What are good carbs and bad carbs?

Options
Like what should I def avoid? I have PCOS. TIA :)

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I dont know too much about PCOS, so I'm not sure what impact that has.

Good carbs: fruit and veg, good quality bread rice and pasta in moderation.

Bad carbs; pastries, cookies, sweets, pies
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Try to find carbs that don't spike your blood sugar. Do a search on "glycemic index".
  • sparkie51
    sparkie51 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I lost 46 lbs.eating complex carbs- fruit,vegetables- etc.I am never hungry and it has become my lifestyle now I plan on eating like this forever because I eat everything,I watch portions and stay away from sugars for the most part. I need to eat and this eating plan let's me eat.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Good carbs are the ones that come from whole foods like fruits and veggies.

Bad carbs are the processed ones- bread, cake cookies, etc.

I have lost over 100 pounds while eating a TON of the good kind. I am also never hungry and feel better than I ever have
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    Bad cookies!

Bad-Carb_zps7bad7d4d.jpg
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Good carbs are the ones that allow you to maintain a caloric deficit.

Bad carbs are the ones you take in that put you into a caloric surplus.

Absent any medical condition, it's as simple as that (I know nothing about PCOS, so don't know if/how macronutrient intake affects it.)
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Low glycaemic index/ glycaemic load for PCOS and the less processed (including cooking!) the better - low sugar fruits, most vegetables, barley, beans, lentils. In moderation brown basmati rice, jumbo or steel cut oats, sweet potatoes. Limit or eliminate added sugars, white refined carbs, regular rice, most wheat products, white potatoes. Always combine carbs with protein and fat to slow the digestion, can also use grapefruit, vinegar or lemon juice to the same effect. Be sure you are getting plenty of mineral rich foods and essential fatty acids especially long chain omega-3s because there is some evidence linking certain nutrient deficiencies to insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes.