Eat Yer Veggies Challenge, Anyone?

Options

Replies

• mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Miiimii wrote:
    How much fits in a measure cup? I always ask myself how much is one cup, because I have cups in different sizes in my cupboard. And I have measure cups in different sizes too. Can any American out there help - think this is something american, isn't it?
    cass678910 wrote:
    the amount that fit in a measuring cup is 8 ounces..I am not sure if this helps at all! we have a measuring cup that fits that amount, not like a cup you drink out of. Am I confusing you? lol

In theory it's 237 ml. Unfortunately, the word 'cup' is used in several ways.
    Grapes - Red Seedless (1 Cup Equals 5.5 oz)
    Kozy Shack - Tapioca Pudding 113 g (1 Snack Cup)
    Chick-Fil-A - Fruit Cup 6.85 oz
    Nestle Dairy Farm - Strawberry Hi Cal Low Fat Yoghurt (150g/Cup)
    Del Sol - Mandarin Oranges In Light Syrup, 4oz Cup

Many people avoid food items with ambiguous words. There are plenty of explicit measures on labels to avoid the risk of messing up a diet.
  • deb3690
    deb3690 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Ahhh very fun! I will take the nine servings challenge :tongue:

yesterday

1 red bell pepper
    2 cup of onion
    3 large tomato
    4 carrots
    5 another onion
    6 more carrots
    7 green beans (left overs)
    8 red potato (left overs)
    9 two tangerines
    10 cup of melon

I think there is an advantage if you are cooking raw foods from scratch....that makes it easier
  • deb3690
    Options
    12/28

Purple Onion
    Edamame
    Spinach
    Carrots
    Cucumber
    Bell Pepper
    Avocado
    Dried Cranberries
    Apple
    Sparkling Apple-Cranberry Juice
    Raspberries

Well, I've stuck to spinach salad still but I did add avocado and edamame today. I need to cook some veggies tomorrow.

Good one! Im going to add some steamed edamame tonight...although I think of soybeans like other beans....so I would add cannellinis to my list today too.
  • jolinemariem
    jolinemariem Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    i have no problem eating my veggies ....YUMM:happy:
  • deb3690
    Options
    Some people on here need to get over it. How hard is it to eat some broccoli? I eat 900g of broccoli/cauliflower every single day.

It's pretty easy:
    Cook it
    Put it in your mouth
    Chew it
    Swallow it

If the taste is so bad, get some tomato ketchup or something.
    OOO! I 2nd this sentiment. But I also feel every one here who doesn't want to eat broccoli that stinks or that is SQUISHY OR MUSHY! BLECH. My cousins DH made it for us one year for Christmas and we have been baking it every since! You preheat the oven @ 350 for 15minutes and then put it in a casserole dish for 10-13minutes so it's hot all the way through but still CRUNCHY. WE LOVE IT. And if you need extra incentive shred cheese on it or add breadcrumbs! But the crunchy is SOO good!

I don't have a problem with eating veggies. I'm not great at cooking/seasoning them well. I fall back on spinach salad but I don't want one every single day. I've been joining these veggie challenges partially to prompt myself to find new ways of makin stuff so I'm not relying on the same 3 canned veggies and a salad all the time. I have a few new additions lately due to these challenges.

Also, I think not everyone grew up with this habit and changing it can take time. Personally, I applaud everyone who joins this challenge for whatever reason they join.

As for the recipe, are you referring to roasting the broccoli? Roasting veggies is something new I've been experimenting with recently. I didn't see olive oil or anything else mentioned in your description though (other than the optional stuff) so I'm not quite sure this is what you are referring to. Please clarify so I can try something new.

An easy breakfast is to cut up and saute an onion, bell peper, and tomato and then add beans or eggs on top...kind of like a nice huevos rancheros but minus the tortilla (or eggs if you dont like). I love veggies for breakfast!
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    breakfast : melon, ginger, raspberries, lime, apples, pears, orange,

dinner : carrots, ginger, celery, eggplant, zucchini, orange, lime, beet, apples, kale, orange, cucumber, red bell pepper

mmmmm
  • cass678910
    cass678910 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Are soy chicken patties considered a serving of veggies? Really confused about that.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Are soy chicken patties considered a serving of veggies? Really confused about that.

