Is Healthy Food Really More Expensive?

Options

Replies

• LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    We spend $200 a month to feed the two of us and our son, and we eat organically when possible. I've also got it down to a science on what we use, what we're not going to use, what we can spend our money on, etc. It took us a while to get our system down of what we use and what gets thrown away, etc. It just takes some time to figure out how to push your budget where it's supposed to go. We have to take advantage of sales, etc. But when you only have $200 a month to spend on groceries, you have to figure out how to eat healthy on that amount of money, and I've figured it out, at least for us.
    Also, we spent a LOT more money on food when we were both eating crap all the time, because the stuff we bought went so quickly. I also make all of our bread, pasta, etc. from scratch, and that saves us a bit of money too. And I think it tastes better.
  • timisw
    timisw Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    For me its cheaper too. SERIOUSLY cheaper. no more $20 meals from pizza joints or mcdonalds. I mean really, a cut of lean meat, a baked potato and some greens, prepped at home is gonna cost you like 3 bucks, waaaaayyy less if you shop carefully. Come on, people who say its too expensive are looking for an excuse.

where do you shop???

I would LOVE to find a place where I could get a lean cut of meat for $3! ~smiling~

Is 97% fat free ground beef even that cheap?

I do think that when you compare eating healthy to eating out, you are going to be about equal!

I did have a Shrimp Boil this weekend that fed like 10 people that didnt cost too much and I consider it VERY healthy -

2lbs of jumbo shrimp $10
    3lbs of medium shrimp $12
    2lbs of medium scallops $10
    5lbs of red potatoes $3
    16 Ears of Corn $4
    Seasoning $5

And it was MOST delicious!

Now if I wouldnt of put so much seasoning in it, I wouldn't of had to drink so much beer!
  • jamie77
    jamie77 Posts: 101
    Options
    We spend $200 a month to feed the two of us and our son, and we eat organically when possible. I've also got it down to a science on what we use, what we're not going to use, what we can spend our money on, etc. It took us a while to get our system down of what we use and what gets thrown away, etc. It just takes some time to figure out how to push your budget where it's supposed to go. We have to take advantage of sales, etc. But when you only have $200 a month to spend on groceries, you have to figure out how to eat healthy on that amount of money, and I've figured it out, at least for us.
    Also, we spent a LOT more money on food when we were both eating crap all the time, because the stuff we bought went so quickly. I also make all of our bread, pasta, etc. from scratch, and that saves us a bit of money too. And I think it tastes better.

Wow...share your secrets...please! I know I could cut my bill down. Mine includes household items as well, laundry detergent, shampoo, cleaning supplies,etc. I would be absolutely ecstatic to get under $500
  • LML79
    LML79 Posts: 697
    Options
    For me its cheaper too. SERIOUSLY cheaper. no more $20 meals from pizza joints or mcdonalds. I mean really, a cut of lean meat, a baked potato and some greens, prepped at home is gonna cost you like 3 bucks, waaaaayyy less if you shop carefully. Come on, people who say its too expensive are looking for an excuse.

where do you shop???

I would LOVE to find a place where I could get a lean cut of meat for $3! ~smiling~

I do think that when you compare eating healthy to eating out, you are going to be about equal!

I did have a Shrimp Boil this weekend that fed like 10 people that didnt cost too much and I consider it VERY healthy -

2lbs of jumbo shrimp $10
    3lbs of medium shrimp $12
    5lbs of red potatoes $3
    16 Ears of Corn $4
    Seasoning $5

And it was MOST delicious!

Now if I wouldnt of put so much seasoning in it, I would of had to drink so much beer!

:laugh:
  • LokiFae
    Options

Wow...share your secrets...please! I know I could cut my bill down. Mine includes household items as well, laundry detergent, shampoo, cleaning supplies,etc. I would be absolutely ecstatic to get under $500

