strep throat. See a Dr and tell your family to leave you alone! :)
  • sarahmichelle876
    Options
    Haha I'll do that!! I'm a med student so I don't think I have strep. None of the white marks on my throat. Flu is possible thought :(
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I take that Alka Seltzer, the kind that is powder that you dump into hot water, almost like a tea. It cured me right up, I took it right when I was feeling sick and I didn't get any worse.

Drink hot tea with honey too, that helps.

I hope you feel better soon! :(
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options

local honey is better than store bought especially if you have light allergies to things like pollen.

THIS! Raw local honey is great for allergies and is a great pick-me-up as well.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Warm soup. Honey does make your throat better, but it's not exactly healthy or low-calorie.
    1 tsp of honey is about 20 calories.
  • sarahmichelle876
    Options
    Going to try it all