Almond Milk...

VballLeash
VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
Does anyone drink this?! I don't really see the benefits besides that its a little lower in calories than soy, it doesn't have much protein or anything... I was thinking it could be good for after workouts, does anyone drink it?! Thanks.

~Leash :heart:

Replies

• WendySGC
    WendySGC Posts: 2
    We just started drinking this at home, mostly because it tastes way better than rice milk and we have a milk fat and soy allergy in our house.
  • jewelinvic
    jewelinvic Posts: 332
    I bought some, the unsweetened vanilla flavour. I haven't tried it yet, I'm a little afraid to, afraid that I won't like it.

Gotta try it soon, don't want to waste the money :ohwell:
  • AndreeT
    AndreeT Posts: 191
    I LOVE Almond milk!! The unsweetened almond milk is very low in calories. Good source of calcium.

Mmmmmm Delicious.
  • VballLeash
    I got the vanilla silk brand.. not sure if its unsweetened though.. yea I liked the taste!

• AndreeT
    AndreeT Posts: 191
    The unsweetened milk takes a little to get used too. If you don't like it try mixing a little bit of Stevia in it or blend it with a couple of strawberries.
  • cattiemac
    cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
    I LOVE almond milk!!! I have the unsweetened original kind every morning in my cereal and when I want a treat the chocolate version is great. I don't like the taste of regular milk but absolutely love the taste of almond milk :) I swear if you try it you'll never go back!!
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Oh, YUM! I love it!

My nutritionist recommended it for my little girl, so we started drinking it (I am lactose intolerant, so I am happy to finally have some that I can drink too!). :drinker:

The only one that is not 100 % loving this is my good ole farm boy husband...i.e. "milk should come from cows not nuts"

My nutritionist explained to me that the cow's milk has antibodies in it for the babies that we just don't need.
  • The only one that is not 100 % loving this is my good ole farm boy husband...i.e. "milk should come from cows not nuts"

Wonder how they milk nuts...

I've actually had almond milk. It's pretty good but I don't think I could get my fam onboard with it.
  • VballLeash
    Thats interesting fit4vet! Yea I don't care about it coming from a cow lol I've always known that I can't have a lot of dairy and I think I like it better than soy milk, its at least a change too.

Cattie, chocolate sounds great! I'll have to look for that thanks.

• dzdame
    dzdame Posts: 89
    Low fat vanilla almond milk is the only way I can eat my cold cereal! So much better than cow's milk!
  • I gave up dairy a couple of years ago and began soy. I LOVE Silk Soy, and even more, I LOVE Silk Almond milk. GOOD stuff!
  • VictorianJade
    VictorianJade Posts: 705 Member
    I love my almond milk. I have the blue diamond vanilla flavour, and it's what I have as a snack or treat in the evenings. It's just frigging yummeh.

One of the benefits, is that for those of us who can't eat soy products (estrogen imbalances, etc), it's a nice alternative.
  • jewelinvic
    I've heard that you can't put the Almond milk in coffee, tea etc., because it curdles. Has anyone else heard this?
  • kmbishop
    kmbishop Posts: 9 Member
    I'm glad I saw this posting because I'm getting ready to try almond milk myself! I am not lactose intolerant, but I don't need the hormones/antibiotics that are in most milk and the milk that does NOT have those things is way more expensive. I don't drink a lot of it anyway, so why not try the almond milk. Also, I wanted to start using Jillian's Whey Protein powder and I've heard that it's good mixed with the almond milk and some berries or a banana. I'll come back and let you know how it all tastes...
  • VballLeash
    I've heard that you can't put the Almond milk in coffee, tea etc., because it curdles. Has anyone else heard this?

I hope not cause I was totally planning on trying it in coffee, I'm not a big coffee drinker but once in awhile it sounds good, I'll let you know if I try it!

• katznketo
    katznketo Posts: 323 Member
    Hi,

You can make your own almond milk by soaking the nuts and putting in a blender. Look on vegweb.com

I by the silk soy for the kids when I learned how bad any cows milk is for my kids. I wish I knew this years ago.

I only use milk in some cooking and in my coffee. I shake the carton up vigorously and ilts like a latte. Ha. kc
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member

It doesn't curdle in my coffee.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member

I have it and use it in my coffee all the time....not seen any curdling going on, but then I my coffee doesn't last long in the cip either!

I was disappointed when I looked at the nutrients the other day... I had thought that since it was from a nut that are high in protein it would have been higher in protein as well? I know you can't probably "squeeze the protein out" but still...kind of disappointed by that fact.

That being said, love the taste, love the consistency and I switch back and forth between it and soy every week as I am not so sure about eating a whole lot of soy products. I personally think almond milk tastes like cow milk after its been in a cereal bowl with sugary cereal...and for that, LOVE IT. LOL.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    We eliminated lactose based milk from our diet and noticed an increase in our digestion. We as humans aren't really meant to drink cow's milk. Think about it: would you feed human milk to your dog or cat? Probably not. Why should we drink other animal's milk? Same idea. Our bodies aren't really meant to digest animal milk.

I've tried soy, rice, and almond milk, and very much prefer the taste and texture of almond over the others.
  • jewelinvic
    Good to know! I will try it tonight!

I'm all excited now.:drinker:
This discussion has been closed.