Well, making bread and pasta and things like that helps a lot. I like to do that because then I know that we're getting true whole grain bread, and I KNOW what went into it. We eat a lot of pasta with fresh tomatoes. We're also lucky, because my stepdad is a crazy gardening machine, so we get about half of his harvest, because they can't eat all of the stuff he plants. So we always have fresh produce during the summer, and I can or freeze a lot of stuff to tide us over the winter and spring. I also buy a lot of big bulk packages of meat and then individually freeze them into portions. That helps a lot too. A big family-size box of brown rice will last us a whole month, and it's really filling.
    Oh, and I wasn't including household items. Those cost quite a bit during the month. With an 11-month old, we do a LOT of laundry. :bigsmile:
  • bonkers5975
    bonkers5975 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Well, I can see that it would be cheaper to eat healthy if you ate out alot pre-diet. But my family has always eaten out only once or twice a year! Therefore, going from enriched pastas, rice and flour, to whole grains, and from processed meat to fresh is way more expensive for us. Look at the dairy alone. Fat free cheese is at least a dollar more per package than full fat. A gallon of 1% milk is 3.67 while a half gallon of soy milk is over four dollars. Full fat margarine is at least a dollar cheaper than light. Olive oil! OMG! I think it all depends on your prior situation, and just how astronomically you were spending before. We've always been on a shoestring. Used to be a box of mac and cheese was a lifesaver at 44 cents :tongue:

My family also never ate more than a bag of chips a week, and I've always done my own baking as well. So yes, it definitely depends!

:smile:
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Everyone who buys in bulk needs to break down how many meals they are getting out of their shopping, it may cost hundreds of dollars in a month or a week, but do those groceries last the entire month, maybe more? The initial cost of buying in bulk equals out over time.
  • timisw
    Options
    Everyone who buys in bulk needs to break down how many meals they are getting out of their shopping, it may cost hundreds of dollars in a month or a week, but do those groceries last the entire month, maybe more? The initial cost of buying in bulk equals out over time.

But only if you can keep it fresh and/or eat it fast enough!

Bulk shaves pennies off here and there, but can sometimes hurt you if you dont do it right!
  • timisw
    Options
    :laugh:

:devil:
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Personally, when I was eating crap food and adding chips and cookies to my grocery cart, at 4 bucks a pop, they added up. Now fruits and veggies are typically around 1.50 or 2 dollars a lb. But then again its only 2 people eating here, those lbs of fruits and veggies probably add up for a full family.
    But also, eating boxed mac and cheese and hot dogs, as some one said before, was WAY cheaper than buying cuts of meat. But frozen processed food was very expensive as well.

In the end, my grocery bill is much less than what it used to be, now that I dont buy any processed meats or chips and snacks. I buy in bulk and freeze what I get into individual portions usually. I also buy my meat from a meat market / butcher now, prices are usually a buck or two less than at the grocery stores.

People also need to consider geographic location, shipping costs are going to affect certain foods. Living in the middle of the US and buying fish is going to be a lot more expensive than on the coast. Same goes for buying oranges and other fruits in the north.
    My grandmother for years has shaved a lot off her bill by doing her own gardening of tomato, green beans, zucchini, squash, pumpkins, cucumbers and more. Its all in what you have and what you do with it.
  • gabrielled
    gabrielled Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    TIMISW! Exactly! Only my crutch was rum and coke!
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I vote... more expensive... :huh:

What I find that what makes eating healthy most expensive is that fact that the best food for you is perishable... therefore it doesn't last very long. :frown: We often have to throw out food that's gone bad... i hate to even admit that out loud!!! :noway:

It is nice to think that we can make our own pasta, breads, meats, cut up your own fruits, veggies, etc. However, I hardly have enough time in the day to workout. :ohwell: I try not to be negative though... I once heard someone say "You pay now or you pay later!". :happy: I stand by that b/c I believe it!

All in all, I find that whether I am eating out or eating in... eating healthy IS more expensive... at least for me it is. :embarassed: BUT it's a sacrifice I'm willing to put in my budget if it means living a healthier, longer life. :wink:

:heart: KB
  • lolakey
    lolakey Posts: 91
    Options
    I have been re-using my old containers. Eugene, Oregon caters to my hippy like ways, but major cities have bulk sections, right? I reuse my old oatmeal, yogurt, jars, and misc. containers to get bulk black beans, rice, rolled oats, dried fruits, nuts, pastas, peanut butter, olive oil, etc. Last time I was at the store, I only bought two packaged items ... bread and almond milk. I even refill my dish soap and laundry containers, but like I said, Eugene has more options. Just make sure that you get your containers weighed (the tare) before you fill them up.

I'm sure that it saves me money, because I'm cutting down on the packaging. Next time I shop, I'll do a comparison on prices and let ya'll know the outcome.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    We've saved loads of money since we started eating healthy.

For one, we're eating less--instead of 3 pork chops a piece (yes, you heard me right!) at a meal, we eat 1 a piece. Instead of a whole huge steak a piece, we split one.

