Great idea for New Years (Not really a resolution)

Options

Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    to ice skate and exercise more, gonna get a membership where i take my classes this weekend, scared but i know i can do it!

do you happen to know where I can get some old skates refurbished?
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I do get annoyed at millions of people ( tens) taking up equipment at the gym and cramming into the changing rooms in the new year but as someone posted on my status earlier - maybe I could motivate them to keep it up after march?

I just intend to keep doing what I have been doing.

I can't deny myself things because that's not living - there's no point to living if I can't have chocolate! (Sorry that is so shallow)
    I intend to keep going to the gym, watching what I eat so as not to pile weight back on and to have chocolate every day if I feel like it.

:-)

Quality chocolate is best. Check out a chocolate factory near you. Or check out one near me. TAZA sells theirs online and it's Mexican stone ground chocolate. No added crap.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I'm getting a heart rate monitor. I have not been honest and on top of my food log. The goal for 2013 (and it's starting now, not on the 1st) is to exercise 3-4 times per week and log my food. No more crazy diets. Straight up low fat and low cal and watching what I eat. I will eat like a normal person, be healthy and exercise.

"normal" is underrated. I've always been a healthy eater. But, you can gain back the weight with healthy food. I've proven that.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I am going to make sure I eat more raw foods, remembering the reason....my husband and daughter's health. He has promised to eat what i cook and she kinda has to (she's 4). If i make this about them and not me, i'm hoping it will stick this time. We have also agreed to no eating out for the month of January (except my work holiday party).

fantastic! speaking of raw: there's some great guides online about what is in season when.
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    My overall goals are to find a new job/career that has a work/life balance and encourages me to grow personally and professionally (where I am now is the complete opposite).... and to start lifting weights!
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    I am going to start running and walking and playing again! Enjoying life again....stop wasting away the minutes doing things that don't make me happy.
  • amazinggrace395
    Options
    I promise to myself that I will Run for 30 minutes twice a week and do Just Dance 4 for 1 hour everyday. I need this to help condition myself and my lungs for the military physical fitness test by doing cardio. Just Dance 4 has 4 or 5 different workouts that are extremely fun to do and they even calculate the approximate number of calories you burned based on your energy level. Even if its not necessarily doing what i think it is, its a fun way to get me up off the couch and moving! the running is so i can track how conditioned I am.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    My overall goals are to find a new job/career that has a work/life balance and encourages me to grow personally and professionally (where I am now is the complete opposite).... and to start lifting weights!

work life balance is important to me too, that's why I loved your response.

I have a job that I get out at 4:30 every day, no questions asked. And 3:30 on Fridays in the summer. :) Not in my field but I've made a switch for the better.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I promise to myself that I will Run for 30 minutes twice a week and do Just Dance 4 for 1 hour everyday. I need this to help condition myself and my lungs for the military physical fitness test by doing cardio. Just Dance 4 has 4 or 5 different workouts that are extremely fun to do and they even calculate the approximate number of calories you burned based on your energy level. Even if its not necessarily doing what i think it is, its a fun way to get me up off the couch and moving! the running is so i can track how conditioned I am.

oh my gosh I love Just Dance!
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I am going to start running and walking and playing again! Enjoying life again....stop wasting away the minutes doing things that don't make me happy.

GREAT idea. Love it. Life is too short.
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options

Quality chocolate is best. Check out a chocolate factory near you. Or check out one near me. TAZA sells theirs online and it's Mexican stone ground chocolate. No added crap.

Ooooh
  • amazinggrace395
    Options
    RevAbs is so much fun. Challenging though. It kinda starts you out on a hard level instead intermediate so your not over pushing your limits, but its great.
  • AmandaV11
    AmandaV11 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I spent half 2012, stressed and depressed about a job I use to like but started to hate (been there for 5 years). I think this played a big part that I only lost a few pounds. However I have had some success this year in fitness, lost body fat, run my second marathon and three half marathons and me and my husband started to go to a boot camp type of gym together three times a week. I am going to make sure I don't only hold my fitness success with the lbs I have lost. This year I pledge to do a triathlon and really track my food and think about what am eating.
  • Onesnap
    Options

