Running question

Options
I am new to running. Actually I just started W6 of the C25K. I totally love it and look forward to getting out there each week. The only problem, as I get more into the longer distances, I notice that my left shin is killing me. Has anyone had this and if so, how do you deal with it and help get past it.

Replies

• cymills
    cymills Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Good for you for this new start. You may want to check this topic under the search tab.
    This topic has very extensive infomation that was recently discuseed. search away.....
  • porkchopz
    porkchopz Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    That's funny. My left shin has always been my problem spot, too! I finished C25K in November, and I think my left shin started hurting in week 4 or so. Over the second half of the C25k program I got aches and pains in new areas (calves, glutes) because my body was getting accustomed to the distance.

Your shoes are probably the cause. I am still wearing my bad shoes and am still experiencing shin pain. Now that I'm running 6-7 miles at a stretch, they are causing more problems (I now have 3 black toenails). I would recommend donating those shoes and getting a new pair from a place that accepts returns even after they've been worn. Remember - your running shoes should be 1/2-1 full size bigger than you'd ordinarily wear, because your feet swell when running.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    How old are your shoes? You may need new shoes and ones specifically for running. Also, consider inserts if you have flatter arches. Could be that you're favoring your left leg too much when you run putting more stress on it. Make sure to also stretch it out well after you're done running (google calf stretches for exercises). Hope this helps!
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    A couple of things my coach told me. If you have shin pain (muscle-like pain not shin-splints) it can be due to 1) starting off too fast and not warming up properly OR 2) the repetitive motion. So you can try starting slower and working up to your run pace. Also, when you have the pain, you can try to run on the balls of your feet for 30-60 seconds which alleviates the pressure on the shins.

Hope this helps. -Ashley
  • brunsie
    brunsie Posts: 54
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions everyone. I never even thought of the shoes. They are kinda on the old side and not really for running. I will have to go shopping I guess. HAHAHA
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    If you are running a lot you need a good pair of running shoes. They are generally a little more expensive but definitely worth the price. I have a cousin who manages a comfort shoe store and he says if you hold the shoe and try to bend it up or down (if that makes sense) it should bend at the toe and not in the middle of the shoe. If it bends in the middle it has poor arch support and this will cause you to have problems in your shins and knees. I haven't had any problems since I bought new shoes from him! I have also hear try and take some ibproufen before you run as well maybe. Lots of stretching and maybe slow it down a little bit.
  • trinitydaks
    Options
    Congrats on the running - I too want to start...

I spent 10 years in the military and ended up with severe shin splints...and it was all because of the foot wear. (Marching in combat boots really don't have any support...)

Definately upgrade your shoes to prevent any permanent damage and make sure you really warm up and stretch the calf muscle... there isn't really much muscle on the front of the shin (mostly skin with fat tissue between it and the bone - I learned that when I hit mine with a mallet) - and most pain people get is the strain on the calf muscle as it is pulled away (tearing) - you feel it in the front of the shin.

One really good exercise (which the doctor's tried to get me to do) is sit with your feet on a towel - use your toes to scrunch up the towel... this works the muscles that hurt and when damaged causes shin splints.

Again Congrats - and keep it up!
  • mlv333
    mlv333 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    One more point. If you are running on a 1/4 mile track, can also cause pain in one shin. I prefer to run around long trails to prevent this.
  • carolinaf6
    carolinaf6 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I started C25K a few months ago and stopped because my knees hurt. Can you run anywhere else aside from pavement? When I run now I try to run in grass or on softer surfaces as much as possible.
  • ldarter
    ldarter Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Definitely get some running shoes. Bad shoes can really cause a lot of problems especially as mileage increases. There is a better than even chance that it is the shoes that have caused the problem. There are two muscles in the shin area that new runners often develop problems with. The anterior tibialis muscle and the posterior tibitalis. The former is located just to the outside of the shin bone and receives a lot of shock during running. When pain develops there is feels something on the order of a "toothache" kind of pain. The later is located on the inside of the skin bone and when pain develops there it is generally known generically as shin splints. Overuse, shoe problems and running on hard surfaces can all cause tenderness and pain in the shin area. Given that you are doing the C25K a run/walk program, it is unlikely that overuse is the problem. Shin pain is a pretty common problem for beginning runners. As long as the pain is bearable and doesn't seem to get worse you can try icing your shins after running to reduce inflammation and if you are running on hard surfaces, find something more forgiving like a track surface, dirt, or grass until the pain issue subsides. But definitely it sounds like a new pair of shoes is in order.
  • brunsie
    brunsie Posts: 54
    Options
    Wonderful advice from all of you. Thanks so much.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Some general tips I have learnt having started as a complete newbie runner and trainer for a half marathon:
    1) Do not over do it. Increase your distance over time and allow rest days especially between challenging runs.
    2) If your run is more than 30mins I recommend carrying a water bottle, especially during the summer. I purchased a belt to hold my water bottle, and a few other things.
    3) If you run a long distance (say more than 1.5 hrs) make sure you have something to replenish your energy.
    4) If you have a tendency to breath through your mouth, chew gum. It will help to keep your mouth moist and I like to think it make me look less silly.
    5) After a run, cold baths are your friend. They may not be comfortable but they are really good at reducing shin splints and muscle aches. I only sit in the cold bath for about 20mins, but I find if I don't do this I am really stiff and sore for days afterwards. I have tried ice packs but I don't find they work as well.
    6) Stretch well after a run. And I think it is important to stretch your back, arms, and neck as well as your legs.
  • innerhottie
    innerhottie Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    put some ice on it too after you run.
    Shin splints are terrible!