Soy beans are considered a vegetable.
  • kcoftx
    Options
    Last night I had a late snack so I added nori to my list. One of my friend repeatedly has sushi on his list so I had my kids walk across the street to get me a set. I shared with my husband since it was considered a snack.
  • cass678910
    Options
    I finally met the goal! Woo!

Breakfast: 1 banana (1 serving)
    Lunch: lettuce and tomatoes on sandwich (1/2 serving)
    Dinner: veggie chicken patty (1 serving) green beans (1 1/2 servings)
    Snack: apple (1 serving)

5 servings total! Yay! I am discovering that canned green beans are my go to vegetable at dinner..they are delish with parmesean cheese. But I'm wondering..are they really all that good for you? Also, what're your go to veggies at dinner?
  • Dementedllama
    Dementedllama Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    That's so not hard! I'm in!
  • kcoftx
    Options
    [/quote]

An easy breakfast is to cut up and saute an onion, bell peper, and tomato and then add beans or eggs on top...kind of like a nice huevos rancheros but minus the tortilla (or eggs if you dont like). I love veggies for breakfast!
    [/quote]

I can't make fried eggs or even omelets worth a darn but you did encourage me to add a bunch more veggies than usual to my scrambled eggs this morning. I can't say it was my tastiest version but it was a powerhouse.

Spinach
    Zucchini
    Squash
    Purple Onion
    Green Olives
    Jalapeños
    Garlic
    Bell Pepper
    Mushroom
  • jaena4
    jaena4 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I did good today and lousy on Thursday:

Thursday:
    1/2 cup seaweed and cucumber salad
    Subway veggie sub with spinach, tomatos, cucumbers, pickles, black olives, and onions

Friday:
    almost a cup of fresh pineapple
    a cup of mixed fresh berries
    A little over a cup of raw broccoli and cauliflower w/ hummos
    Veggie pizza
    Pretty large salad from the salad bar
  • kcoftx
    Options
    I did good today and lousy on Thursday:

Thursday:
    1/2 cup seaweed and cucumber salad
    Subway veggie sub with spinach, tomatos, cucumbers, pickles, black olives, and onions

Friday:
    almost a cup of fresh pineapple
    a cup of mixed fresh berries
    A little over a cup of raw broccoli and cauliflower w/ hummos
    Veggie pizza
    Pretty large salad from the salad bar

Yes, I would say you did much better today!
  • kcoftx
    Options
    12/29
    There are a variety of lists online related to serving sizes for vegetables and fruit but I didn't find a comprehensive one and there seems to be conflicting information. Nonetheless, I'm trying to give it my best educated guess based on today's foods.

[1/2 serving] Bell Pepper (2 strips/rings)
    [1 serving] Green Olives (5)
    [1 serving] Squash (1/2)
    [1 serving] Zucchini (1/2)
    [1/4 serving] Purple Onion (2 slices)
    [1/4 serving] Spinach (1/2 cup)
    [1 serving] Avocado (1/2)
    [1 serving] Jalapeño (8-10 or so rings)
    [1 serving] Garlic (1 Tsp)

7 servings total
  • cass678910
    Options
    Another bad eating day..

honey crisp apple
    baby carrots
    lettuce and tomato from 2 sandwiches

I'd say a combined 3 servings..oy
  • towens00
    towens00 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kcoftx
    Options
    12/20

Not so good today.

Grape Tomatoes
    Apple
  • loveanyway
    Options
    kcoftx sent me & my goal is 5 fruit/veg per day
    today 1/1/13:
    1) mandarins
    2) olives
    3) spinach
    4) blueberries
    5) mandarins
  • kcoftx
    Options
    kcoftx sent me & my goal is 5 fruit/veg per day
    today 1/1/13:
    1) mandarins
    2) olives
    3) spinach
    4) blueberries
    5) mandarins

You did better than me today!

I had a little bit of each of the following (not enough to make a full serving of any one thing):

pickles
    olives
    jalapeño
    spinach

I need to go GROCERY SHOPPING!