June 3 MFP runner's club

Options
Mireille
Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
Alright people, I got out to run this morning at 5:30am and I feel so good. I got caught in a thunder storm for the last few minutes but it's all good.
I ran it 4 minutes faster than normal (must be the ton of carbs I ate yesterday lol).

How y'all doing this morning?

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Mireille
    Options
    Alright people, I got out to run this morning at 5:30am and I feel so good. I got caught in a thunder storm for the last few minutes but it's all good.
    I ran it 4 minutes faster than normal (must be the ton of carbs I ate yesterday lol).

• Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options

Yeah!!! I was thinking about you this morning!!! :blushing:

How far did you go? :smile:

I'm sore as heck from last nights bad run. :noway: I'll take today off & try again tomorrow. :smokin:
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I also went for a run this morning at 5:30 am with a couple of girls from my bootcamp class. We are doing a 5k on Saturday. We ran more than the 3.3 miles we needed. We did 4.5 miles in 51 minutes. I think I was the slow one but I didn't have to stop and walk any of the 4.5 miles. Woo Hoo.
  • MargieM
    MargieM Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I ran my first workout of Week 4 of Couch to 5K last night. I went into it thinking that if I couldn't do the 5 minute stretches of jogging, I would go as long as I could then walk the rest of the time. But I DID IT! I know for those of you who run miles at a time, 5 minutes at a time is nothing, but I just started this three weeks ago and could barely do the 60 seconds of jogging. My road is 1.1 miles long and I made a full circle, so I actually walked/ran 2.2 miles last night. The best part? Since I started this, I've dropped 9 pounds....
  • Shannon023
    Options
    Nice going Sherry & Margie!! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    I ran my first workout of Week 4 of Couch to 5K last night. I went into it thinking that if I couldn't do the 5 minute stretches of jogging, I would go as long as I could then walk the rest of the time. But I DID IT! I know for those of you who run miles at a time, 5 minutes at a time is nothing, but I just started this three weeks ago and could barely do the 60 seconds of jogging. My road is 1.1 miles long and I made a full circle, so I actually walked/ran 2.2 miles last night. The best part? Since I started this, I've dropped 9 pounds....

Dear Margie

I started the couch to 5K last April. Stick with it. It works. I struggled to run the recommended one minute in week one and it took me 4 months to get to running 20 minutes. This past week I ran 8 miles for the first time! I did not believe running would get easier for me. I am so glad I stuck with it.

Congratulations
    -Kechie.
  • hallusmc
    hallusmc Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if I could join this group. I love to run, unfortunatly after doing a 1/2 marathon in March I am still suffering from an IT Band injury - so I am working my way back to being a runner!!!! Today I'm off to the treadmill to get 2 miles in - I prefer to be outside, but hubby is at work and I have a 4 year old at home!!!!

18529.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • eastisrelative
    Options

I'm about to go on my first workout of Week 3 of Couch to 5K. It's awesome, isn't it? I haven't worked out before, like ever, and I'm asthmatic. But I'm able to do these workouts (I just keep my inhaler with me...I do have to use it every time, but it's not debilitating)! I'm so proud of myself! I never ever used to keep in shape!

Now if only I could stop going over my calories. :grumble:
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Good morning!

It is so awesome to see everyone checking in this morning. Nice to hear about all of your runs. I am so proud of everyone and inspired by you all.

My running buddy and I usually do a 5k today. We cut it short at 3 miles even because of a suspicious vehicle circling our route. We were running just over a 1 mile loop around her house and he passed us 8 times. The guy was driving an unmarked moving truck type vehicle. He would stop at all the stop signs and wait for us to go by never making eye contact. Weird... So we made sure he didn't see us stop at her house to call the police.

Be careful. I don't know how many of you think about safety when you are out running.

My running buddy and I don't run the same routes all of the time.
    I print my route and leave it on the kitchen counter for my family.
    I tell my family how long I will be gone.
    We run early in the morning. I read somewhere that you are less likely to encounter "bad guys" early in the morning. Apparently most of them stay up late.:laugh:

What are some things that you do to stay safe while running?

"Run like someone is chasing you.":noway:
    -Kechie.
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Just wondering if I could join this group. I love to run, unfortunatly after doing a 1/2 marathon in March I am still suffering from an IT Band injury - so I am working my way back to being a runner!!!! Today I'm off to the treadmill to get 2 miles in - I prefer to be outside, but hubby is at work and I have a 4 year old at home!!!!

18529.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Welcome! Some of us run on treadmills. Some of us run outside. I think we even have some walkers. This is a great place to share your successes and challenges. Everyone is super nice and very supportive of one another. Enjoy your workout today!
  • Mireille
    Options

Yeah!!! I was thinking about you this morning!!! :blushing:

How far did you go? :smile:

I'm sore as heck from last nights bad run. :noway: I'll take today off & try again tomorrow. :smokin:

Oh Shannon, you are way too sweet. :flowerforyou:
    Although I have been running, this past week has been pretty ruff food wise. I feel different today so I think I might be back to my normal self. lol
    I ended up running 5 miles (8k) which was great!

