Dizzy after cardio.

Options
Last night I got home from a belated Christmas Dinner with my family. I had eaten some chocolates and treats along with healthy food I had eaten for a total of 1610 calories. I did the elliptical for 30 minutes and MFP said I burned about 306 calories, so I wasn't ridiculously low on calories. I got in the shower afterwards and started to feel really dizzy and sick. It wasn't going away so I ate a little food and it made me feel a little better, so I made a burrito and had a handful of cereal and once I was about 400 calories above my goal I finally felt better.
Is this a sign that I need to raise my goal, drink more water (I drank about 24 oz throughout the workout), or maybe I burned more calories than MFP said?

Replies

• jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    A lot of potential factors, but I've had issues before with overheating, which may be the case for you as well since you got dizzy in the shower (which I assume was hot). Sip water after your workout (don't gulp, it can make you feel sick), incorporate at least 5 minutes of cooldown and some stretching, and don't crank up the hot water in the shower, and see if that helps at all.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    You know, this just happens sometimes. If it's one off or occasional I wouldn't worry about it. Given it happened in the shower my money's on it being linked to a shift in blood pressure.
  • LaDonnaF
    LaDonnaF Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Not to be gross or getting in your business... but are you on your period?

You may also have had a sugar spike and the resulting crash which, due to your exercise, may have hit you harder than usual.

Sometimes I get dizzy when I stand up after having sit for a while following a workout. Also can get dizzy in a hot shower if I take one close to just having finished my workout.

I'd watch this though and see if it happens frequently.
  • triff14
    triff14 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    No it is not currently "my time"... I didn't even consider that it could be due to the shower. This is the first time it has happened so hopefully it won't happen again. Thanks ladies!
  • vanessa194
    vanessa194 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    yea i noticed after a workout and take a hot shower i usually feel like im gonna fall out ..
  • SlimEsq
    SlimEsq Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It could be any number of things but I wouldn't be overly concerned if it is not happening during your workout and you are not getting short of breath during your workout. It may have been that you didn't drink enough through the day, prior to your workout or it may be related to something you ate or even a virus.
  • jsickman12
    jsickman12 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you "bonked", basically your body did not have enough fuel for the workout, it is a pretty common thing. If it keeps happening, make sure you eat something an hour and a half prior to exercising.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Bonked. As a uk dweller I'm always amused by this.
  • MiCool90
    MiCool90 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Listen to no advice here... Go seek a doctors diagnosis
  • likemeinvisible
    Options

This. I've had days I didn't eat all day and then went for a two hour run. A bit of cardio or not eating up to your goal won't make you dizzy. This is serious.
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    It may have been the shower's fault. I know that I personally get dizzy in the shower sometimes when too much steam has built up
  • george29223
    george29223 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    yeah it happens it just a drop in bp because of a hot shower no biggie , like awlays keep bacon in your pockets
  • meerkat70
    Options

This. I've had days I didn't eat all day and then went for a two hour run. A bit of cardio or not eating up to your goal won't make you dizzy. This is serious.

This is funny....