Ooooh

I went to the factory recently and it was so amazing. Organic too. Good for people with allergies or sensitivity too since there's no soy.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I spent half 2012, stressed and depressed about a job I use to like but started to hate (been there for 5 years). I think this played a big part that I only lost a few pounds. However I have had some success this year in fitness, lost body fat, run my second marathon and three half marathons and me and my husband started to go to a boot camp type of gym together three times a week. I am going to make sure I don't only hold my fitness success with the lbs I have lost. This year I pledge to do a triathlon and really track my food and think about what am eating.

been there (had a horrible horrible boss once and my whole group quit). Good luck in 2013!
  • Onesnap
    Options
    RevAbs is so much fun. Challenging though. It kinda starts you out on a hard level instead intermediate so your not over pushing your limits, but its great.

My gym has a new abs class. Maybe I should try it.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Actually get started on my body-weight exercises. I just can't "take' the gym and the whole driving 20 minutes to get there, 20 minutes home, hour for the workout.... I can just go downstairs and get a workout in in just the travel and changing time buying back an hour a day for other important things, like the home-cooked meals allowing me to cut back on the soy and corn that's seemingly in everything processed.
    Treadmill and exercise bike are in the garage, where it's too darn cold to use them this time of year (unheated) so they need to come in. Making room in the basement... shelves allowing vertical storage where you don't need to take apart the stack every time you need something which is "always" in the bottom container of the stack makes a lot more usable room.
    Make use of Netflix to keep me motivated for workouts... oh you want to watch X Get on the treadmill or bike and watch during your workout, no commercials just get the workout in.. we'll see how it goes but that's "the plan" currently.
    Bump up the time walking with the dog and get this weight under control. It was in the past when I didn't do much more than walk / bicycle / canoe / swim and I've got 3 of those 4 available here year round.
  • jenstanley13
    jenstanley13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I am going to get outside and enjoy it with my daughter more.
    I am going to focus on eating healthier at home and not eating out except for a special treat occassionally.
    I am going to get back on track with working out and focus on getting healthy and not necessarily pounds lost.
  • BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I also am trying to not make it about the scale anymore. Though I must admit that I do have a goal to lose 40 pounds as soon as possible (gained 40 in grief-related emotional eating over two months in the summer and have yet to take it off)...

My goal for 2013 is to RUN a half marathon in October. That means that I will need to spend 9 months learning how to run 13.1 miles straight (or with as few walking breaks as possible). I've already written out a training schedule.

Right now I can run for 5 straight minutes at a pretty slow pace. So I have my work cut out for me.

I think that giving yourself a fitness goal or some other healthy goal is better than a weight loss goal. I'm going with the theory that if I behave in a healthy way, my body will find its ideal weight all on its own.
  • verdancyhime
    verdancyhime Posts: 237 Member
    Options

Clothes have always been a motivation for me. I HATE New Years resolutions. I hate the folks that join a gym and take parking spots only to keep paying and stop coming come March. They are annoying and many wear perfume to the gym (gak!) so it's clear they are there to pick up dates and not actually workout. (not all, but most).

I don't wear perfume to the gym, but... I need to start going again, because I signed a two year contract a year ago only to find out that it seriously triggers my social anxiety, but that not going makes me depressed and thinking about the whole thing makes me feel like a failure at life.

Just to be a devil's advocate, one of the ways I deal with my fears about being ridiculed or judged is my wardrobe. I am someone who's afraid to talk to new people I think are cool, but has no qualms about wearing some REALLY outlandish clothing. My makeup, clothes, hairdo, jewelry, etc. are like armor for me. I was broke for the past two years and one of the hardest parts was not being able to purchase or wear anything but the type of plain clothing I can wear to my job. So when I go to the gym, I may be wearing tinted chapstick, because I would only leave my house without lip product on if it was on FIRE because doing so is terrifying. I braid my hair into a cute style that keeps it out of my face and my gym clothes are fairly practical but cuteish. And I don't wear perfume, but I totally spray my face with spray anti-acne toner as I leave to help clean off the sweat. Because these things make me feel less afraid to walk the 15 minutes to and from the gym, and showering and changing in a public place is out of the question.

Maybe if my entire Anytime Fitness location didn't have walls made out of mirror and picture windows, I wouldn't mind so much, but it's the only place within walking distance and I don't have a car.

(I am getting help for my issues, I realize this post makes me sound insane.)