Weight lifting and calories burned

Options
When you add weight to your strength training routine and you keep track of how long you've been working out, do you burn more?

What I mean by this is, let's say you weigh100Lbs (In need of gaining muscle) and you lift two 7Lbs dumbbell's while doing lunges and squats...will you burn more by adding the extra 14Lbs?

Replies

• alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    When you add weight to your strength training routine and you keep track of how long you've been working out, do you burn more?

What I mean by this is, let's say you weigh100Lbs (In need of gaining muscle) and you lift two 7Lbs dumbbell's while doing lunges and squats...will you burn more by adding the extra 14Lbs?

It says i only burn 77 calories for 34 minutes of strength/weight training and I'm pretty sure I either weigh 100Lbs or 101Lbs.
  • alexbusnello
    Options
    bump
  • dantrick
    dantrick Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    go get yourself a heart rate monitor like the polar FT4 or FT7. it will tell you how many calories you burned during your workout. the calories burned on this site seem inaccurate.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Well, yes. Typically the more strenuous your exercise is, the more calories you burn.

Are you actively trying to gain muscle? If so, are you eating at a calorie surplus?
  • Ph4lanx
    Ph4lanx Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    It's wrong, plain and simple. You burn a lot more. The only problem is because of how weight training with the on-off-on-off of sets and rest periods, it's hard to put a total on it. That's why most people who train weights don't necessarily eat back or log the calories. I simply have a calorie goal for the day, and I know my training will be anywhere from 3-5 days a week, depending on what part of my program I'm in at the time.

Simply put, if you want to see the calories, log it under cardio. If you don't care (and really, I wouldn't if I were you), either log it under cardio with 1 calorie like I do, or just log it under strength and just eat your calories for the day. :)
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    You may need to play with some numbers and just track progress. I'd say YES!
    It's so inconsistent with people that nobody really knows.
    When it comes to strength training in general, I just took a guess: 300 calories per hour.
    That's half of what I burn playing tennis.Close enough :drinker:
    It seems to work.
    You may need to invest in either a HRM or just experiment like I did.
  • kenhelms17720
    Options
    Caloric burn during weight training varies a ton. Depending on the type of lifting you are doing (bodybuilder style, powerbuilder, etc) the amount of rest between each rep, etc, etc. It is pretty hard to log.

Then there is the elevated burn that occurs post lift during muscle repair.

If you are looking to gain, most people will find their maintenance level and add 500 cals per day.
    If you are looking to lean, most people subtract 500 cals per day from maintenance level.

That being said, make sure you don't go deficit for too long or at too high an intensity. Weight training can take a long time to come back from a injury if a person over trains.

Edit- HRM will get you in the ballpark during the exercise but doesn't take into account the repair factor or metabolic elevation that occurs post workout.
  • alexbusnello
    Options
    Can you get heart rate watches for cheap? I don't really have the money........... = /
  • alexbusnello
    Options
    Caloric burn during weight training varies a ton. Depending on the type of lifting you are doing (bodybuilder style, powerbuilder, etc) the amount of rest between each rep, etc, etc. It is pretty hard to log.

Then there is the elevated burn that occurs post lift during muscle repair.

If you are looking to gain, most people will find their maintenance level and add 500 cals per day.
    If you are looking to lean, most people subtract 500 cals per day from maintenance level.

That being said, make sure you don't go deficit for too long or at too high an intensity. Weight training can take a long time to come back from a injury if a person over trains.

Edit- HRM will get you in the ballpark during the exercise but doesn't take into account the repair factor or metabolic elevation that occurs post workout.

I over trained in the past few months while dieting and I lost muscle mass and gained fat. I'm trying to rebuild lost muscle and get lean again.
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    I found this helpful info on the Livestrong page...I generally use the "circuit training" formula as I work out at home and don't have to fight for the machines at the gym. But it sounds like you wuold possibly use the free weights (.039) or lighter weights (.028)

Step 1
    Weigh yourself before each weight lifting session. The number of calories you burn partially depends on your weight.
    Step 2
    Time the number of minutes you lifted weights. This includes the time spent resting between repetitions.
    Step 3
    Determine the intensity value of your weight training. A bodybuilding level of effort is vigorous and burns 0.055 calories per pound per minute. Circuit training with weights burns 0.042 calories per pound per minute. Strength training with free weights burns 0.039 calories per pound per minute. Lighter weight lifting with moderate effort burns 0.028 calories per pound per minute.
    Step 4
    Calculate the number of calories burned. First, multiply your weight by the number of minutes you exercised. For example, if you weigh 140 lbs. and lifted weights for 35 minutes, the formula would be 140 x 35 = 4900. Then multiply this number by the intensity value to get the number of calories burned. If you were circuit training, the formula would be 4900 x 0.042 = 206 calories burned.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I found this helpful info on the Livestrong page...I generally use the "circuit training" formula as I work out at home and don't have to fight for the machines at the gym. But it sounds like you wuold possibly use the free weights (.039) or lighter weights (.028)