I read your post from yesterday. Sorry you had a bad run. :frown:
    I do have to admit I laughed out loud when you wrote that you looked like Alice Cooper!! I bet your next run will be much better!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Mireille
    Options
    It's funny you mention safety cuz I was thinking about it this morning. I'm always running at the same time and the same route (I don't have any other route options) and I was thinking to myself that I do need to increase my speed in case some madman decided he wanted my voluptuous body!! lmao

The good news is that there is a lot of traffic at 5:30am in my neighborhood and I do feel pretty safe. With that being said, I don't listen to music when I run because I like to hear what's going on around me. No place is 100% freaks free so we really need to be aware of our surroundings.

Your story sounds pretty scary and the good news is that you had a running partner with you. We always feel a little safer when we have someone with us.
    Did you gals memorize his license plate? What did the police say?

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Shannon023
    Options
    Good morning!

It is so awesome to see everyone checking in this morning. Nice to hear about all of your runs. I am so proud of everyone and inspired by you all.

My running buddy and I usually do a 5k today. We cut it short at 3 miles even because of a suspicious vehicle circling our route. We were running just over a 1 mile loop around her house and he passed us 8 times. The guy was driving an unmarked moving truck type vehicle. He would stop at all the stop signs and wait for us to go by never making eye contact. Weird... So we made sure he didn't see us stop at her house to call the police.

Be careful. I don't know how many of you think about safety when you are out running.

We run early in the morning. I read somewhere that you are less likely to encounter "bad guys" early in the morning. Apparently most of them stay up late.:laugh:

-Kechie.

Yiikes!!! Glad you had your running buddy with you. :heart:

Does anyone carry mace or pepper spray when they run? The only real danger I've ever been in was a couple loose dogs came after me. I ran out in front of a car so I would have something in between me & the Cujo-twins. :angry:
  • buckeyebabe
    buckeyebabe Posts: 235
    Options
    HEY MARGIE-- It is absolutely a big deal!! Don't think that anyone hear would ever think otherwise. You just deciding to start running and being healthy is an amazing and wonderful step!! Whether you run 1 minute to a a multitude of miles!! Every step and every day gets easier and easier, believe it or not. We are here for you for support, advice and yes, even some butt-kicking accountability! You go girl! We are proud of you!

SLYTHERIN-- kudos to you too! Just deciding to get off that couch and take control is an amazing and wonderful first step!! I, like you, am also asthmatic. It makes things a little more difficult but you can do it. I have been running for years but really kicked it up in the last 8-10 months. I am now running an average of 4.5 miles 5-6 days a week. You will be too soon! Definitely run with your inhaler and your cell phone. Also, like Kechie suggested make sure someone knows your route and the approximate time you should be home if you are running outside. I try and do this as well just in case I get into a medical situation.

HALLUSMC - Welcome aboard! Yikes, sorry to hear about the band injury...that's a significant one!! Be careful and don't overdue. I wish you luck

You all are so inspiring!
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Last night I went 6 miles on the elliptical. Today my plan is to run 3 miles (probably on the treadmill because it's rainy here.) I'm going to try to walk to work if it isn't pouring too hard. Have a great day everybody and be safe when you are out there running!
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Your story sounds pretty scary and the good news is that you had a running partner with you. We always feel a little safer when we have someone with us.
    Did you gals memorize his license plate? What did the police say?

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Definitely. I got his license plate. Two other ladies who were both out (not together) walking dogs saw him too. One of them said she got his plate too. Of course, none of us had a cell phone.

We usually see 6-8 other people on foot at some point during our morning run. Plus the kiddos are at the neighborhood bus stops. Not much car traffic in my neighborhood. Maybe 2-3 cars pass us our entire run...

We live in a very small town. I am sure the police sent someone over right away. I did not stick around. We decided that we did not want him to see me get into my car parked in front of her house or see which house she lived in. When he went to turn around again, I got into my car and headed in the opposite direction and she went into her house to call the police.
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Good morning!

-Kechie.

Yiikes!!! Glad you had your running buddy with you. :heart:

Does anyone carry mace or pepper spray when they run? The only real danger I've ever been in was a couple loose dogs came after me. I ran out in front of a car so I would have something in between me & the Cujo-twins. :angry:

I have thought about getting pepper spray because I have had some scary situations with neighborhood dogs too. After today, maybe I'll get more serious about carrying a pepper spray.
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Thanks for reminding me about the pepper spray. We had an incident this morning. As you know with 3 women together we got kinda chatty. Part of our route took us through the park and the path was in the woods. (Nothing happened) but as we came out of the park and back on the street we were passed by another runner doing the same route (the 5k on Saturday). Luckily we knew this man because he is in our bootcamp class as well. I turned to my running mates and said was he behind us in the woods because I didn't hear him. The other ladies looked at me and said "Ya know, I didn't think to look back and check to see if there was anyone on the trail with us." Just a reminder to stay safe and be aware because we were not this morning.

I like the idea of putting the route in paper so someone knows where you are going to be. I never thought of that either.
  • kechiemc
    Options
    I use runningmap.com to map and print my routes. There is another site called map my run as well.
  • Shannon023
    Options
    I use runningmap.com to map and print my routes. There is another site called map my run as well.

We're lucky where we have a lot of paths around our house. I usually don't know where I'm going until I head out. :ohwell: