Wheat and/or Dairy free?

Options
Hi all!
I am thinking of going wheat/dairy free for a month in January-as a little experiment.Has anyone done this before and if so-any tips?Am looking for meal plans,groups and recipe ideas so if anyone could help,it would be greatly appreciated!
X

Replies

• hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I'm wheat (Celiac) and dairy free, not by choice, but it is what it is.

Paleo recipes might help you, they are all grain/dairy free. If you want to do 100% wheat free, you have to check every single thing you eat. Wheat hides is odd odd places, like licorice and viatims. Gravy, frozen french fries/hashbrowns etc. Its not a matter of just not using it in cooking/baking.

Definitly try and find some good recipes before you cut wheat out or it can be a bit overwhelming.
  • Jasdramaqueen
    Jasdramaqueen Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!Have bought a book and have been reading a lot of blog posts...have IBS so thought doing this may have some kind of positive impact on the old stomach.However,you are right and there is a lot I didn't know...it looks like sticking to non processed 'natural' foods is the best way of avoiding wheat but not always practical.Ah well,I am definitely interested in the results health wise.
  • ebonypixie
    ebonypixie Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Im wheat and gluten free (intolerant) so I avoid it as much as possible as it triggers lots of nasty symptoms in me. I try to eat a lot less dairy these days too as its meant to help heal the damage Ive previously done to my intestines by eating wheat pre-diagnosis. I dont buy a lot of special gluten free food, I just stick to rice and potatoes, veg and meat. I buy one loaf of gluten free bread a week for the odd slice with lunch/breakfast and a bag of gluten and wheat free pasta lasts me a month at least!

The key is just to eat a lot of fresh veg, fruit and meat. Rice is literally my go to carb now and is so versatile so I love it.

Sauces can have sneaky wheat in, so I usually make my own - with stock and spices or tinned tomatoes and such.

For desserts, IF needs be, I go with fresh fruit salad, or pavlova, or meringue as I know they are just eggs and sugar (hold the cream for dairy free).

You might miss it for a few days but you really are just free of all the cakes, biscuits and bread that is just NOT good for the system anyway! I cant wait to be 'clean' again - I ate a few gluten things over the holidays and am suffering with mouth ulcers, bad flatulence, wierd bowel movements, a skin rash and bad breath.

NOT WORTH IT :)