Step 1
    Weigh yourself before each weight lifting session. The number of calories you burn partially depends on your weight.
    Step 2
    Time the number of minutes you lifted weights. This includes the time spent resting between repetitions.
    Step 3
    Determine the intensity value of your weight training. A bodybuilding level of effort is vigorous and burns 0.055 calories per pound per minute. Circuit training with weights burns 0.042 calories per pound per minute. Strength training with free weights burns 0.039 calories per pound per minute. Lighter weight lifting with moderate effort burns 0.028 calories per pound per minute.
    Step 4
    Calculate the number of calories burned. First, multiply your weight by the number of minutes you exercised. For example, if you weigh 140 lbs. and lifted weights for 35 minutes, the formula would be 140 x 35 = 4900. Then multiply this number by the intensity value to get the number of calories burned. If you were circuit training, the formula would be 4900 x 0.042 = 206 calories burned.

^THIS^

I've been using this method for the better part of a year now and based on overall results it seems to be pretty accurate. You do have to be honest with yourself about how much exertion you're putting in but it gives you a good number and typically it is higher than the MFP estimate.
  • alexbusnello
    Options

Step 1
    Step 2
    Step 3
    Step 4

My weight: 100Lbs - 101Lbs
    Time spent strength training (both body weight and dumbbell): 34 minutes (I would pause the timer after each set. I do 3 - 4 sets/rounds)
    Intensity: Free weights and body weight
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

Adding 14lbs to leg exercises? (Or let's say 15% of body weight) Probably not a notable amount. It's low enough that it puts you in a rep range for muscular endurance, rather than hypertrophy or strength.

If you are exhausted after 2-4 squats with the weight and need to rest a few minutes before 3 more, then you're working purely strength gains.
    If you are exhausted after about 5-8 squats, you're still in the strength area, and touching a little on hypertrophy.
    If you can do 9-12 squats, then you NEED to rest, you're purely in hypertrophy.

If you can do 13+, you're in the endurance range and not really building strength or muscle.

Additionally, you sound pretty thin. Unless you're like, 3'7. A calorie surplus is required for muscle growth (but not necessarily strength gain, to a point.)
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    [/quote]

Time spent strength training (both body weight and dumbbell): 34 minutes (I would pause the timer after each set. I do 3 - 4 sets/rounds)
    [/quote]

You are probably burning around 132 calories..so since you are looking to gain strength..I would probably increase your weights...and eat back all the calories you are working off...at least that is what I have read (I'm not at a point of wanting to gain weight :tongue: )
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Can you get heart rate watches for cheap? I don't really have the money........... = /

They're not accurate for weigh lifting anyway, so I wouldn't waste your money.
  • alexbusnello
    Options

Adding 14lbs to leg exercises? (Or let's say 15% of body weight) Probably not a notable amount. It's low enough that it puts you in a rep range for muscular endurance, rather than hypertrophy or strength.

If you are exhausted after 2-4 squats with the weight and need to rest a few minutes before 3 more, then you're working purely strength gains.
    If you are exhausted after about 5-8 squats, you're still in the strength area, and touching a little on hypertrophy.

If you can do 13+, you're in the endurance range and not really building strength or muscle.

Additionally, you sound pretty thin. Unless you're like, 3'7. A calorie surplus is required for muscle growth (but not necessarily strength gain, to a point.)

Wow....I can do 20 reps with two 7.5 dumbells....but I do get tired after around 15 reps but i keep going. it also depends on the time of the day or just how i feel in general. sometimes i have more energy while other times i barely have any.

And I'm 5'2 1/2"
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

Wow....I can do 20 reps with two 7.5 dumbells....but I do get tired after around 15 reps but i keep going. it also depends on the time of the day or just how i feel in general. sometimes i have more energy while other times i barely have any.

And I'm 5'2 1/2"

So, you're too strong for the 7.5 dumbells. Which is great!
    You can make the exercise harder without costing any money.

Look here:
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/GluteusMaximus/BBSingleLegSplitSquat.html

Then move to here:
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/BWSingleLegSquat.html

And here:
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/WTSissySquat.html
  • alexbusnello
    Options

[/quote]

You are probably burning around 132 calories..so since you are looking to gain strength..I would probably increase your weights...and eat back all the calories you are working off...at least that is what I have read (I'm not at a point of wanting to gain weight :tongue: )
    [/quote]

Hmmmm, interesting...I don't take long breaks in between sets and my heart is usually still pumping quite quickly. I only count the time spent actually working out, not the times when I stop so i pause my timer.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Ditto's to advice to forget using a HRM for calorie burns for lifting.

The formula's for calorie burns in HRM's are ONLY valid for steady-state aerobic exercise.

So if the HR is going up and down a lot like intervals - inflated.
    If the HR is going up because it's anaerobic like lifting and intervals - inflated.

The MFP estimate may seem low, but it's a lot more accurate than HRM.

Unless you happen to have a Garmin using Firstbeat algorithms that just ignore the HR during anaerobic efforts, that can be much closer. Though you still have an elevated HR not related to anything cardio.
    And that's rather expensive for that one desire.
  • slowbubblecar
    slowbubblecar Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of this before. I just don't log strength training as I don't want to go over.