We've always saved about $200 or more a month by cutting back on not eating out anymore. The food all tastes so salty and blah! to me now that we only eat out about 2x a month instead of the 3-4x a week that we had been.

So my vote--LOADS CHEAPER!
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options

Exactly!

It's just Jude and I and if you cut OUT household items we still shop for less than 200 a month because we don't have a CHOICE.

Seriously, though I'm so on to this diet thing that I've learnt to dealt with a hungry belly! I'm not sure I could afford to do a heavy workout!

RE: Fast food. I could get the 5 for 5 deal and get 5 med pizzas for $5 ea...that's $25 and could feed Jude and I for like 4 days straight! Since pizza would go bad, I could get just three and be content for two...you get the idea...still less than $3/meal.

Drive-thru: I could get a $1 burger and be satisfied. Even 2 $1 burgers!

Mac N Cheese: 97c box is good for two meals...lol.

I also happen to be a champion baker and while it is cheaper *sometimes* to bake your own things, I know that it is WAY cheaper to bake a boxed cake or most of the time - beer breads, cinnamon rolls, etc.

It just seems cheaper to me sometimes because I generally have flour, yeast, baking soda, etc. in the house already.
  • maverickyanda
    Options

Well, making bread and pasta and things like that helps a lot. I like to do that because then I know that we're getting true whole grain bread, and I KNOW what went into it. We eat a lot of pasta with fresh tomatoes. We're also lucky, because my stepdad is a crazy gardening machine, so we get about half of his harvest, because they can't eat all of the stuff he plants. So we always have fresh produce during the summer, and I can or freeze a lot of stuff to tide us over the winter and spring. I also buy a lot of big bulk packages of meat and then individually freeze them into portions. That helps a lot too. A big family-size box of brown rice will last us a whole month, and it's really filling.
    Oh, and I wasn't including household items. Those cost quite a bit during the month. With an 11-month old, we do a LOT of laundry. :bigsmile:

So essentially what you're saying is that you're getting free veggies.
    And you weren't including household items.

So it really costs about 300+ or so a month for food (give or take cause I don't know what your family eats in terms of veggies).
  • maverickyanda
    Options
    Well, I can see that it would be cheaper to eat healthy if you ate out alot pre-diet. But my family has always eaten out only once or twice a year! Therefore, going from enriched pastas, rice and flour, to whole grains, and from processed meat to fresh is way more expensive for us. Look at the dairy alone. Fat free cheese is at least a dollar more per package than full fat. A gallon of 1% milk is 3.67 while a half gallon of soy milk is over four dollars. Full fat margarine is at least a dollar cheaper than light. Olive oil! OMG! I think it all depends on your prior situation, and just how astronomically you were spending before. We've always been on a shoestring. Used to be a box of mac and cheese was a lifesaver at 44 cents :tongue:

My family also never ate more than a bag of chips a week, and I've always done my own baking as well. So yes, it definitely depends!

:smile:

We are talking about prices relative to junk food, not relative to prior spending.

I so need to get out of this thread and into the shower...
  • GIGINATOR
    GIGINATOR Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    It goes both ways, definitely my grocery store bill is WAY higher. As people on here said, the lower fat, sugar free, etc stuff costs more. Leaner cuts of meat, more money than the plain old hamburger for 1.19/lb. Since I have made the healthy lifestyle change, we only eat out maybe once or twice a month whereas before it was 2-3x/wk. So that saves a LOT there. We probably average out to about the same in the long run.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options

where do you shop???

keep in mind I'm talking per 3 oz serving, which is how much I eat at a sitting. A bulk package of 8 boneless skinless chicken breasts runs me about 20.00, I eat about 1 half in a sitting, so that's 16 servings of lean meat for 20.00, thats $1.25 per meat serving. I know that not everyone controls their portions that way and some require more calories than I do and thats fine, but if you're careful and with practice, eating healthy isn't as expensive as people think.
  • LokiFae
    Options

So essentially what you're saying is that you're getting free veggies.
    And you weren't including household items.

So it really costs about 300+ or so a month for food (give or take cause I don't know what your family eats in terms of veggies).

It costs what I said it costs. The question was asked whether it was cheaper for us to eat healthy, and I stated my story that it was. Yeah, it's great for us because my stepdad gardens, but if he didn't, we would, and it would still be cheaper for us.