Does Running cause bigger calves?

Options
I am prone to gaining quite a bit of muscle when I work out, and have noticed that since I started running (since beginning of last summer) my calves are more muscular but also bigger! Does running cause this?? I was really hoping to slim my legs down!

Replies

• Slimat30
    Slimat30 Posts: 142
    Options
    Hey beautiful! I've found my legs are a lot more toned and have slimmed down as I have lost weight and kept up my running x
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Hey beautiful! I've found my legs are a lot more toned and have slimmed down as I have lost weight and kept up my running x

Hi Sweets! :) Maybe that's my problem...I've lots lots of inches in my thighs and butt, but not actual lbs!!
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I noticed since I started running my calves look bigger to me. It's only changed 1/4". Hubby says I'm crazy when I tell me I have "big" calves.
  • saracatherine89
    saracatherine89 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I had a pair of boots that told this exact story!!! When I first started losing weight (235lbs high) I could not wear socks with these boots and barely could zip them up. I lost 20lbs and then they started getting looser. Now I am down 60lbs at 175 and I run and do plyometric cardio all of the time and I can feel them getting tighter again! Overall my thighs have slimmed down so much that I don't care if my calves get bigger, as long as the bigness comes from muscle and not fat!
  • calitravelingal
    Options
    I found that initally that was true of me too. When I began running (in April of this year) I was able to quickly tone my calves and thighs, but it seems as if I was bulking up a bit. I had a pair of jeans that I got back into (size wise) but the calves were really tight. I have started to notice now however that with continued running my legs are beginning to become leaner. While still very toned the bulk is converting to a leaner muscle. Those same jeans now are no longer tight in the legs.
  • velvettsky
    velvettsky Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love to run too and my calves may look bigger but are not… my husband loves how they look in heels and so do i.
    keep going and take measurements if you are really concerned.